Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #1  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Default Helpful links

Hi. Though I have believed in God most of my life, I just recently (in the past week) asked God to save me and am in the process of changing my life. I am wondering if anyone has any links that can help me in this process and that has some learning tools or the such? Thanks in advance.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #2  
Do everything in love.

S/C/G: 420/305.4/145

Height: 5'9"

Hi Onederchic,

I'm not sure that this is what you would be looking for, but here is a link to some online sermons. I've recently been saved too, and these have been tremendously helpful to me. The pastor makes the messages accessible, and it's kind of a laidback/new age service. Sometimes there's a bit of stuff to get through at first since she records them as she's giving the sermon, but worth it. The link is http://www.grandislandfamilychurch.com/ and you just have to click on "Sermons Online." Other than that, I've just been reading the Bible. I'm sure if you do a Google search for something like Bible study, some results might be helpful. Hope this helps.
ohlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

Thank you very much
Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #4  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

That's FANTASTIC news!

It can be very difficult to find info online because there are so many doctrines and denominations and they all interpret everything differently. Are you hooked up with a church and/or other believers? That's really a good first step, to surround yourself with those who can teach you, support you, and hold you accountable.

If you have any specific questions, please ask and I'll try to help.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Rochester has good advice. A good pastor in a local church is a good source for information as well as church members. There are also many TV Pastors, some better than thers.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

I have been communicating with a pastor from a Calvary Chapel in Aurora, so not locally. I know everyone here is not aware of my issues and situation but there are things in my life that make it....difficult for me to get out around people a lot though I am working to change it too, it doesn't happen overnight unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice
Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #7  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

When I became a Christian, my husband (who is a former youth pastor) advised me that the two things he'd recommend any new Christian to read are the Gospel of John and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I've read both, more than once now, and I think those are great recommendations. Additional books that I think are really good are The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel.

Congratulations on your new life.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I have been communicating with a pastor from a Calvary Chapel in Aurora, so not locally. I know everyone here is not aware of my issues and situation but there are things in my life that make it....difficult for me to get out around people a lot though I am working to change it too, it doesn't happen overnight unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice
I think that is good that you have a pastor you can talk to. He might suggest some good tapes for you, too. I have seen some of your other posts and it looks like you have made a lot of progress, going shopping with your boyfriends Mom for instance. I remember that just meeting his parents for the first time was a major step.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

Thanks bargoo Yes, I have made some improvements and still working on it everyday I've even had both his parents come over and visit me (just once thus far but still) without my bf being home and I didn't even panic
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
Thanks bargoo Yes, I have made some improvements and still working on it everyday I've even had both his parents come over and visit me (just once thus far but still) without my bf being home and I didn't even panic
You are doing great ,congratulations !

Last edited by bargoo; 06-07-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #11  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

on asking the LORD to save you, Michelle -- the Angels in heaven are rejoicing ... (that's what the bible says) ...

I have a few recommendations that you will find very uplifting and positive --

1) The Daily Bread Devotionals @ RBC.org -- you can get them sent to your home or in yours case, you can just go to their site and read them each day. I had them sent to my home before I was able to come online and I do them each morning. They only take a few minutes to do but are chocked full of good teaching each day ... I just love 'em.

2) Crystal Cathedral Ministries @hourofpower.com -- their "Positive Minutes" Devotionals and weekly sermons can be sent to your email; I get them sent to me -- they are the most positive sermons and devotionals in the world. They also broadcast their church services called THE HOUR OF POWER on TV and online. You will definitely find them uplifting and rewarding. I think they are the best ... (OK, I love them, so I guess I am a little biased ... )

3) I have always found KENNETH COPELAND -- @kcm.com to be a wonderful bible teacher and his wife joins him on his site with lots of good stuff too, like daily devotionals, etc.

4) BIBLE.COM -- is a great online site that you can get devotionals, teaching tools, and a great Bible search tool; and I think you will find it very useful too.

