Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #1  
It'll all be worth it...

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/120

Height: 5'4

Default What do you tell yourself....

....when it all starts to feel a bit daunting?

I'm just curious because it must be a common enough thing....most of us have a lot to lose.

I've gotten into weight loss (who knows how many times) and lost weight and I get as far as 10 or 20lbs and think....this is going to take forever. And it can be a bit disheartening. And I know that you need to celebrate all the small victories but it doesn't stop the fact that it's still very daunting.....

Anyway just wondering what keeps you going??
Maddie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

I've never posted in this section, but I saw the title of your thread and had to comment.

The idea of losing weight can be extremely daunting, I completely agree. The one thing that keeps me going and keeps me on track is telling myself that "Tomorrow, next week, & next year are going to happen regardless of whether I'm leading a healthy lifestyle or continuing to live life out of control, so I may as well do my absolute best each and everyday"

There's one poster on this board (and I can't for the life of me remember who it is) but she has a quote in her signature that says: 1 year from now you'll wish that you had started today. That quote couldn't be more true.

Just stay on track and keep fighting, the hours are going to tick by anyway so you may as well make the most of them. Good luck!
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/114/110

Height: 5'3

Hi Maddie89, when feeling like giving up, I tell myself if I stop now, where will I be 6, 9 or 12 months from now? Life is going to continue, nothing will stop. Now, do I want to find myself in the same place I was a year from now?
It sounds simplistic, but sometimes it gives me the motivation to keep going... Best of lucks in your journey!!!

Caribbean Girl
caribbeangirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

I love that quote and it's so true!
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I only weigh myself monthly, and measure at that time, too. That way I'm not a slave to the scale, nor is it my only measurement of progress. I focus more on the day-to-day "working" of my plan, and keep to the faith that if I eat within my plan and exercise regularly, there WILL be a result on the scale and measuring tape. But the day-to-day working is the actual goal. The scale will move because of it, but it's not my main goal. Otherwise I focus so much on the scale that I miss the rest.

I also have really begun thinking of this weight-loss journey as a road: I can either be moving backward, standing still, or moving forward, but I'm always ON it. I might as well keep moving.

In addition, I don't think of the WHOLE shebang. Sure, I want to be less than 150 pounds... but I haven't seen that in almost 30 years. So you'll notice my ticker doesn't even go down that far. For me, "long-term" is 30 pounds, and short-term is the monthly weigh-in and the "decade" I'm currently focusing on. I can't worry about 150. Or 250, for that matter. I'm focusing on the 280s at the moment. I'll worry about the rest later. When I get below 280 and I've reached that first 30 pound goal, I'll change my "long-term" goal to 250, 30 more pounds gone.

This is what has been helping me this time get ready for the long haul. Otherwise, I'd already be overwhelmed and be contemplating giving up. The 4-6 month period has always been that time for me. This time is different, because I'm not overwhelmed by the enormity of the job.

Even losing "just" one pound every week leads to a loss of over 50 pounds in a year. Next year at this time, I'll be at least 50 pounds lighter. I don't have to rush. Slow but steady can win the race, too!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Hopeful gave you the start of my answer. I read that same quote (A year from now you'll be glad you started today) and really took it to heart. That day, my first day here, I decided to make a one year commitment to myself. Through a little self-analysis I realized my problem was that I quit when it seemed like what I was doing was too hard given the slow the progress I made. But I DID make progress...it just wasn't fast enough for me. So I decided to give this journey one year, no matter what, just to see where it would get me. For one year, no matter what the scale says, I am on plan every day. This is the most successful I have ever been. The most I have ever lost at one time was 30 lbs. I'm up to over 50 now.

Also, I love my mini goals. My ticker is always set to a mini goal because seeing the entire 100 lbs I have to lose is too daunting.

Oh, and directly opposite of Synger, I am a daily weigher for the same reason. By weighing daily, I am not a slave to the scale. I find myself thinking about it way less by knowing that I get to weigh again every morning.

It's all about what works for you, but isn't wonderful that we have each other to share possibilities?!

Last edited by Eliana; 06-05-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 232/153/135

Height: 5'3"

It's really helped me this time to compare my weightloss to someone training to become a professional or olympic athlete, to be honest. Sure, everyone notices the "big event" but behind the big event were years of every day training and decisions (and injuries and setbacks along the way).

Maybe this line of thinking is too overwhelming for some. But when I am tempted to blow off my exercise time, or the 15 minutes of planning or extra shopping or if I have a bad day and think I might as well throw in the towel...I remind myself that what I am working for, in my world, is just as hard as someone who is in hard core training to become a professional athlete.

