Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #1  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Question Eatng Clean = Whole food eating?

Hey there the name is Michelle, I was on here longggg ago but this time Im ready to change my Life style not just diet.
My question is I am following the Tosca Reno Clean Eating is that the same as Whole foods eating??
Im trying to find where I fit in on the boards

Thanks
Michelle
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #2  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Michelle! My name is Hope. We're both re-starting our healthy lifestyle journeys after being away for a while! I think people have their own definitions of whole foods on here. I'm following the list of foods found in Steven Pratt's book SuperFoods RX. What is the Tosca Reno Clean Eating? Do tell!!

I hope you get some responses. I've only gotten a few so far to my posts. There was waaaaay more support and interaction in this forum when I posted regularly a few years back. I'm REALLY missing the ladies who were here back then...
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't know what The Eat Clean diet advocates, can you give some details?

Basically, whole foods is eating foods closest to the natural state as possible, minimally processed foods. Fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc. And of course there are some trade offs like bread is processed but there is definitely a difference between wonder bread and whole grain bread with a few ingredients in it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #4  

I am also interested in Tosca Reno. Actually have her books coming today hopefully from Amazon.
I got interested in her by picking up a copy of Oxygen magazine and then learning through that about Clean Eating Magazine...

Without having the books so far I have gathered that her diet plan involves trying to eat as much vegetables, fruit and lean meat as possible and if you do have to eat "processed" foods to try to choose ones with five ingredients or less, but like I said I have gathered this without her books, so I am probably missing a lot.
ChristinaMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

One difference I have seen just from friends who are on the eat clean diet is she seems to be a big fan of protein shakes which are most definitely a processed food.

All the stuff I read on the Eat Clean diet seem to say no processed foods, but everyone I know on it has tons of protein powder in their diet.

I belive but am not sure, that she advocates eliminating ALL saturated fat and I can't remember her take on honey. I think everyone I know uses stevia which I consider something akin to torture. I'd rather eat nothing sweet at all.

MTA - it is also a 6 meal a day plan

Last edited by ennay; 06-17-2010 at 05:47 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I kind of use a 5 ingredient or less rule as well although it depends on the ingredients. If I pick up a package and it takes me more than a second to read the ingredients, I put it back.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I go with a combo of the 5 ingredient and the thought "Could I actually make this product in my own home." Like I do buy jam sometimes when I run out. But I can make it with the ingredients listed.

Sometimes I'll have more than 5 ingredients, although I think Pollan groups ingredients into categories (is there more than 5 ingredients in 8 grain hot cereal?)

But protein powder I wont because I have no earthly clue how to extract whey protein and turn it into powder.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
One difference I have seen just from friends who are on the eat clean diet is she seems to be a big fan of protein shakes which are most definitely a processed food.

All the stuff I read on the Eat Clean diet seem to say no processed foods, but everyone I know on it has tons of protein powder in their diet.

I belive but am not sure, that she advocates eliminating ALL saturated fat and I can't remember her take on honey. I think everyone I know uses stevia which I consider something akin to torture. I'd rather eat nothing sweet at all.

MTA - it is also a 6 meal a day plan
The shakes are just one way to get protein on the go. I would guess that your friends who are on it are fans of the shakes/find them convenient/are in a rut with eating clean and that's why they drink them because she doesn't push them any more than other forms of protein. I've been on it over 2 months and haven't had a single protein shake.

As for honey...I believe it's in the "use sparingly" category with agave nectar, etc. I don't recall her advocating eliminating ALL saturated fat, but that type of fat is limited by eating clean anyway. She uses coconut oil in a few of her recipes and is a big fan of nuts and salmon, so it's hard to see where she wants you to completely eliminate it...maybe you're thinking of her wanting people to use low-fat or fat free dairy products?

My take on eating clean is that it's a whole foods way of eating that emphasizes protein and "superfoods."
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #9  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaMR View Post
...if you do have to eat "processed" foods to try to choose ones with five ingredients or less...
Wow...I will certainly be doing this from now on!! It'll make my grocery shopping much quicker, that's for sure.
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #10  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Yes Eat clean and Whole food are identical LOL so I guess this is where i fit in I will be lighting the this section of the boards up because I believe this is the most healthiest thing you can do for your body Especially if you struggle with weight your whole life like i have
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #11  

I got one of my books yesterday! Look forward to reading it, for sure.
I hope to be seeing a lot of posts from you, 707!
ChristinaMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/160/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707Goddess View Post
Yes Eat clean and Whole food are identical LOL so I guess this is where i fit in I will be lighting the this section of the boards up because I believe this is the most healthiest thing you can do for your body Especially if you struggle with weight your whole life like i have
Hi Michelle, I completely agre with you that this is the healthiest way to live. It is afterall how we were meant to eat. When I first got into whole foods, it was really hard not to judge what others were eating or lend my advice. I did bite my tongue and just kept to myself eating what I believed was good for me.
The exciting part was when people at work started asking me what I was eating, how I was losing weight and if I had any recipes to share!!! At that point I was thrilled to share what I have been learning. Everyone has to find their own path and I am so glad this is the one I have chosen to take!
Natasha629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #13  
I WILL make it!

S/C/G: 220/186/160

Height: 5'8 ~ 51 years

I also eat whole foods and pretty much "clean" but not going anywhere near a protein shake!
countryhomeschoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

I love eating whole foods!

I actually never read the Eating Clean books... but they sound interesting! I'll take a look at them in the bookstore tomorrow!

For now, I've just been trying to cook/prepare most of my own meals. I don't like protein shakes, but sometimes I get a granola bar (when I end up somewhere without a good snack with me).
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #15  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707Goddess View Post
Does Eating Clean really advocate cutting out all saturated fat? What about eggs? Organic grass fed beef? Unrefined coconut oil? Those are whole foods but they do have saturated fat.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote