Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #1  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage

This is so easy to make, and it’s cheaper and more nutritious than store-bought pork sausage.

For example, these are the ingredients in Jimmy Dean sausage: pork, water, salt, sodium lactate, spices, sugar, sodium phosphates, dextrose, monosodium glutamate, sodium diacetate, caramel color. (Basically, salt, sugar, and MSG! Yum.) And the nutrition (for 2 two-once patties) – Calories: 240, Fat: 23 grams, Sodium: 610 grams, Protein: 9 grams.

Compare that to this homemade sausage in which the only ingredients are fresh ground turkey and spices. Nutrition (for 2 two-ounce patties) – Calories: 240, Fat: 17 grams, Sodium:70 (from flavoring added to turkey before purchase), Protein: 20. That’s 1/10 of the sodium and double the protein! And the cost is about half of store-bought pork sausage.

Homemade Turkey Sausage Patties

Spice Mix:
2 T. rubbed sage (Don’t substitute ground sage – this is leafier)
1 to 2 tsp. Mrs. Dash extra spicy seasoning blend (or red pepper flakes)
1 tsp. marjoram or oregano (I use Mexican oregano)
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. Penzy’s Mural of Flavor (or equal amounts of onion and garlic powder to make almost a teaspoon, plus a smidge of orange zest)
1 tsp. sodium-free instant beef boullion
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. black pepper

This makes 1/4 cup, enough for 4 pounds of meat.

Directions:
Combine 1# ground fresh turkey (not the frozen stuff in a tube) with 1 tablespoon spice mix. For best flavor, refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to mingle. Divide the turkey into 8 two-once patties.

Heat a small amount of olive oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add turkey patties to skillet and cook, about 5 minutes per side, or until completely cooked through. Cook the patties over a low enough heat that they will cook completely through without burning.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #2  
sugar is the devil

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say I made this this morning for breakfast.... and it's unbelievably delicious!

Thanks for sharing - def will be making all the time for future morning meals!

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 04-15-2011 at 02:06 PM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote