Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/188/165.....165/165/155

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Apple Cider Vineger?

A friend told me once that taking 2 tablespoons before a meal helps with weight loss (something to do with increased metabolism?). I tried it for 4/5th of a bottle and didn't really notice much, but honestly I was not consistent.

Anyone here been consistent, and/or had any experience with apple cider vinegar?
MissChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

When i was in high school, i had apple cider vinegar before a meal, but in pill form. i did lose a significant amount of weight, around 30 pounds. I'm not sure though if it was because of the vinegar pills, or an intense calorie restricted diet so i'm not doing it this time around.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #3  

I have heard of this but have been told by many that tried it that it doesn't work at all. I mean it wouldn't hurt to give it a try but I think it is a big sham.
Calypso7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/211/115

Height: 5'4"

I read something about this recently on webmd.com - http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2 <- here specifically. According to this, there are some health/diet benefits, especially for lowing blood sugar levels. I don't think it's a big sham; I think it's supportive, not a cure all -- by that I mean, it might help with weight loss, but only if you're managing your diet too.
ohmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #5  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I love taking it like this:

2 tbs ACV (organic with the "mother" is best but you can use regular)
8 oz warm to hot water (not boiling)
1 tbs honey

It's a bit tart, but after a few sips you get used to it. Taking it in the morning and evening/night is a good way to go. When I started, I noticed I was more "regular" after a day or two of it. My mom also tried it when she was having digestive/stomach trouble. Made it better after one cup. So there are some other benefits, though it's not a cure-all like ohmai said. If you want to read some more about it, you can go to earthclinic.com. Though take their info with a grain of salt. Not sure how accurate things are, naturally.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #6  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

My sister has done the apple cider thing and recommends it. She says the ACV with the mother is best too. She said the vinegar kills wild yeasts in the digestive tract and that it totally got her over her sugar/refined carb cravings (since yeast eats sugar).

My take on it is that vinegar is good for you and this is one "diet gimmick" or fad or whatever you want to call it that isn't being touted because it's making the pharmaceutical industry a bunch of money, and it's not going to have the FDA deeming it dangerous to your health. It's also very cheap. So if you're curious, why not give it a try? As far as I know, apple cider isn't addictive either.
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:35 AM   #7  

For some of the reasons above it is great for you. Every day I put a spoon of apple cider vinegar with a drop of honey and some water in one of those little gargle paper Dixie cups and drink it down.

Most days I don't add in honey, just the water and ACV. Straight ACV is too harsh going down. You get used to the taste and it really works to help kill germs. I am rarely sick since I started using it 2 yrs ago. The aid in my classroom is the same. She uses it everyday and rarely, if ever, is sick. Between us we were sick maybe 3 times the last 2 years and that is working with kids all day.

You can always use it in dressing or on vegetables. There is no rule saying to have it as a drink. I would say to check and be sure to get the unpasteurized organic, unfiltered with the chunks floating around in it. The clear pasteurized one is no good. It is steamed to get rid of the floaters and kills all the nutrients and good stuff.

The one time I got sick this year I had bad pink eye and have never had it in my entire life. I didn't use meds, I just used ACV on a q-tip and put in right in my eye a few times a day. I was completely better in 2 days and my niece and many students in my class still had it and were using eye drops from the doctor.

I highly recommend it.
sidrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 92kg/85kg/65kg

I never tried the apple cider vinegar, but my mum has been taking it for years, first thing in the morning with hot water and a little honey. She swears it keeps her healthy and her stomach working well! And she is super healthy, thin, and very fit.... it certainly hasnt hurt! Maybe I will start now too :-)
suzyjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #9  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I LOVE apple cider vinegar. I have for years. Sometimes I get the urge to have a half-glass of pure ACV. My salad dressing of choice is straight ACV without oil. Spinach (cooked or raw) needs vinegar or I'm unhappy. I'm a vinegar junkie.

I do go though phases where I prefer sweet over sour though and forgo vinegar for a few months, then go back to it for a few months...

With that said though, it has NEVER... had a real effect on me, on my weight, on how I feel. Nothing. Perhaps it is because I have too much (that much acid can't be good for you!)

If something sounds too good to be true... well, it probably is. Don't rely on the tasty, delicious vinegar... (I need to go eat a salad now! *drool*)
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #10  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I've heard of it for weightloss but I'm not sure. I definitely have used it for sore throats in my household. It takes care of them fast, apparently it gets rid of strep by killing the bacteria, it seemed to have worked on my son, so its a staple in my home.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote