Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 255.8/238.6/135

Height: 5'2"

Question Whats your favorite low calorie breakfasts / lunches?

Hello Everyone!
I'm looking for some ideas for lower calorie breakfast and lunch ideas that are your favorites. Currently I have just been having a slimfast shake which clocks in at around 260 calories, so I'm looking for some ideas in and around the 300 calorie range
diesirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/145/105

Height: 5'1

It might not be seen as too healthy, but I usually have whole wheat toast and tea for breakfast. I top the toast with a tablespoon of jam and two tablespoons of cottage cheese. It's really satisfying and only 130 calories. Sometimes I add a grilled tomato and a fruit and it's still about 300 calories.
mushroom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been doing a breakfast fruit burrito. Basically, WW burrito with almond butter and either half a banana or some berries (or hey do both).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

Salads are an easy way to go :P

But some of my faves are:

Amy's Organic No Chicken Noodle Soup- which a whole can is only 180 calories!

Tofurkey sandwich with soy cheese, tomato, and spinach, soo good!

trader joe's oatmeal

rice cakes with jelly on top is also very tasty

fruit smoothies

A lot of organic, healthy, TV dinners are low calorie also, I like anything Amy's a lot, and they have lasagna, mac and cheese, mexican foods, different pastas, pizza, potpies, soups, etc.
And Thailand makes good low calorie soups too that are all very filling, my favorite is the udon
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I eat the same breakfasts:

* Trader Joe's fat free Greek Yogurt with honey (120 calories), chopped/sliced berries (75 calories) - so 200 calories for all

* 1/2 cup of oatmeal (made with water, I like to use less water so it's really firm, 2 big tbs of apple butter (I get some stuff from the store that is just apples and spices) - about 200 calories

* 2 pieces of whole grain toast (or Kashi waffles) - one with jam (or cherry butter or apricot preserves or orange marmalade) one with natural peanut butter (around 400 calories total)

* La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortilla (50 calories), scrambled eggs, spinach leaves, salsa (about 200 calories)
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I am interested in this thread as well but from a traveling perspective by car throughout the West this summer. I hope more people post. Traveling is always a difficult situation and the more ideas, the more choices one can rely on.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #7  

Height: 5'10

I eat totally boring and often unhealthy cereal for breakfast ... lol
I like multigrain cheerios ... but I also eat sugar full kids cereals!
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

I love changing up what I eat for breakfast. Here is what I usually have that is 300 cal or under. Make sure you measure to make sure.

~A homemade all fruit and soy milk smoothie
~1/2 to 1 whole Whole wheat bran muffin (Recommend homemade or Zen Bakery's, Or Trader Joe's version without sugar). With a cup of hot tea or coffee and then a glass of water.
~ Homemade Museli with no sugar added and soymilk
~Miso Soup with vegetables (A Japanese Breakfast)
~ I used to have egg whites, filling and low cal.
~ 1 Slice of Whole Wheat (Ezekiel Bread) Toast with 1 TBSP Nut butter
~ Oatmeal, Or any other whole grain hot cereal with soy milk
~ I usually use hot tea or coffee with breakfast with some soy creamer
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #9  

My favourite for lunch is chick pea salad - some canned chick peas, some cherry tomatoes/ cucumber/ spring onions/ leafy greens (I switch those out for variety) and maybe some thinly sliced turkey breast if I fancy it. The dressing for this is simply some joghurt or sour cream, salt&pepper (or chili), lemon juice and a pinch of something sweet - I use cranberry sauce, mango chutney or plum butter.

It packs very well, will keep for hours, (days if refrigerated) and is very filling. I gave no measurements, because you can figure out the amount you want to eat with a kitchen scale. The one I usually make for me is 300-400 kcal.
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #10  

When traveling I keep an emergency stash of tuna (in the pouch), string cheese, grape tomatoes, and apples- all of which can remain without cooling for some time, can be eaten in the car while driving, and have enough protein and fiber to fill me up.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/146/135

Height: 5"1"

I love this thread! I'm terrible at trying to decide what to have for breakfast and some days it's 4 in the afternoon and I still haven't had anything but liquids.

I was doing fruit and yogurt but got bored with that so I'm going to try some of the posted suggestions.

Shyanara, you've made me hungry for a salad I used to make with chickpeas and tuna with pretty much the same veggies as you list.

bliss~

Last edited by bliss; 06-18-2010 at 05:19 PM.
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #12  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I don't really eat toast anymore because gluten free bread is quite high calorie, so what I do now is have a bit of peanut butter on rice cakes It's my lame version of toast haha. When I have gluten free toast, I only use a bit of margarine, that works out to be about 300 calories (their 127 calories a slice)

Or I'll have three eggs hard boiled, or scrambled with some cottage cheese. 3 large eggs is 210 calories or so, and sometimes I have some veggies or fruit on the side.

For lunch, I often have a salad with tuna and light italian dressing, or I'll have leftovers from dinner which is usually baked chicken and steamed veggies and maybe some rice.

All of those are about 300 calories. I snack on fruit throughout the day and always eat a healthy dinner.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #13  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Generally, breakfast is my largest meal of the day, and I decrease throughout the day and eat the fewest calories at dinner. However, when I do want something light, this works great:

Scramble 2 large eggs, then stir in 1/4 cup canned black beans, 2 T. Pace picante sauce, and 1/2 oz. smoked cheddar cheese.
And a plum.

Calories: 311
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

I love my breakfast to be savory!

Here is my all time favorite breakfast:
Egg Whites - 40 cal
Meat (ham, turkey or bacon) - 50-70 cal
Pita - 30 cal for half, which I use, 60 cal if you use the whole pita
Onions and peppers are optional. - 25 max

2 egg whites cooked on a skillet, just need a quick spray of Pam and a little salt. I stuff them in half of a Joseph's Pita. If you are not familiar with Joseph's, click the link. Then I will either stuff the pita with ham, turkey or bacon. 2 slices of ham or turkey on the skillet and in the pita. Bam! I've got literally a 5 minute breakfast. Oh, be sure to nuke the pita for like10 seconds. I generally always have juliened tri-color peppers in my fridge, I will throw some of those in the skillet too and into the pita.

Oscar Meyer center cut bacon allows for 3 slices at a total of 70 calories. So much better than turkey bacon.

This breakfast comes in at around 200 calories if you max it out and it is very tasty!
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

As for lunch, I'm all about quick and easy and these pitas by Josephs are low calorie, low carb, high protein and decent fiber.

Stuff half of a pita with John Soules frozen chicken fajita meat. Another thing I keep in the fridge is fat free refried beans that have salsa and taco sauce in them. Add about a tablespoon of beans, onions, peppers, light sour cream and whatever else you fancy. Again, this will keep you well under 300 calories.

I also buy these precooked frozen chicken breasts at Sam's club made by Members Mark. I will eat those with a box of Green Giant healthy vision, immunity or whatever the other one is, vegetables.
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote