South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #1  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Red face Phase 1 & Diabetes

Hey y'all. I've been doing my best to do Phase 1 since Friday but my Blood sugar keeps dropping WAY low so I end up having to eat or drink some sort of sugar. Is there anyone else here that has Type 2 than can give me some advice? I'm thinking I am just going to have to skip Phase 1 and go straight to 2, except skip the breads and potatoes. I REALLY want to do phase 1 and for more than 2 weeks as I am trying to drop about 10 pounds b4 our 4th of July vacation. So far I've lost 3 lbs so this is encouraging. Also this time I have my fiance' help & support because he doesn't want me to die.

Before I started this and the reason I started this is my A1c & triglycerides are out of control. I am told I'm a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen. I constantly struggle with high sugar until now. Low sugar is completely new to me.
Thanks, Roni
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #2  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

hi there! I have heard people here adamant that diabetics start at phase 2, although I do not know the reasoning and have not personally read it in my book.
I'm sure someone more knowlegeable will chime in, but in the meantime I would do a phase 2
You have to keep your sugars stable and not go hypoglycemic on us.\
I wish I had known that when my mom tried sbd a few yrs ago and felt like she failedd bc she couldn't stay on (she's a type 2, insulin dependant diabetic)
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #3  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Thanks, and so sorry to hear about your Mom. My Mom is type 2, insulin dependent diabetic as well, and I was just about to be. My doc wanted to put me on it as well as triglyceride meds too but when I told her I was starting South Beach, she said we'd hold out. Only yuck thing is I have to go in every 2 weeks, grrrrr. She also told me not to give up my whole grain and fruit carbs but I really wanted to do Phase 1...but I may not be able to. We'll see what others think on here too.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm Type II and Phase I is way too scary for me - really bad lows. Please do Phase II using whole grains and fruit for your carbs.

As you've already lost some weight, it may not be possible to lose ten pounds in such a short time. Getting your health under control is much more important than weightloss at the moment.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #5  

Although I don't have diabetes, I'm close to a number of people who have it and feel familiar enough with the issues to agree with the others who suggest you don't do a strict Phase I.

You might want to think about incorporating some of the "Carbohydrate Addicts" philosophy of limiting frequency of good carbs and trying not to have them alone, but only as part of a balanced meal.

However, I think the best possible advice would be to consult your doctor. If you're on medications and radically changing how you eat, your meds may need to be adjusted.
shutterbug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Dr. A says all diabetics should start in Phase II. Do you have the book? You really need to read it if you haven't.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #7  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Yes Ma'am, I've got the book and I read a little every night. I guess I haven't gotten that far yet. We went out and bought it the SAME night I got my numbers. Didn't waste any time. I needed to get started before I can sit down and read an entire book.

Last edited by Diva; 06-09-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #8  
Be happy.

Hi Diva

I am not diabetic, but I have a good friend who is and her doctor insisted she start with phase 2 because it would be very difficult to control her blood sugar levels on phase 1. She went with what we call "1.5" around here - just 1 grain and 1 fruit/ day at first and did well with that. She didn't have that nice jumpstart that phase 1 gives so many of us, but she did loose steadily and felt good. She's on a 'temporary hiatus' right now, but I'm hoping when she decides to come back on board she'll sign up here.

Also, she used peanut butter and apple slices when her sugars started dropping. Not as quick a fix as the glucose tablets she usually uses, but that was the SBD friendly option the nutritionist gave her and it seemed to work pretty well.

Good luck to you!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #9  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi58 View Post
Hi Diva

I am not diabetic, but I have a good friend who is and her doctor insisted she start with phase 2 because it would be very difficult to control her blood sugar levels on phase 1. She went with what we call "1.5" around here - just 1 grain and 1 fruit/ day at first and did well with that. She didn't have that nice jumpstart that phase 1 gives so many of us, but she did loose steadily and felt good. She's on a 'temporary hiatus' right now, but I'm hoping when she decides to come back on board she'll sign up here.

Also, she used peanut butter and apple slices when her sugars started dropping. Not as quick a fix as the glucose tablets she usually uses, but that was the SBD friendly option the nutritionist gave her and it seemed to work pretty well.

Good luck to you!
Thanks. I think I'll do that, the 1.5 LOL! Also thanks for the apple and PB suggestion. I have been racking my brain trying think of something other than raisins and soda to bump the sugar up some. I hate when it gets low. Totally kicks my butt.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #10  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Diva I have reactive Hypoglycemia
Saving Grace Protein and Baby Carrots
They have sugar but also fiber so you're not spiking out of control or hitting lows
also a good purse friend 100 calorie packs of nuts

New favorite snack
Greek yogurt Mrs dash herb and tomato and baby carrots
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #11  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Thanks KO. I could totally help you with that Divatude! LOL!