South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Working out with the Wii

We bought a Wii, and I am considering getting the Wii fit. We have the usual games - bowling, tennis, ping pong, I think maybe we have boxing too.

Please share with me the workouts you do on the Wii and also the Wii fit. Do I really need the Wii fit? I am particularly interested in doing yoga. Thanks in advance!
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

My Wii is probably really annoyed with me because I stopped using it when the weather got nicer

It really depends on what you are used to and what you are hoping for. Fit is a lot better than sitting and staring at a screen, it does get you moving and it's fun. I imagine it's a fun family game too. I don't think it's a great workout if you are looking for more intensity and the yoga doesn't impress me. However using the yoga and strength to get going in the mornings was a nice start to the day in the winter.

For a little more sweat I really love EA Active workouts and more workouts. I've also heard that the Gold's Gym is a serious workout if you like kickboxing. I haven't seen great reviews of any yoga games sadly.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I enjoy working out with my Wii Fit Plus, and I change up my routines often to help avoid getting bored. I especially love to use the Free Run while I'm on my exercise bike, although I have to hold the remote in my hand and wave it in order for it to register my speed and distance. I enjoy the step aerobics, too, and the strength building workouts.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Wii Fit is really fun, but honestly I don't find it the best workout. I get my heart going much better with 30 Day Shred (Jillian Michaels DVD) - and in less time too. The games I like on Wii Fit are the free run/bike, step aerobics and the hula hoop.

I recently got Just Dance for the Wii and that is also really fun. It doesn't even feel like working out because it's dancing.
ChelseaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/195/155

Height: 5' 8.5"

I have a wii fit plus, and I'd have to agree with what people said above. If you are approaching exercise from a very sedentary point of view, it might work well for you though. A light workout might seem heavier to me than to most people, and in any case it is better than nothing. Plus it is fun. I am planning on trying bike or free step as a way to ease myself into exercise. Question for me really is just a matter of when.
Jarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #6  
Be happy.

I haven't been using my wii fit as much since the weather's been nicer either.
I love the aerobic things - the island run, advanced step, etc but it's the strength exercise routines that really keep me coming back.

I am kind of a control freak so most of the time I set my own (I've got several different lists that I use so I don't have to waste time figuring out a new one each day. I usually program in the next day's routine when I finish today's.) You can just say how many minutes you want to work and let the wii choose your routine if you prefer. I know what I need to work most on though, so I like to set my own.

I can get a better aerobic workout walking or biking than using the wii fit but as far as toning goes I do a lot more and push myself a lot harder with the wii fit plus routines than I ever did with exercise videos, because of the feedback.

Last edited by Heidi58; 06-03-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I have several Wii excercise programs-I won't call them games because face it-they aren't that much fun.

Gold's Gym-not bad, predominately boxing with just a smidgen of other exercises

My Fitness Coach is pretty good-it's basically an unlimited number of exercise videos and very seldom do you repeat the exact same exercises, you can choose amount to time you want to work out, what other exersice equipment you have and what area you'd like to target. Cons: it's difficult to get it to progress to more challenging exercises, but you can manually up the intensity.

Wii fit and Wii fit plus-both ok if you haven't really gotten into an exercise routine yet, some of the games are interesting. I don't think the Wii fit plus really added that much to the program. You can combine several exercises to get a longer workout but I haven't found where you can choose which exercises you want to add to your workout. and there are a few things I just haven't gotten the hang of yet-like skateboarding.

I borrowed Julian Michael's 2009 one-it was horrible. Don't waste your money.

Just Dance is fun. But you have to stop and chose the next song, it would be nice it just would got all through. It has a wide variety of songs-oldies and current. The problem is it doesn't really catch all your moves, even if you think you are doing it right, it will give you x's for the move. But it's still fun.

Last edited by sarahyu; 06-04-2010 at 10:19 AM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote