Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Smile Here's to the second round (or the third, or the fourth...)

At 20 years old, standing 4'9'' and weighing 180lb, I've come to my breaking point. I spent my teen years fat, and I missed out on lots of things because of it. I'm not going to spend my 20s fat. I refuse to.

I decided to start eating better and exercising, but here's where you guys come in. I don't have health insurance ATM, so I'm just kind of doing my own thing until I start college. Can you guys tell me if I'm on the right track, and if not, can you help me tweak things?

Every day when I get up I stretch.

Then a while later, or right after stretching if I change my mind, I do a 3 different kinds of sit ups in reps of 10, so about 40 sit ups. Then I do 10 push ups (Not so fantastic but last week I could only do 3, so it's something.)

Then usually sometime later, around 2pm I bike for 30 minutes while I watch TV. Sometimes, though rarely, unless I eat something bad, I do an extra 30 minutes.

Also I'm lifting those small arm weights every now and again but nothing serious yet.

I know I need to throw in some other cardio in there, once I get my A/C working I'm going to do some of those Sweating to The Oldies tapes lol.

But so far, am I just wasting my time, or does this sound okay? I lost about 5lb out of nowhere, and decided to start exercising to see if I could get more off this summer. I haven't noticed any physical changes (I know I wouldn't, it's only been like a week), but I have noticed I'm able to bike longer than before.

Also, I should add:

I don't smoke.
I don't drink.
I don't drink soda. I've been off it for 2 years now.

Last edited by yhahmd; 06-07-2010 at 03:57 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

My experience has been if you have no plan, you have no boundaries. No boundaries is where you've already been.

Come up with a plan and be accountable (3FC is a great place for that). Your plan can be a specific diet; an exercise routine; counting calories, etc. You need to define your limits.

Of couse, just my opinion.
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well exercise is nice and good but what are you doing in terms of your eating plan?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #4  

Exercise routine is what I'm looking for I guess. While I've got the free time, I might as well. I also sort of count calories. Not obsessively, but I keep in mind what I've eaten and what it adds up to.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Well exercise is nice and good but what are you doing in terms of your eating plan?
My life is kind of on hold until I start to lose the weight. I'm probably going to sound really spoiled to some of you right now. I said I was 20, I am. But I don't work, and I don't go to school right now. I've decided to put a year aside to focusing on weight loss. My parents totally backed me up on this, and said I could have that year. The main problem is I eat whatever we have. But I eat much less. I don't count calories obsessively, but I'm aware of them, and I make sure to burn off as many as I can on the bike later in the evening and then usually 20 more than I need to.

I eat... whatever's here, really. I don't eat a lot of sweets or candies, but I do eat a decent amount of bread, and I know I need to stop. I eat more veg than fruits tbh. And I love cheese, which I'm also trying to cut out or severely limit myself on. The only real "meal" of the day I eat is dinner. Where I eat whatever my mom cooks, but less than I normally do, then I go exercise.

Like tonight we're having ribs. I'll eat that with some broccoli or something, then go exercise.

It sounds like a big excuse, but my family isn't willing to change their eating for me. And since I have no job, I have no money to buy my own food. So I just try to be pickier and eat smaller portions. I don't eat any of the junk food my mom buys (chips, cookies, cakes, brownies, etc). Plus, I drink water like its going out of style.

Last edited by yhahmd; 06-07-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #6  
Just Me

And I should've said welcome Good luck. What you eat affects your weight loss more than what you do (exercise).

As for exercise, I say do what feels right for you and just try to keep active overall.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

the general rule of thumb is that weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise. So while it's fantastic that you are getting into a good habit of regular activity, the food has to be a part of it. You said your parents are being supportive about taking this time to focus on losing weight, so now ask for their support on the other side of the equation, the food.

Maybe you can do more of the shopping and some of the cooking so that you can have healthier alternatives they can share with you, while also enjoying their ribs or other foods that may be ok to have as an ocassional treat but which are not really going to fit very well in a weight loss plan on a regular basis. Plus it sounds like you're kind of on your own for breakfast and lunch and those are not the meals your mom cooks for the whole family? If so, then as long as you can have the healthier choices available, you should be able to come up with a more concrete plan than simply eating less bread and less cheese. Those are a good start but just a start.

