Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Help with constipation, TMI

I was wondering when everyone else does for constipation and if you can recommend a laxative that works for you. I have honestly NEVER had this problem before. I regularly take Tylenol 3 with codeine for my back pain and I eat rice and popcorn etc with no ill effects. I started taking iron supplements four days ago because I am anemic, don't eat red meat, have a heavy TOM and I am losing hair badly. I noticed my weight went up two pounds after taking the first iron supplement. I thought it was water weight but it has not decreased yet and I have not went off plan at all. I noticed when I "went to the bathroom" two days ago there was a lot less than usual. I am always very regular. I barely went at all yesterday and my stomach started to hurt. Today I haven't went at all and I feel bloated. I bought some stool softeners yesterday and took two. I took one today too but they haven't worked. At this point, I think I need a laxative or something. I have never taken one before. The problem is that I am going out tomorrow and I don't want to have to run to the bathroom.
Not sure what type to choose and what effects it will have. Sorry for too much information LOL, but I have never had to deal with this before.

Any suggestions?
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

First, I would take a look at your diet and make sure your eating plenty of leafy greens and veggies, maybe lay off the rice, and add some whole grains. Add a lemon wedge to your water if your not already doing so. Are you exercising? Sometimes exercise gets things moving. Also, I know when I first started eating clean, I was having the same problem. It took my body at least 3 weeks to get back in to synch and its only starting to become regular again. As a last resort on a few occasions when things became very uncomfortable I did have to purchase Sennekot - a natural, overnight laxative that helped things along.
Stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #3  
I am worth it

Thanks for the help stella. I guess I made it sound bad like I was eating tons of things that bind me up LOL. I actually don't eat badly, I was just making a point that I have never been in this situation even though I "can" eat things that may cause problems for other people. I have upped my fiber today, drinking more water than usual and I always eat lots of veggies. I am actually having a big salad for lunch right now
I may just try the exercise, I was actually putting it off because my stomach feels uncomfortable. I will keep the Sennekot in mind, thanks

Last edited by sweetnlow28; 06-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #4  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

It's most like a reaction to the iron supplements. It should even out once your body gets used to them, though! Make sure you're eating enough fiber and getting enough water. And exercise--even if you're feeling bloated and just plain don't want to, it'll help!
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #5  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I've heard that iron can bind you up so that might be what's going on. I know before I started eating healthy constipation was never ever a problem at all however, since giving up junk food if I don't get plenty of fresh low starch veggies every day I'll feel the results the next day. I drink coffee, which really helps with this issue but if you're low in iron then coffee isn't a good solution for you at all (it reduces your absorption of iron).
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

There's a great herbal laxative called "Swiss Kriss." It's all natural and comes in either tablet or a sort of twiggy form. (Go with the tablets.) It's gentle but really works -- no explosions. I take two and it works by the end of the day, without any emergency "gotta go" feelings. Three is pushing it and I'd avoid taking four. You get it at Whole Foods or any health/vitamin store. I haven't seen it in pharmacies tho.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

another vote for exercise. Run if you run, if you dont run do hills or things that work the glutes. When the glute muscles work it massages the intestines. As any runner will attest. Sigh

Iron is a killer.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yeah, it's probably the iron (although I'm surprised that the narcotic pain meds don't cause this problem for you...I have a neck/shoulder injury and every darned time I have to take them, everything slows down).

Traditional Medicinals has a tea (it's called Smooth Move) that works well for me...normal laxatives make me REALLY sick for an entire day, but the tea just takes care of the problem. One cup before bed and I'm good.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

I prefer fiber suppliments to laxatives for curing that problem. I love fiberOne cereal (the rabbit pellet kind, not the flakes). It contains enough fiber to keep me regular. Also, a good yogurt with active cultures helps too.

A good quality psyllium fiber suppliment can help - like the fiber one, it usually takes a day for it to kick in and work for me. But it works.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnlow28 View Post
I started taking iron supplements four days ago because I am anemic
That is why. Your body will adjust. Drink plenty of water. When I was PG with my son, I had to adjust to the prenatal vitamins with all that iron. I think I was back to normal after about a week.

Also make sure your getting enough fiber.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnlow28 View Post
I was wondering when everyone else does for constipation and if you can recommend a laxative that works for you. I have honestly NEVER had this problem before. I regularly take Tylenol 3 with codeine for my back pain and I eat rice and popcorn etc with no ill effects. I started taking iron supplements four days ago because I am anemic, don't eat red meat, have a heavy TOM and I am losing hair badly. I noticed my weight went up two pounds after taking the first iron supplement. I thought it was water weight but it has not decreased yet and I have not went off plan at all. I noticed when I "went to the bathroom" two days ago there was a lot less than usual. I am always very regular. I barely went at all yesterday and my stomach started to hurt. Today I haven't went at all and I feel bloated. I bought some stool softeners yesterday and took two. I took one today too but they haven't worked. At this point, I think I need a laxative or something. I have never taken one before. The problem is that I am going out tomorrow and I don't want to have to run to the bathroom.
Not sure what type to choose and what effects it will have. Sorry for too much information LOL, but I have never had to deal with this before.

Any suggestions?

I can't take regular laxatives. They make me crazy dizzy and sick from them. Back in March I got severe constipation, and I called my doctor, I thought I was going to have to have surgery or something it was so bad. They told me to try Miralax, and that worked.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #12  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

I took iron supplements.. contrary to what everyone says you may not get use to them. I swear I was constipated for 6 months. I suggest a mild stool softener. It will help Ducolax is a good one. It's safe to take for long periods of time and shouldn't make your stomach cramp. I also found prune juice helped. the activia Light is low calorie and should help too. Glycerin suppositories can really help it it gets REALLY bad. Hope you find some relief. I know how miserable it is.
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #13  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Metamucil sugar free or regular has been the only thing to help me...taken with hot water the affects are almost instant...and then once you get it over with you don't have to worry about urgency. I drink it every morning.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #14  
I am worth it

Thanks everyone I figured it was the iron supplements since I was fine before I started taking them. I will try some suggestions and give it until Thursday evening. If I am still having trouble by then, I will think about a mild laxative or the herbal remedies some of you mentioned. I am getting ready to do a workout in by basement after dinner. Its raining hard and storming here so no running tonight. I just hope the power doesn't go out LOL
Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #15  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I can't eat gluten so I sprinkle some flax ontop of my peanut butter on rice cakes and that helps, but I find it makes me gassy if I haven't had it in awhile.

Lemon juice in water also get's me pooping in the morning!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote