Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 06:55 AM   #1  

Default trying to eat more veggies at lunch-suggestions?

Hi,

I want to try really hard to get more vegetable servings every day. I thought to do this, I have to add something besides carrot sticks to my lunch (which gets boring)

I've already thought of using vegetables as the "main" part of my lunch, such as a small baked potato stuffed with broccoli and a little low fat cheese, or a yam or sweet potato with pineapple, or vegetable soup.

Any more ideas? I really want to eat as many healthy foods as possible.

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 02-13-2003, 08:22 AM   #2  
Searching

Getting my 5+ servings of veg in a day has been a challenge. I mix things up a bit. Add a 1/2 a tsp of almonds to green beans, tomatoes are good too, mandarin oranges, little parmesan. I like green beans. Also suprise yourself. I like to treat myself to asparagus, artichoke hearts, and fresh steamed broccoli. Adding frozen thawed peas in salads are good too. Green peppers can be used like crackers. Go ahead load your tuna fish up on them, its good! Just a few suggestions.
Miss Chris
Old 02-13-2003, 08:35 AM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

some ideas -

chicken tortilla soup - 1 serving

or

anything on a bed of lettuce Yesterday I had 3oz of chicken w/ cumin on lettuce with ff sour cream and salsa. I also did up some stir fry onions and red peppers.
that ended up being 2 veggies

or

I have a piece of fruit right before lunch so i am not starving.

or

boca burger with lettuce, cucumbers and onions. 1 serving of veggies

or

I add veggies to canned soups - broccoli, carrots, onions. (Can you tell I love onions!) or any left over veggies you had from the day before.

I find that if I get my 5 in it will be a good day no matter what.

I've thought about asking Sandi to add "5 a day" as another element to the monthly challenges. What do you think? To me.. that is a real challenge.

Good Luck Sherry!

Dana
Old 02-13-2003, 10:49 AM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I am a dip girl. (You can take that any way you want ) I like to have mushrooms, cukes, red yellow & green peppers, zukes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc w/a nice f/f ranch dip. You can even make a yummy dip yourself--mix equal parts f/f sour cream w/salsa. Pink dip!

The other thing I like is Richard Simmons Veggie Gumbo. I don't have the recipe here, but can post it in Dana's food thread from home tonight. A serving is 2 cups (!!!) and only 96 calories.

If I'm really strapped for time, I have a small can of V8.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:20 AM   #5  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I do vegetable soup (I love the 0 point WW soup recipe, and I add more 0 pt vegetables because I like thick soups). I also add vegetables to about everything I cook (I'm an onion girl too Dana). When I ate meat, I even added grated carrots, zucchini (sp?) and things like that to meat loaf to get veggies into my kids. I cook french sytle green beans, put wishbone fat free red vinegar dressing on them while hot, stick them in the fridge and eat them as a salad cold. I even eat veggies at breakfast. Love egg-beaters scrambled with onions and asparagus or spinach. I aim for 9 fruits and veggies a day, and usually always make it. When you're full of fruits and veggies, it's hard to stuff anything else in. Oh another thing you can do is make a potato salad with a fat free mayo type dressing and put every kind of veggie you can think of in it - I like carrots, celery, green onions, frozen peas, frozen corn then serve it on a bed of lettuce (anything but iceberg). Makes a nice lunch.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I take coleslaw mix and stuff it in a pita along with some feta cheese and a Greek cucumber sauce (that has cucumber chunks in it). Add a few baby carrots to crunch on and you have a great high vegetable, meatless meal, and it's really easy.
Closed Thread