Old 04-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251.5/162/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Any recommendations for wide zumba shoes?

I just started going to zumba classes at the Y which is a big accomplishment for me. I have been avoiding the place because I was just afraid to go--I hate being the fattest person in an exercise class. But, I love zumba & there's nothing like staring at myself in the mirror for an hour at a time to motivate me to keep on track. The problem I'm having is that my shoes stick to the floor & I'm afraid I'm going to seriously hurt myself. The instructor recommends Nike Musique & I've read that Ryka shoes are also good but the reviews I read for each said that they run small. I need an 8 wide & don't see any wide widths on the websites I've looked at. Has anyone with a wide foot actually tried any of these shoes, or are there others that I should be looking at? Thanks!
amyk0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

You're telling my story here! I just started Zumba too, love it, same shoe issue. I also wear an 8 wide, so I'll be curious to hear if anybody knows
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #3  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Hmm - what is zumba exactly?
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #4  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 248/231.4/150

Height: 5"1'

I own a pair of Ryka's in 7 1/2 wide....love love love them!

The only place I can find nice shoes in wide sizes in QVC.
I buy most of mine from there.
Ryka's and Clarks too come in wide there and since I am on my feet all day at work, I need comfortable dress shoes and I need them in WIDE.
bythenumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

I think Zumba is like a latin dance exercise class
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #6  

http://www.zumba.com/us/

It is indeed and it's so much fun!
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #7  

I loooooove Zumba, but I am not sure what the best zumba shoes are? I have seen people in my classes with just about everything on, but they look mostly like cross trainers. What works?
itseffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #8  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Zumba is a dance class that combines latin and hip hop music/moves. I really love Zumba and among my friends, I have been nicknamed the Zumba Queen.

I don't have wide feet, but the best athletic shoes for Zumba are ones that have little or no tread. The Nike Musique and other "Zumba" shoes have circles on the ball of the foot to aid in pivoting. I don't know how much the circles help...but the limited tread aids in pivoting. I can tell the difference in ease of pivoting when I wear my Musiques versus my regular cross trainers or running shoes.

I've seen a lot of women in my class wearing cross trainers...I just prefer not to. I've also seen women wearing keds or boat shoes...again, limited tread. Reebok's Princess shoes would probably work good also.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Well, I wear Asics running shoes BUT we don't seem to do a lot of pivoting, per se. We do a lot of jumping, stomping, marching, etc. and I need the arch support for that.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #10  

...oh, and I find Asics are great for wide feet--mine are not overly wide, but the front of my foot is wider in proportion to my heel, if you know what I'm trying to say. Picture duck feet--that's me. LOL
Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #11  

I think that floor-sticking is just something you are gonna have to live with if you are using anything with a tread. Tread+polished floor=sticking. Unless you are willing to do Zumba in dancer's shoes, you are gonna stick, and I think you need the traction, especially with Zumba where there is so much side to side movement

As for good shoes that come in wide, I have always worn New Balance. The seem to be a bit wider in general than other shoes, and come in multiple wide widths, 2E and 4E. Go to a store, not a factory outlet, and get fitted (for any brand of shoe, of course).

I liked the pair of shoes I got last year for the gym so much that when I replaced my regular pair of shoes bought at the same time I bought the same model. They are 993s, and are great for me because my feet are kind of flat and I overpronate (feet roll in) BADLY.

Last edited by Tarisaande; 06-04-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #12  
Philly Dancing Queen

S/C/G: 265/245/170

Height: 5 ft3

I took salsa classes and had the same thing as I refused to wear heels. GO TO A DANCE STORE. They have shoes just for this kind of thing.
Also, I wear an 8 and I actually wear men's sneakers - the smallest size. They have a erm, bigger box. For the toes! The toes!
toomuchmoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #13  

Actually, that's true Toomuchmoxie. The shoes I use for the treadmill are men's Asics, but I was able to find some ladies' ones for Zumba-ing, as I found doing Zumba with my orthotics was killing my feet.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 251.5/162/140

I'll update this now that it's active again. I went with the Nike Musique's. I bought an 8.5 (normally wear an 8) & probably could have gotten a 9 but they didn't have them in the store & I wanted them immediately. I just lace them very loosely & they have been working OK. The thing I noticed is that my toes were going numb between 45 minutes to an hour into the class. That has gotten better & I don't know if it's because I've lost 16 lbs. & maybe my feet are a little skinnier, or maybe the shoes have stretched out some & given my more room. The suggestion that you go to a dance store & look at the men's shoes is a good one. If I hadn't already paid $70 for these shoes, I would look there myself. Still loving zumba though! It's the most fun I've ever had exercising. I think I'm addicted to it now. Whenever I'm listening to music I think up little zumba routines to the songs =).
amyk0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 262.6/ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

I am not sure if they have shoes that will fit your needs, but The Avenue carries women's 7W-13W. Very helpful if you have big feet like me ; )
AudreyL is offline   Reply With Quote