Keep posting, maybe check out the Calorie Counters forum for some more specific food ideas if you need. Good luck!!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
the general rule of thumb is that weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise. So while it's fantastic that you are getting into a good habit of regular activity, the food has to be a part of it. You said your parents are being supportive about taking this time to focus on losing weight, so now ask for their support on the other side of the equation, the food.

Maybe you can do more of the shopping and some of the cooking so that you can have healthier alternatives they can share with you, while also enjoying their ribs or other foods that may be ok to have as an ocassional treat but which are not really going to fit very well in a weight loss plan on a regular basis. Plus it sounds like you're kind of on your own for breakfast and lunch and those are not the meals your mom cooks for the whole family? If so, then as long as you can have the healthier choices available, you should be able to come up with a more concrete plan than simply eating less bread and less cheese. Those are a good start but just a start.

Keep posting, maybe check out the Calorie Counters forum for some more specific food ideas if you need. Good luck!!
And here's where the problem comes in. Those things are possible, but very unlikely to happen. My family won't go with it. They like their foods and don't want change. As long as my weightloss doesn't effect them, they fully support it. It's just one of those things in the family unit that won't change, even though it really should.

We don't eat breakfast or lunch together, no, and my mom doesn't make either for us. The only meal we eat together is dinner, which is at 5-6pm.

But I know it can be done. About 3 years ago my mom started walking and lost lots of weight, even eating whats in the house and what she makes. So I should be able to, too, right?

Ugh. By the logic you guys are presenting me, I feel like I'm destined to fail, no matter how hard I exercise.

It just bothers me. I stopped drinking soda 2 years ago and didn't lose a single pound. My other friend stopped drinking soda, and lost 20. I just feel like a failure.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #9  

You are not a failure and you are NOT destined to fail, but you do have to take responsibility for your food. Doing some of the shopping and cooking is a great idea, and you can still make what they like, but have healthy options to go with it. If you are the only one that eats the healthy stuff, then you'll have leftovers for lunch. The exercise is great, and so is the water, but you can't make excuses when it comes to the food portion, you have to jump in and be proactive about it.

You are going to do great and enjoy your 20's wholeheartedly!
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #10  
Just Me

You aren't a failure, you just have to figure out what works for you. If someone gives up soda and doesn't lose weight, it is possible that they increased their caloric intake some other way.

So I'd say watch your portions and look for ways to tweak your eating. Even if you are eating whats in the house/what your parents make, you could still count calories.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
You aren't a failure, you just have to figure out what works for you. If someone gives up soda and doesn't lose weight, it is possible that they increased their caloric intake some other way.

So I'd say watch your portions and look for ways to tweak your eating. Even if you are eating whats in the house/what your parents make, you could still count calories.
Yeah I do count calories. My other problem is my sleep schedule is really messed up, the last few months have been hectic (friends and family members dying, other personal issues) so I've gotten used to staying up until 3am and sleeping until noon. So most days, I don't even eat until 3-4PM. Which NEEDS to stop. Like today for example, I got up at noon- my total caloric intake was only 130calories. Which is NOT good. But I'm NOT hungry. It's summer, which means humidity=not wanting to eat. So somewhere in this chaos I need to find organization, which is a whole other journey in itself lol.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #12  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

You are not destined to fail. Even eating family-style meals isn't the worst thing you can do. LIke you said with the ribs: eat less ribs than you usually would, eat more broccoli, avoid the bread on the side, and exercise.

Long ago I was in a similar situation, with a vegetarian and not a vegetarian. So while meals were centered around a meat, the veg ate the side dishes. And since she had some input on what the side dishes were, and they were things the non-veg would eat, the non-veg wasn't "put out".

So instead of saying "Mom, you need to make different food for me", say "Mom, I'd like to add a second veg dish to dinner." and offer to help her make it.

What's really helped me in this is the "plate method" of figuring out what proportions I need to eat. Visualize a normal lunch-sized plate. Divide it in half. Fill one half of it with vegetables. Divide the other half into half again. Fill one section with meat/protein. Fill the other with grain/bread.

Then, no matter what the family is eating, you'll be able to make healthier choices. And when your Mom hears your compliments of her veggies, and sees that you're eating more of them, she may make more varieties. There are a LOT of easy veg recipes out there... you can even offer to make some yourself. And it shouldn't interfere with their normal food at all.

