Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #1  
Philly Dancing Queen

S/C/G: 265/245/170

Height: 5 ft3

Default Skinny People Annoy Me

I was trapped. It wasn't my fault. I blame the TOM.

But I was standing in a long grocery store line in front of two very skinny women, one of whom was *****ing about having to lose THREE POUNDS. One was complaining about how she had to take in her size 4 jeans.

After 10 minutes of this, I finally turned around, did a head to toe sweep of my fabulous size 20-22 body with my hand and said "For real? Want to trade?"

They finally shut up.

Also, one of them had Oreos in her little hand thing. She had been talking about how she just had to have them. I hated her a little more when I saw that.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

People need to be so careful about what they say in public and really beware of who is within hearing distance, for goodness sakes. I know weight loss is huge on every woman's mind, no matter her size, which is frankly quite sad. But it is just not ok to complain about weight in front of anyone larger than yourself, in my opinion.

I always have and always will hate it when some tinier than me uses the words "I am so fat". Do people really not see that by calling themselves "fat" they're calling anyone larger enormous?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/239/~110 - 120

Height: 5'0"

Yeah, I know what you mean. My sister, is like 110 dripping wet and was complaining she gained 5 lbs.

I know that they have problems too, but come on!

Side note grats on the ability to turn and say that! I wouldn't have had that courage!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #4  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

Ugh!! That annoys me so. I work with many skinny chicks who are always "on a diet" and trying to lose weight because they "look like an oompa-loompa" in their size 4. As I sit next to this conversation my size 14 get smaller and smaller around what I see as my body becoming huge as the skinny girl thinks she's fat.

Congratulations on your reaction, seriously, that's not overreacting. Maybe that's just the slap in the face these 2 girls needed to start being more considerate of others and start appreciating their bodies. I never had the nerve to do that... although I've thought it so many times!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/253.8/160

Height: 5'2

All People Annoy me good for you for saying something ... I would have also .. My moma has always said its going to be my mouth that gets me in trouble
Old 06-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #6  

I've noticed that women tend to do that in order to fish for compliments. However, it is possible(however slight) that maybe she has finished a weight-loss journey and hasn't adjusted yet. Although the cynic in me believes that she really just wanted attention...
Old 06-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Old 06-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #8  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Makes me think of a story I mentioned here not too long ago, about DB's cousin. We were talking about healthy eating and she mentioned how hard it is to lose weight; she's down five pounds since last summer but still has a whole five pounds to lose and feels "stuck." I congratulated her on her loss and also sympathized, saying I know how hard it is to be stuck at the mid-point. And when I mentioned I'd lost 35 pounds this summer (and before I had to a chance to bring up that I've been stuck at my own halfway point at around 100 pounds lost) she basically snapped at me, informing me how much harder it is for someone her size to lose weight.

Um, I guess that's debatable if you're talking pound-per-pound, but when you're already at a healthy weight, why are you comparing your ten vanity pounds to the two hundred a super morbidly obese person has spent years struggling to shed?

Last edited by Elladorine; 06-06-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I am trying to lose 5lbs right now. I will ***** about it wherever I want to. I would have been irritated if someone had interjected themselves into my private conversation.

Last edited by Glory87; 06-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

When I was super morbidly obese I never understood how slim people could possibly complain about needing to lose 5 lbs.

UNTIL I became a slim person and put on 5 lbs. When you are that small, 5 lbs, makes a HUGE difference. In how your clothing fits and in how you feel. When I was large 5 lb swings were not noticeable. Now - they're noticeable and they are what is annoying to me - not people. Well at least not most people.

Oh and I've complained about not being able to find clothing that is small enough for me and that most things need to be taken - it IS annoying. Granted it's not as annoying as being able to only shop in 3 stores, but it IS genuinely annoying.

That being said, I don't do my *complaining* in earshot of others. Mostly just to my kids and here at 3FC.

I do think we have to watch what we say - even here at 3FC.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
When I was super morbidly obese I never understood how slim people could possibly complain about needing to lose 5 lbs.

UNTIL I became a slim person and put on 5 lbs. When you are that small, 5 lbs, makes a HUGE difference. In how your clothing fits and in how you feel. When I was large 5 lb swings were not noticeable. Now - they're noticeable and they are what is annoying to me - not people. Well at least not most people.

Oh and I've complained about not being able to find clothing that is small enough for me and that most things need to be taken - it IS annoying. Granted it's not as annoying as being able to only shop in 3 stores, but it IS genuinely annoying.

That being said, I don't do my *complaining* in earshot of others. Mostly just to my kids and here at 3FC.

I do think we have to watch what we say - even here at 3FC.

Yes, I agree. I mentioned this before, sometimes people are just wanting some support and understanding and if we can't at the least give them that when most of us have been in the same place they may be then... well, it's just my opinion anyway.

Last edited by Onederchic; 06-06-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5

i can completely understand when my skinny friends keep on saying how fat they have become in their size 6's or how they need to lose weight... i actually feel bad the mostt when i go out with them and i only eat half my food and i offer it to them and they say.. why are you trying to get us fat.... thats the worst thing they can do... i know they dont mean it but sometimes it just plain hurts...

good going toomuchmoxie!!!!! loved your reply
Old 06-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #13  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

that is so hilarious that you actually said that to those skinny women! That is something I would love to say, but would be too chicken to.

I don't think that when another woman says she is fat, that she is intending it to be an insult to someone who is larger than her. Most people are just so absorbed with their own issues that they don't even realize that there may be someone who is heavier right next to them wishing they were there size. I remember when I was in HS I thought I was so fat and I would call myself fat all the time, I look back at those pictures and think "DAMN I would kill to be that size again!" It's really just all about self confidence. I used to think that losing all the extra weight I had to lose would just magically make me more confident in myself and I would forget about the years of being picked on and the years of hiding from the mirrors.

Everyone has their own personal battles, gripes, complaints etc. With the media glorifying stick thin and airbrushed celebrities women everywhere have insecurities about themselves when they look in the mirror and don't see the airbrushed perfection that is shoved down all our throats. And just like those women have the right to publicly complain about their issues, the op had every right to say what she said.

Yes even here at 3fc we need to be sensitive about others' feelings and what not, but a girl needs to have a place to rant. Just as I'm sure those women weren't meaning to offend the op by complaining about their issues, I'm sure the op meant no offense by her post. We all have those moments when we just need to get something off our chests and we shouldn't be afraid of letting it out. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. You can disagree with others' opinions but it's unfair to criticize someone else for expressing theirs.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #14  

LOL! You are my new hero! Good for you for speaking up, rather than holding in what you were thinking and eating to cover up your irritation. IMO, if it's a private conversation, they shouldn't be having it in a public place.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #15  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

I have had some people tell me I'm crazy whenever I mention i'm trying to lose weight because they view me as skinny. I'm not trying to put anyone down when I talk about my journey to lose weight. Sometimes people don't know how far you've come or what you've been through. Also usually when I see my skinny friends talk about losing weight I don't assume they are trying to insult me. But I do realize that our society puts the size zero on a pedestal and most women who are above a size zero see themselves as fat. My cousin is a size zero -- she isn't anorexic but when we go shopping people are always complimenting her and telling her she should model. So really I don't think we should assume.
Closed Thread