Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 04:25 PM   #1  

Unhappy Suggestions for sticking with it...

Hello,

I just joined earlier this week, and I've been reading without commenting (except on the War with Iraq thread).

I'm trying not to do the chocolate, champage & heavy foods for Valentine's Day, but I would like to celebrate the evening with my husband. Any non-fattening suggestions (yes, I already know the most obvious! -- but I mean any others?

I look forward to your comments. And Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

Kimberelly
Old 02-13-2003, 05:02 PM   #2  

Hi and welcome Kimberelly!!

This is a great thread!

We are going to go to a healthy dinner out and either rent a movie or go see one. Not exactly the most original date ever. I'm looking forward to other members' suggestions.

Angi

Last edited by AngiKL; 02-13-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

david and i *never* go to the movies. so we're gonna check out one tomorrow night. nothing special for dinner, really.

it's our first v-day actually, but we're both poor and i'm watching the food so, you know... whatcha gonna do?
Old 02-13-2003, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

How about going ice skating or a concert or dancing or some kind of activity that doesn't involve food? I know I'm not secure enough to do the out-to-dinner thing yet.

Looked at your location--so do you live some of the time in Australia and some of the time in California??
Old 02-13-2003, 07:02 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

How about hand-dipping chocolate covered strawberries and feeding them to eachother?

I love a hot oil massage. Spread a sheet on the floor and buy either a nice oil (if you have trouble finding oils, check an organic market, they usually have jojoba or almond oil). Stick the bottle of oil in hot tap water, and leave it there for a couple minutes. It will reach a fabulous tempature. Then, take turn rubbing those sore muscles.

Think about what you guys did in the beginning of your relationship. Did you play scrabble together? Dance? Read poetry to eachother? It's sounds silly but nothing brings back smiles and cute kisses is a good game of cribbage (where I kick his butt).

There are my suggestions!

Last edited by Goddess Jessica; 02-13-2003 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:08 PM   #6  

I've enjoyed reading everyone's suggestions. Thank you for some great ideas.

I think we're going to take a nice long walk along the beach, and I like the idea of some kind of board game -- or a movie (I think we're the only people in the world who still haven't seen "Titanic"!). We used to do a lot of bookstore lurking, but don't do that quite as often these days -- I could never come out of the store empty-handed!

In response to Sheila53, we usually live about 8 - 9 months of the year in California and about 3 - 4 months of the year in Australia. However, this last year we were mostly in the US, only in Australia for 6 weeks.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:19 AM   #7  

Kimberelly - what part of NSW?

Angi (I'm American but lived in Sydney for 10 years when I was a kid)
Old 02-14-2003, 10:42 AM   #8  

Happy Valentine's Day, Everyone!

Angi,

Where in Sydney did you live? We were in Wollstonecraft (North Sydney near Crows Nest and St. Leonards) for about 2 years.

When in Oz, we live about 3 hours drive (6 hours train) north of Sydney near the coast -- the biggest town nearby is Taree. The area's called the mid-North Coast. It's rural and beautiful and peaceful...well, for the most part. There've been a lot of fires (nothing too close, although when we were there last year we couldn't get to Sydney because the rail lines and all roads to the city were closed due to bushfires) and a lot of the farmers and ranchers in the area are having to kill their cows this season because the drought is so bad.

Not too cheery there, either -- I guess everyone's having one of those kind of years!
Old 02-14-2003, 11:26 AM   #9  

We lived in Ryde. Have you heard of it? I'm not sure where it is, North South East or West (!) because I was 12 when we left. But maybe you've heard of it?

Angi
Old 02-14-2003, 01:05 PM   #10  

What a *small* world! My husband grew up in Ryde and Eastwood (the next suburb east). It's north/northwest of Sydney.

Have you ever been back?

Did you decide what movie you're going to see? It's raining here (it *does* rain in Southern California!), so we decided that we'll stay home and rent something in the romantic comedy section -- any suggestions?

One suggestion from me: I have seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and really thought it was a sweet movie.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:21 PM   #11  

I haven't ever been back. Where did your husband go to Primary and High School? I went to Denistone East Primary and Ryde High for just a year before returning to the States.

That is funny because I've talked to lots of people from Sydney and they haven't heard of Ryde. I remember Eastwood, because we used to go shopping there.

I don't know what movie we see - _Ten Things to do to Lose a Guy_ (It's called something like that, anyway!) if I can talk DH into it. We rented _Happy Accidents_ last weekend - It's a very QUIRKY independent film - but a romantic comedy that I highly recommend. It has Vincent D'Onofrio (guy from Law and Order: Criminal Intent) and Marisa Tomei in it. I love D'Onofrio. He's an excellent actor.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:33 PM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

D'Onofrio rocks!!! I love him in Mystic Pizza.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

so, david is funny. he got me vitamins intsead of candy. ha ha ha. cuz he knows i want to be more healthy. =)
Old 02-14-2003, 02:04 PM   #14  

Love that - vitamins! Were they heart-shaped?

(A friend of mine takes Flintstones vitamins just because it's fun and helps her to remember.)

I'm going to have to rent _Mystic Pizza_: It's been so long since I've seen it, I can't figure out who D'Onofrio was. Turns out he's been all over the place but I didn't recognize him (mark of a good actor!) until he was on TV every week.

Angi
Old 02-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Yes, I would rather see an actor in all kinds of films, that way I can't compartmentalize them in my head. You will love him in Mystic Pizza. There's also a pre-Pretty Woman Julia Roberts, and Almanzo from Little House. I can't think of his real name.

I have no suggestions for you, Kimberelly. My S/O is in a different city & my treats here @ work I've planned in. So the most obvious calorie-free way to celebrate is the one I would choose.
Closed Thread