5) The BIBLE -- getting yourself a good bible at a bookstore -- ie a Kings James Version is a good place to start (there is a newer revised one too). I agree with others, that the book of JOHN is a great place to start; and then the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and the rest of the letters written by Paul to the churches. I find the PSALMS greatly comforting (and read one Psalm every day); and the book of Proverbs is full of Wisdom.

6) eventually, when you feel up to it -- you could look for a good local pastor for guidance and a church group to join. That does take some trial and error on our parts. I went to different ones over the years to see which ones I felt coincided with the Bible the best and that I enjoyed going to as well.

I am glad that you have already found someone that you can get some advice and counsel from; all of it helps. Of course, we have our Christian Encouragers here at 3FC's and we would be glad to help you in any way we can ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-07-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 264/264/160

Height: 5'7"

Wow. That is awesome news. I think that you should immerse yourself in the Bible and ask God to give you direction. We grow as Christians when we are planted in the soil God ordains for us. I do not know what it is exactly that you are dealing with, but I sense it has to do with an anxiety issue. I know myself that I have dealt with that for several years, even to the point that I was agoraphobic (could not leave my home.) But through prayer and relying on God I am able to live my life normally now. It was a very dark, and scary road but I did make it. Wishing you all the best!

Lanniedo (Sabrina)
Lanniedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
on asking the LORD to save you, Michelle -- the Angels in heaven are rejoicing ... (that's what the bible says) ...

I have a few recommendations that you will find very uplifting and positive --

1) The Daily Bread Devotionals @ RBC.org -- you can get them sent to your home or in yours case, you can just go to their site and read them each day. I had them sent to my home before I was able to come online and I do them each morning. They only take a few minutes to do but are chocked full of good teaching each day ... I just love 'em.

2) Crystal Cathedral Ministries @hourofpower.com -- their "Positive Minutes" Devotionals and weekly sermons can be sent to your email; I get them sent to me -- they are the most positive sermons and devotionals in the world. They also broadcast their church services called THE HOUR OF POWER on TV and online. You will definitely find them uplifting and rewarding. I think they are the best ... (OK, I love them, so I guess I am a little biased ... )

3) I have always found KENNETH COPELAND -- @kcm.com to be a wonderful bible teacher and his wife joins him on his site with lots of good stuff too, like daily devotionals, etc.

4) BIBLE.COM -- is a great online site that you can get devotionals, teaching tools, and a great Bible search tool; and I think you will find it very useful too.

5) The BIBLE -- getting yourself a good bible at a bookstore -- ie a Kings James Version is a good place to start (there is a newer revised one too). I agree with others, that the book of JOHN is a great place to start; and then the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and the rest of the letters written by Paul to the churches. I find the PSALMS greatly comforting (and read one Psalm every day); and the book of Proverbs is full of Wisdom.

6) eventually, when you feel up to it -- you could look for a good local pastor for guidance and a church group to join. That does take some trial and error on our parts. I went to different ones over the years to see which ones I felt coincided with the Bible the best and that I enjoyed going to as well.

I am glad that you have already found someone that you can get some advice and counsel from; all of it helps. Of course, we have our Christian Encouragers here at 3FC's and we would be glad to help you in any way we can ...

Thank you so very much!! This is awesome
Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #14  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanniedo View Post
Wow. That is awesome news. I think that you should immerse yourself in the Bible and ask God to give you direction. We grow as Christians when we are planted in the soil God ordains for us. I do not know what it is exactly that you are dealing with, but I sense it has to do with an anxiety issue. I know myself that I have dealt with that for several years, even to the point that I was agoraphobic (could not leave my home.) But through prayer and relying on God I am able to live my life normally now. It was a very dark, and scary road but I did make it. Wishing you all the best!

Lanniedo (Sabrina)

Thank you very much. A few years back, I was diagnosed with mild agoraphobia, depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, bipolar so I do have some emotional, mental and social issues though I am trying hard to work through them and overcome them
Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

MEESH those are outstanding books recommended by WARMAIDEN...

great advice already...

here is the link to the affiliation of my church....

http://www.lhm.org/

Last edited by EZMONEY; 06-07-2010 at 11:35 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote