Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #1  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Interesting info on cereals

Ok, I'm not saying everyone should go out and switch to cookie crisp right this second, but in comparison it is not nearly as bad as one would think. Hubby and I have looked at other cereals too and many of the ones you would think are terrible aren't nearly as bad as one might think, and like the cookie crisp, are in some ways better than our "healthy" cereals. So, while I do not plan for it to be my cereal every morning, I did get some cookie crisp and I had some for breakfast today. Hubby compared granola with pop tarts and became confused and disgusted, he thinks you should try it. The moral of the story: before denying yourself your favorite breakfast cereal, you should read the label to see if you really need to do so.

Special K Protein Plus
29g serving
Calories: 100
Fat: 3
Sat. Fat: 0.5
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 110
Potassium: 320
Total Carb: 14
Fiber: 5
Sugar: 2
Protein: 10
Calcium: 4%
Folic Acid: 35%

Rice Chex
27g serving
Fat: 0
Sat. Fat: 0
Sodium: 240
Potassium: 30
Total Carb: 23
Fiber: 0
Sugar: 2
Protein: 2
Calcium: 10%
Folic Acid: 50%

Cookie Crisp
27g serving
Fat: 1
Sodium: 150
Potassium: 40
Total Carb: 23
Fiber: 1
Sugar: 10
Protein: 1
Calcium: 10%
Folic Acid: 25%

All-Bran Bran Buds
30g serving
Calories: 70
Fat: 1
Sodium: 200
Potassium: 300
Total Carb: 24
Fiber: 13
Sugar: 8
Protein: 2
Calcium: 0%
Folic Acid: 100%
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/253.8/160

Height: 5'2

Ohh yea when I did WW i used to eat corn pops cause I got more for the same points value as healthy stuff
Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There's something about cereal that gives me this horrible uncontrollable "can't shovel it in my mouth fast enough" sensation.

Though Cookie Crisp IS better than some other cereals, for me, it's no where near good enough. In fact it's awful. At 10 grams of sugar per serving, that is more than double the amount of what is considered a low sugar item. And me, I NEED low sugar. Without a doubt this would definitely bring on that *sensation* for me. It's basically cookies in a bowl. I'd be through that box in minutes flat. It also provides negligible fiber and negligible protein, which means I would be STARVING just a very short time after eating it. It has ZERO filling power. For me this would not work. My calories MUST work for me. I need to be full and satisfied from my cals. I also need them to stave off cravings for junk, not bring on cravings for junk, which is what this cereal would make happen.

I do agree that there are cereals that many people would consider to be healthy, which are really not all that healthy - like granola and even Raisin Bran.

But *for me*, this is NOT the breakfast of champions and no way to begin my day.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-06-2010 at 12:35 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I agree with Robin, definitely. I can not start my day with cereal and I knew this way before I started this journey. Cereal makes me ravenous within 45 minutes of eating it. The only cereal I do ok with is Fiber One, specifically the "rabbit food" looking variety.

But...I just picked up some Cracklin' Oat Bran for my kids to snack on instead of chips, and also some Bran Chex. I figure it's better for them. We'll see how it goes.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/239/~110 - 120

Height: 5'0"

Yes, I definitely look at the labels of all cereals, though many don't fill me up or keep me going all morning. I also look at not only the weight of the serving, but the amount. I see like my special K red berries is 1 cup, where as my fave, reeses puffs is only 3/4 of a cup. More of a mind trick, but I trick myself into thinking I am getting more with the red berries.

but this has me thinking about other foods... HMMMM I will have to read labels a little closer!

I would be interested to see what his outcome for the granola/pop tart comparison is... I for one cannot just have ONE pop tart. If I open a pack I have to eat both!

Last edited by mizb1978; 06-06-2010 at 01:23 PM.
mizb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I must be getting old, but the "healthy and or plain" cereals taste better to me than the sugar laden ones. As I kid I loved Lucky Charms, but now I just can't stand it. I think it's the texture of the "marshmallows". I much prefer a bowl of bran flakes or fiber one. I'll add some fresh strawberries, banana or blueberries to it, or just eat it plain.
When I have kids no sugar laden cereal for them.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
The only cereal I do ok with is Fiber One, specifically the "rabbit food" looking variety.

This is the case with me as well.

There used to be a time when the plain Kashi Go Lean was also a safe bet, but that is no longer the case. Or if it is at this point I wouldn't know, would need to experiment with it, as I banned it over a year ago.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #8  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

mizb1978 - What he found was not that poptarts are ok for you, it was that most granolas are just as bad. Considering the way granola is marketed as a healthy alternative, it made him kinda mad and he was disgusted with the granola people.

I understand that cereal in general and things like cookie crisp specifically are not for everyone. That's why I started out my post saying that I was not suggesting everyone go switch right now. I'm trying it though, and so far I'm doing ok. I subbed it in in place of my rice chex and left my breakfast otherwise the same, and I was satisfied with my 1 serving of cookie crisp and was full until time for lunch.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

My teens were raised on cereal and are used to eating it before running out the door to school. I so pretty much try to buy cereals that have *some* redeeming value, like fiber or protein or just low sugar. I mostly buy frosted mini wheats, Kix, plain Life, Cheerios (normal ones), and occasionally raisin bran even tho its high in sugar because I figure the fiber is good for them.

Label reading is so important!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #10  

I LOVE Kashi GoLean cereals. It walks the fine line between being too good and I want multiple bowls and tasting like cardboard. It has all natural ingredients. It is worth the extra cost to me. A good stand-by breakfast is 1 cup GoLean, 1/2 cup light soymilk, and 1/2 a banana. Fills me right up!

What is cookie crisp? I was not allowed sugar cereal growing up...
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/239/~110 - 120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
mizb1978 - What he found was not that poptarts are ok for you, it was that most granolas are just as bad. Considering the way granola is marketed as a healthy alternative, it made him kinda mad and he was disgusted with the granola people.
Interesting. I never buy pop tarts, because of the above mentioned eating two servings at once thing. I also have never bought straight granola. I do like granola bars however. I will have to do a compare to see how they stack up!

Last edited by mizb1978; 06-06-2010 at 02:31 PM.
mizb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #12  

I can't remember where I heard this, but the first five ingredients are the most important when it comes to cereal and if sugar is in the first five it is high in sugar.
mollymai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Interesting info, thanks. I rarely eat cereal though but now I am wanting a big bowl lol
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
Interesting info, thanks. I rarely eat cereal though but now I am wanting a big bowl lol
ROFLMAO
mollymai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #15  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I have a bowl of cheerios practically every morning (and a few spoons of cottage cheese- NOT together ewwww lol) and stay full til noon. I LOVE cereal it's a perfect food IMO lol, starting the day, or coming home late and not time to make something - a bowl of cereal and cold milk, awesome! Kashi GoLean Crunch is crazy good, but I only have it once in a blue moon if it's on sale. Cheerios is my go-to. Just plain old Cheerios.

But yes, the marketing for 'healthy' stuff is kind of silly -- like GRANOLA BARS lol, they're just masquerading as a healthy alternative, but they're really a chocolate bar!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote