Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default MUFAs - Anyone familar?

Is anyone familiar with MUFAs? I guess their things like avocados, olives, olive oils and other oils, nuts, dark chocolate. They are supposed to help reduce belly fat. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them and do you need to incorporate them into every meal or just some meals. Those things are pretty caloric and it'd probably be pretty hard to incorporate them into every meal, but maybe it's something I could think about when I start maintenance. I have a good pad of belly pudge that I really want to shrink and I'm just looking for ideas. From what I understand they only way to do it is diet and cardio and I'm already doing a ton of cardio (and 2xs/wk weight training) and I do calorie count so I need other ideas to help in this area. I'm only about 10-15lbs away from my goal and I'm not positive it's all going to come from my belly, but boy that would be nice. It might though, there really isn't anywhere left for it to come from...
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Are you talking about the Belly Fat diet from Prevention? That is mediterranean style and around 1600 calories. MUFA item is in every meal. I read the books from the library a few months ago. The idea was doable enough, but the recipes weren't esp exciting to me.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-02-2010 at 10:23 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

They are called monounsaturated fats. Considered a healthy fat. You don't really need to buy a book to learn how to use these fats in your diet. