Old 06-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #1  

Default w w and cabbage soup

I'm fairly new here and have another question. Does anyone have the point value for the cabbage soup? I'm doing good on the weight watchers and not going on the soup diet, but want to incorporate the soup into my points just because I like it. Thank you anyone!!!
craftymamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Height: 5'7"

Is it a homemade soup? If so, just calculate the calories as you place items in the pot!! That's what I do when I make my own homemade vegetable soup.
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #3  

Just trying to figure it up by the cup and can't think tonight. Has anyone said figuring how to diet was easy? NOT!!! Thank you very much.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #4  

I don't know what is in it, but if it is just cabbage, onions, tomato, celery, broth, etc. then you are looking at probably less than 100 calories.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #5  

Sorry! I am noticing this is a weight watchers forum, I replied to you from the 'new posts' section. Haha, oh well...
Old 06-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Depends which version of cabbage soup you use. There are countless variations of the WW zero point soup. Just type "zero point soups" (with or without the quotes) into google, and you'll find links to dozens of zero point soups.

It's not a bad idea to calculate the calories too, because if you have more than a bowl or two a day, the calories can add up quicker than you think (and in WW zero plus zero, doesn't always = zero), especially since I believe both tomato juice and carrots (which the soups often include) are both only zero points in limited quantities.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #7  

Thank you girls!! I am in a "DUH" mode today I guess. I found the WW recipie for cabbage soup but I used diced tomatoes and not tomatoe paste. The can had a cal count on it so I may just add 1/2 point per bowl then I will be safe. Otherwise it has no cals. And it's something I really like so this should work. Thanks again. Good luck to you all on this confusing journey...
Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymamie View Post
Thank you girls!! I am in a "DUH" mode today I guess. I found the WW recipie for cabbage soup but I used diced tomatoes and not tomatoe paste. The can had a cal count on it so I may just add 1/2 point per bowl then I will be safe. Otherwise it has no cals.
Not to nit-pick, but remember, the other ingredients DO contain calories.

Points are not calories (they're based partially on calories). Zero point foods very often DO have calories (all vegetables have calories, all "real" foods have calories).

Diced canned tomatoes are a zero point food (for one whole cup). One tablespoon of tomato paste has the calorie equivalent of 1/4 cup of canned diced tomatoes (or more if the tomato paste contains sugar).

I think the half-point estimation isn't a bad one, but I think the distinction between zero points and zero calories has to be remembered. That's where I got in trouble with the WW zero point soup. I'd eat a large bowl at lunch and dinner, and throughout the day as snacks. Because WW didn't set a limit on the zero point foods, I thought of them as foods that couldn't threaten weight loss - as zero calorie foods. My weight loss stalled (not only from the uncounted calories, but also from water retention due to the sodium).

Ultimately, the scale will tell you if you're overusing uncounted zero point foods.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-06-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #9  

Kaplods: I think you'r right now that I've studied it more. I went ahead yest. and put 1 point just to be on the safe side. I only eat abt 2 small bowls a day with wasa crisp bread---GOOOOOOD!!!! I know pelople think I am nuts, but I like cabbage soup! Anyway I was down 2 lbs this morn from last week so I will keep it up till I stall then chan my stradigy some, but keep using points. Thanks...
Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #10  

I don't think you're nuts, because I absolutely adore the flavor combination of cooked tomatoes and cabbage (whether it's in soup or cabbage rolls).

One of my favorite zero point soups is a variation of a Russian or Ukranian hot borscht I saw on the Food Channel or maybe it was the Travel Channel.

On the show, the soup was made from beef, carrots, onions, beets, potatoes, tomatoes and cabbage. I just usually leave out the potatoes and the beef)

I don't measure the amounts (except for the beef or potatoes, if I add them). I use a can of beef broth (and sometimes some leftover cooked beef, which of course you have to count), a can of diced beets, a chopped onion, chopped cabbage, a can of petite diced tomatoes (I hate large chunks of tomato), a bit of powdered or paste soup paste or a bouillon cube (I used to use Better than Bouillon brand, but now I buy powdered soup base from a bulk store), some minced garlic (or garlic powder).

I love the "dump" soups, where most of the ingredients come from a can or frozen package (if I'm really lazy, I'll even use frozen chopped onion).