Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #1  

Smile Stevia in the Raw

Has anyone used this product? What are your thoughts and how would you compare this product to other calorie free sweeteners? Stevia is all natural and I'm curious to learn more about it from people who use the product themselves. Please let me know!
jumpinbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 168/120

Height: 5'0

It is not bad- It is allowed on the ideal protein diet-
It is kinda $$$ but not bad in taste.
jesslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I use sweet leaf and another brand(can't remember the name,but it comes in a small white container with a little spoon in it),but I only use it for my coffee.Sweet leaf has fiber in it to bulk it up,whereas the other doesn't have anything in it,and only a sliver is needed.Stevia in the raw has dextrose in it,so I don't know how that will effect taste,calories,or anything else,but you are able to cook with it.

Now,Truvia,Purevia and one other have other ingredients,and I couldn't stand the flavor.It's somewhat expensive to experiment and figure out which you like best,but I was glad I didn't give up after trying one brand,because I did end up finding 2 brands I do like.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Truvia and PureVia have MSG in them, iirc. The trade-off is they have less of an aftertaste.

Stevia in the Raw and Sweet Leaf don't have MSG, but if you use too much they can leave a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Liquid stevia is more expensive, but a little goes a long way and doesn't have an aftertaste.

It is more potent (read: sweet) than other sweeteners I've tried, so I'd go easy on it and adjust the sweetness to your liking. I'm not a fan of sweets, but DH likes his tea and coffee slightly sweetened, so we've tried several brands, and I've tasted them to see what the hype is about.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/220/140

Height: 5'9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post
Truvia and PureVia have MSG in them, iirc. The trade-off is they have less of an aftertaste.

Stevia in the Raw and Sweet Leaf don't have MSG, but if you use too much they can leave a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Liquid stevia is more expensive, but a little goes a long way and doesn't have an aftertaste.

It is more potent (read: sweet) than other sweeteners I've tried, so I'd go easy on it and adjust the sweetness to your liking. I'm not a fan of sweets, but DH likes his tea and coffee slightly sweetened, so we've tried several brands, and I've tasted them to see what the hype is about.
Are you serious! I never understand why the government doesn't just band msg in our food. So glad i started using in the raw products
LastTrain2Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

MSG in "normal" quantities is pretty harmless to some people. Some people are sensitive to it. It's just like artificial sweeteners, or gluten, or dairy ... it affects everyone differently. But for someone sensitive to it, it's good to know what products contain it.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

I bought a box of packets, I used about 1/4 of a packet on some strawberries.. I guess it has been a really long time since I used any kind of sweetner on fruit. I liked the fruit with out it, and did notice it made it sweeter. i didn't really notice too much of an after taste, but I only used a teeny bit.
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #8  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Yes. As long as you don't use too much stevia, which can happen at first, you won't get that after taste. It doesn't take much stevia to sweeten things.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 179.5/160.5/135

Height: 5'4"

That's what I use and I really like it. Just don't expect the same taste as sugar.
2b7again is offline   Reply With Quote