At least this time around, it's really given me strength to NOT rely on "snapshot" moments (weight on any given day, an overindulgence, illness, ect) but on needing to keep on training to get to my goal and beyond. It's also given me permission to guard my time for exercise and food shopping/prep/planning. When I was "just" dieting, it was easy for me to just toss that aside to take care of someone else. But now I am training my body, and working towards my health.

Even the most talented natural athletes still need to practice and train. It's just how it is. In order to make and keep my body fit, I'm going to need to do the same too. Even after I get to "goal weight", I know that I'm not "done". But that's okay with me now, and I understand that, I've made peace with the process. I'm sure I'll have total freakouts every once in awhile, that's who I am too. But that image is really helping me.
tigerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I think I finally have my head wrapped around the whole idea of this being a life style. And, I have a friend who refers to her new lifestyle as 'training for old age.' So, in a weird way that takes off alot of pressure. I'm not losing wt for a reunion, wedding or some other important event. Eating healthy moderate portions of good foods and exercising is just a way of life now. If I make a mistake, and I do, I just get right back on the wagon.

Because of the change in attitude, the weightloss is no longer the focus. It's a lovely side affect of life style changes I've made and intend on keeping till they put me in the grave.

Anyway, that's how I'm doing it for the long haul.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

When this gets daunting, I go to the goal section,the maintainer section and right here on the 100lb club I read the stories and posts of the people who were once in my shoes and they are finally doing it! I tell myself that, if they can do it, I can too. I also come here everyday and make myself accountable to everyone. Hang in there. There is no reason why this can't be your time to get it right. And, keep trying. Don't give up!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #10  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerchild View Post
It's really helped me this time to compare my weightloss to someone training to become a professional or olympic athlete, to be honest. Sure, everyone notices the "big event" but behind the big event were years of every day training and decisions (and injuries and setbacks along the way).

Maybe this line of thinking is too overwhelming for some. But when I am tempted to blow off my exercise time, or the 15 minutes of planning or extra shopping or if I have a bad day and think I might as well throw in the towel...I remind myself that what I am working for, in my world, is just as hard as someone who is in hard core training to become a professional athlete.

At least this time around, it's really given me strength to NOT rely on "snapshot" moments (weight on any given day, an overindulgence, illness, ect) but on needing to keep on training to get to my goal and beyond. It's also given me permission to guard my time for exercise and food shopping/prep/planning. When I was "just" dieting, it was easy for me to just toss that aside to take care of someone else. But now I am training my body, and working towards my health.

Even the most talented natural athletes still need to practice and train. It's just how it is. In order to make and keep my body fit, I'm going to need to do the same too. Even after I get to "goal weight", I know that I'm not "done". But that's okay with me now, and I understand that, I've made peace with the process. I'm sure I'll have total freakouts every once in awhile, that's who I am too. But that image is really helping me.
beautifully said! great way to think of it
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

The first thing that keeps me going is this board! It has been my lifesaver lately.

The next thing that keeps me going is I look in the mirror and I cannot stand to look at myself being this size. I know I am healthier than I was but I still have a long way to go.

The last thing that keeps me going is I know that I can accomplish this goal!
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am another one who looks at the year, with a slightly different saying. I tell myself that a year is going to go by regardless and I can choose to weigh more, less, or the same.

I think it also helps that I have accepted that I had to make permanent changes. I am developing a diet that I can eat the rest of my life.

Like GirlyGirlSebas, I look at the success stories to remind myself that this is doable. Others have lost large amounts of weight, so I can too. In addition to the success stories here, I look at the Joy Fit Club stories on the Today show Web site.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I tell myself the truth. It is ok to decide to stay fat, if I want to.

Then I go, "No way, I don't want to!" and I stay on plan.

(It isn't always easy, but I have been fat long enough and want to be healthy, so I use that as motivation).
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/253.8/160

Height: 5'2

For me Its a song a song I just found But its from the Broadway show Wicked And it was preformed on Glee .. The Song is called Defying Gravity I am sure its not meant the way I am hearing it but thats the wonderfull thing about music it can mean different things to different people

You can find it on You Tube Check it out I know for me its a Amazing Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1fQ...eature=related

Last edited by Mellington; 06-06-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #15  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewCreation View Post
I think I finally have my head wrapped around the whole idea of this being a life style....
Anyway, that's how I'm doing it for the long haul.
lots of great things written here I agree with. the biggest thing for me is accepting it as a lifestyle. I can't say I've conquered all my weight loss and eating s, but I've come a long way and am much healthier.

I pulled a blouse out of the closet today that was a size 28. I buy 16s now. I threw that puppy in the garbage (it was a little raggedy too, ha). Persistence and faith helped me get to this point. Yeah, it's time and work, but most things worth having and doing take time and work.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote