Old 06-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #1  

Location: A small little area in north Florida not yet discovered by tourist or developers.

S/C/G: 391/316/175

Height: 6 feet

Default About sponsorship

I'm new to OA, having started a couple of months ago. I got a sponsor this past week. I'm not sure what to expect from my sponsor.

So far, I am sending daily emails with my meal plans and a closing email with how I did on the meal plan. Our group encourages sponsors to support the sponsees. Likewise, sponsees are encouraged to use sponsors for support.

I realize my sponsor is not my therapist and isn’t there to solve life's problems. Beyond that, I don't know what the boundaries are. How detailed does the sponsorship go? I guess I'm wondering how to interact with my sponsor. I don't want to dump my problems on my sponsor or seem too needy, but I don't want to seem disinterested either.

Thanks,
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Why not just ask your sponsor these questions? Then you get the boundaries right from them.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #3  

Location: A small little area in north Florida not yet discovered by tourist or developers.

I've asked at our initial meeting and a couple of times in emails. So far, the only responce is that there's an expection of an email food plan in the morning and an email of how I did in the evening. I don't really know if I should take that as the minimum or maximum
Old 06-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

So ask the next time you email bits from your posts... maybe something like...

"I know there's an expectation of an email food plan in the morning and an email of how I did in the evening. Should take that as the minimum or maximum interaction? Am I supposed to report anything else? What if I'm struggling with something? Where are the boundaries? I don't want to dump my problems on you or seem too needy, but I don't want to seem disinterested either. Thanks!"

And see what happens. There's always support here on the boards too.

GL!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #5  

OK, I exchanged emails with and called my sponsor. Presenting my queston nearly that way cleared up what I was asking. We're on the same page now.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Good for you! My sponsor is so important to me.....I realized just this past week that I needed to let her know the major things going on with me so she can better help me. No, she's not a therapist, but she can at least be a sounding board.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote