Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

Default Baking Questions and recipe help? :)

Okay, here goes...

1. Why seperate an egg when the whole egg goes in to the recipe? Like, some recipes will say "Seperate 3 eggs. Whisk egg yols with XX sugar, and egg whites with YY sugar. Then fold in together with flour" Why note just do them together??

2. What's the difference between whole wheat flour and white whole wheat? Do they make the product come out any different both taste and texture wise?

3. How do I decide what temp to bake at?

4. Okay, I made a jelly roll a week or two ago, and made it again, I'm trying to perfect it, and this is what I have so far:

5 egg yolks, whisked with 1 1/2 Cups packed brown sugar
5 egg whites, whisked with 1/3 C packed brown sugar

Fold in with 2 Cups whole wheat flour.
Mix in by folding 2 just a pinch baking powder, ½ tbl vanilla, 3 tsp lemon juice.

Roll: 1,800 calories, 360g sugar, 432g carbs, 24g fat, 1g sat. fat, 180 mg cholesterol, 62g protein,
1 slice (1/16)= 115 calories, 23g sugar, 27g carbs, 2g fat, 12mg cholesterol, 4g protein.

I then add about half of a cup of fruit preserves, but it's so high in sugar! I want my recipes to be less than 20g of sugar per serving, so that means I need to take out 6 tablespoons of sugar in all. The dough is also very dense and sweet, I was thinking of using 4 eggs, less sugar and flour, and add more baking soda and lemon to make it rise more, any tips are welcome!
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I think that adjusting amounts (especially flour, sugar, baking soda/powder, eggs) in a proven recipe might make it NOT turn out at all. Reducing the amount of preserves or the type (no added sugar brands maybe) wouldn't cause a problem. I don't know why the eggs have to be separated for that particular recipe, but it is an important step that shouldn't be omitted (or combined) in other recipes.

On the whole wheat flour....it definitely is healthier and sure makes my Banana Bread taste so delish! It seems to make it nuttier and chewier.

I'm sure someone who knows a whole lot more about baking will come along and answer your questions in a more scientific way.

Have you searched for a different version of a Jelly Roll recipe?

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 06-08-2010 at 12:34 PM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #3  

Egg yolks will never get as fluffy when whisking as egg whites do. That's why you have to do them seperately, because the egg white fluff will make your cake altogether more fluffier. You should also be really careful about the folding - don't destroy too much off the egg white fluff.

Usually the recipe should give you a temperature to bake at. If not, sponge cakes (which I believe your jelly roll is) should be baked at about 160C/315F. If you know what kind of dough or cake it is, you can usually google the temperature. Sponge needs the lowest, shortbread-like cakes the highest temperature.

In your recipe, you can easily leave out some of the sugar that gets whisked into the egg whites. You need the sugar in the egg yolks for a certain consistency (although you can reduce that a little, too), but the sugar in the egg whites is only there for flavour, so you can easily use less (or substitute some with artificial sweetener). I also second AnnieDrews idea of using preserve without added sugar. If it still contains too much sugar per serving, I'm afraid you'll have to reduce the serving size.

If it doesn't rise enough, it could be you are "folding in" too much. Also the egg whites should be whipped until they are really dense (you could cut them with a knife). Unfortunately, more baking soda will not help, neither will more lemon juice.

In general, even before I started on my journey, I usually left out about one third of the sugar content in every recipe, as I don't like my cakes as sweet, and they always come out fine.

Last edited by 3FCuser001; 06-08-2010 at 01:16 PM.
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #4  

Thanks for all the info!
The egg stuff was really helpful, and maybe seperating the eggs for ALL cake recipes will be a good idea, since whole wheat flour makes it more dense (that or use white whole wheat :P)

It's hard to find good fruit preserves without added sugar, it seems like they either have cane sugar, corn syrup, or all these weird ingredients
Old 06-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I don't bake, so I can't help you much. However, DH like Smucker's Sugar Free preserves, as well as Smucker's Simply Fruit spreads.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'4"

Maybe try making your own preserves. That way you are in total control.
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #7  

I would like to do that, but I couldnt find pectin at the store, maybe I should look harder though...

Okay, and a coupl e more ques I have *sorry*

~ Vegetable Shortening. Is it really bad? For your health, the environment? Isn't it hydrogenated? I'm wondering if I should use it or not..

~ Is margarine bad for you? I'm thinking of starting to use vegan margarine in my recipes, but I've heard margarine is worse than butter, is it?

Thanks so much for all your help