Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/165/145

Height: 5'3

Question laxatives????

yes i know super dangours but i have a friend that she took laxatives for a week and ate very little and drank alot of water and ost 10 lbs. caught my attecntion when she said 10 lbs. now my head stuck in to it
loveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #2  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveit View Post
yes i know super dangours but i have a friend that she took laxatives for a week and ate very little and drank alot of water and ost 10 lbs. caught my attecntion when she said 10 lbs. now my head stuck in to it
All you would be losing is water weight which is counterproductive because the following week, it would come back.

Also, laxatives become less useful after a while so you would have to increase the dose over time especially if you rely on it to poop. Your body will adjust and once you go off laxatives you might experience constipation.

I remember in my younger years I thought laxatives was the answer instead of purging.. I would make it go the other way. I think it's part of the reason sometimes I have a hard time going to the bathroom to this day.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Here's the deal. It's all water and waste and 10 lbs sounds very, very high even with laxative abuse.

The reality is, this is incredibly dangerous as it completely dehydrates you. Also, drinking water and whatever you eat will replace whatever weight you just lost. All it does is make you really sick for a very temporary weightloss.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

it will actually screw up you electrolytes to the point that you will be MORE bloated (*weigh* more, in water) after theyve had the effect
They do not work for weightloss.
but they DO work for getting you hooked/dependent/addicted to laxative abuse!
So have at it!

please dont start that
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Do you really think that this sounds like a good long term plan? What's the point of losing those 10 pounds if you'll likely stop after a week, gain the weight back, and then gain 10 more just because you were so darn hungry?

There is no magic cure for fat. It just takes hard work and commitment. Good luck.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Laxative abuse is often associated with anorexia. Laxatives won't make you lose fat and they can be very dangerous.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Growing up I had a friend whose mom used to use laxatives for weight loss. It got to the point where she could no longer have a bowel movement on her own and HAD to take laxatives to be able to go. That's just not healthy. If you want to drop weight, do it the RIGHT way...even having weight loss surgery is a better idea than this.

I don't mean to be crude, but if you wanna do something this ridiculous, why not just try bulimia...I mean, you'd lose weight, right??? Now doesn't that sound ludicrous??? Thought so. Same goes for the laxative idea.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #8  
I hate humidity!

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: wee bit under 5'4

Over-the-counter laxatives and diuretics can only help you with short-term water loss masquerading as weight loss. They have a very dangerous effect to your health.

There are many healthy foods that have a natural laxative and diuretic effect that you can incorporate into your diet while reducing junk food. You can also include green or white tea to boost your metabolism. These changes are sustainable, healthy, and will help you with FAT LOSS.
Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Don't use laxatives, I responded to your other thread btw- you might be eating too little.

Laxatives aren't permanent NOR healthy ways to lose weight.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #10  
I hate humidity!

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: wee bit under 5'4

Just one more point. People always say, I lost a lot of weight doing this or that, but they never tell you the whole truth. For example, they often exaggerate the pounds lost in the first place and never tell you how much they gain back.
Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 171/165/145

Height: 5'3

THANK everyone. i thought the same thing CAELA. i do think she exaggerated about 10lbs i will talk to her to stop becuz i know its dangrous but in a desprate attemt t o lose weight anything sounds good
loveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #12  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveit View Post
THANK everyone. i thought the same thing CAELA. i do think she exaggerated about 10lbs i will talk to her to stop becuz i know its dangrous but in a desprate attemt t o lose weight anything sounds good
I've had that mentality in the past. I couldn't wait for the weight to just FLY off but that's why so many fail and so many gain it back. I've yo-yoed so much in my late teens early twenties.

Slow, steady, sustainable, maintainable, healthy, realistic, consistent <-- these are the words that mean change will be PERMANENT behavioral/lifestyle changes.

I was reading your other thread and I feel like you are guestimating your diet too much. You think you are eating 1000 calories but it could very well be less or more. From the things you listed, it doesn't seem like it's very much food. I estimate but I record my calories pretty accurately when it comes to the #s because I need to know I'm not depriving myself or going overboard. I stick to 1200-1350 calories on most days.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

Take it from an purger- you do NOT want to go down that road. Your body is worth so much more than that abuse. Mentally it took me FOREVER to get out of that mindset. Personally I choose to starve myself and throw up a ton. I didn't listen when people told me it was going to screw my teeth up and my throat. Luckily my throat is fine, but at the age of 24 I have had over 15,000 of dental work done, my mouth constantly tastes like metal (I can't afford to get the regular fillings because I wore down so much enamel I had a cavity between every tooth.) And fillings only last so long. I have had two root canals and various other issues. I will be lucky if I can maintain the bits of teeth I have left to not be in dentures before I am 40.

I understand wanting control, wanting to be skinny at no cost. **** I even considered doing illegal drugs or trying to catch mono just to lose weight. It took me SO long to get over what I did to myself. yes I realize now it was more of a coping mechanism as, I weighed about 150 when I started doing all this. It took YEARS for me to be able to be around certain things, I still have triggers that are hard. just please do not go down this road.

You are worth So So SO much more. I promise you that whenever I had friends asking me how I was losing weight I just wanted to cry because I would rather all my friends be overweight and semi healthy then to hate themselves, have the total obsession and pain of an eating disorder. please please PLEASE do not go down this road.

check out this site:
http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.o...s/Laxative.pdf

"Upset of electrolyte and mineral balances. Sodium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus are
electrolytes and minerals that are present in very specific amounts necessary for proper functioning of
the nerves and muscles, including those of the colon and heart. Upsetting this delicate balance can
cause improper functioning of these vital organs.
�� Severe dehydration may cause tremors, weakness, blurry vision, fainting, kidney damage, and, in
extreme cases, death. Dehydration often requires medical treatment.
�� Laxative dependency occurs when the colon stops reacting to usual doses of laxatives so that larger
and larger amounts of laxatives may be needed to produce bowel movements.
�� Internal organ damage may result, including stretched or “lazy” colon, colon infection, Irritable
Bowel Syndrome, and, rarely, liver damage. Chronic laxative abuse may contribute to risk of colon
cancer"
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

This may sound coarse but... I have a friend that did that all through high school. Now she can only go once a week without assistance it it becomes very painful and uncomfortable. Laxtives = not so good unless the plumbing is very, very clogged.
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/257/165

Height: 5' 8"

I worked for Hospice for several years. You want to talk about misery and pain? Try impacted bowels.

Impacted (with fecal matter) bowels are extrememly painful and dangerous. When we say they need 'assistance', we're talking digital assistance. Get it?

If your bowels function normally be thankful and don't mess em up.
They are a miracle of engineering and function: digesting food, distributing vitamins, minerals, sorting waste, distinguishing between solids and liquids.
Just think about it.

by losing weight in a healthy manner, you're doing yourself a favor, both now and in the future.

MissNIbs.
MissNibs is offline   Reply With Quote