So their main dish is heavier than you want... you eat less of it, and more of the sides. In some ways it'll be harder, because you'll need ot make some hard choices meal after meal after meal. But only YOU can choose what goes into your mouth.

Just the fact that you're keeping an eye on what you eat, and that you're aware that you need to cut back on some foods and increase your intake of others, and that portions are a big part of it (pun intended)... those are HUGE steps.

Don't be discouraged. You CAN do this. And as you eat more healthily, and make solid food choices, and continue exercising, maybe your family will be more actively supportive, even if it means a few changes in their meals, too.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhahmd View Post
And here's where the problem comes in. Those things are possible, but very unlikely to happen. My family won't go with it. They like their foods and don't want change. As long as my weightloss doesn't effect them, they fully support it. It's just one of those things in the family unit that won't change, even though it really should.

We don't eat breakfast or lunch together, no, and my mom doesn't make either for us. The only meal we eat together is dinner, which is at 5-6pm.

But I know it can be done. About 3 years ago my mom started walking and lost lots of weight, even eating whats in the house and what she makes. So I should be able to, too, right?

Ugh. By the logic you guys are presenting me, I feel like I'm destined to fail, no matter how hard I exercise.

It just bothers me. I stopped drinking soda 2 years ago and didn't lose a single pound. My other friend stopped drinking soda, and lost 20. I just feel like a failure.

I think I wasn't as clear as I wanted to be in what I was saying. I'm not suggesting you ask your family to change their eating, I'm suggesting that YOU change your eating. Let them buy and cook and eat whatever they want, but ask for your family's support so that YOU can also buy and cook and eat whatever you want. I was suggesting making enough of your healthier foods so they can share them with you - if they want to - but not as a replacement for whatever else they are eating. Just that I think it would be odd if you cooked something and then said they weren't allowed to have it. Cook enough for a few servings because if no one else wants any, then you can have leftovers for lunch and freeze some for another time.

And since you are already eating breakfast and lunch on your own, then you do have the power to make healthier choices already, without impacting anyone else. Depending on what you currently eat, portion control of your current foods may be the answer here, but honestly, if you are eating lots of bread, you will need something else to replace it with - IMO, it's not realistic to just eat less, I think you need to find foods that you can eat enough of so that you aren't hungry.

You aren't destined to fail but for most people, exercise alone isn't going to be enough so you will have to find ways to make more of a change with your food too. Accepting that isn't failure, it's the key to a wonderful and healthy life!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
You are not destined to fail. Even eating family-style meals isn't the worst thing you can do. LIke you said with the ribs: eat less ribs than you usually would, eat more broccoli, avoid the bread on the side, and exercise.

Long ago I was in a similar situation, with a vegetarian and not a vegetarian. So while meals were centered around a meat, the veg ate the side dishes. And since she had some input on what the side dishes were, and they were things the non-veg would eat, the non-veg wasn't "put out".

So instead of saying "Mom, you need to make different food for me", say "Mom, I'd like to add a second veg dish to dinner." and offer to help her make it.

What's really helped me in this is the "plate method" of figuring out what proportions I need to eat. Visualize a normal lunch-sized plate. Divide it in half. Fill one half of it with vegetables. Divide the other half into half again. Fill one section with meat/protein. Fill the other with grain/bread.

Then, no matter what the family is eating, you'll be able to make healthier choices. And when your Mom hears your compliments of her veggies, and sees that you're eating more of them, she may make more varieties. There are a LOT of easy veg recipes out there... you can even offer to make some yourself. And it shouldn't interfere with their normal food at all.

So their main dish is heavier than you want... you eat less of it, and more of the sides. In some ways it'll be harder, because you'll need ot make some hard choices meal after meal after meal. But only YOU can choose what goes into your mouth.

Just the fact that you're keeping an eye on what you eat, and that you're aware that you need to cut back on some foods and increase your intake of others, and that portions are a big part of it (pun intended)... those are HUGE steps.

Don't be discouraged. You CAN do this. And as you eat more healthily, and make solid food choices, and continue exercising, maybe your family will be more actively supportive, even if it means a few changes in their meals, too.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
That makes lots of sense and makes me feel like maybe my situation isn't hopeless after all. I'll definitely do that. We normally only eat one veggie side, but maybe I can bump it up to two. I'll talk to her about that, thanks!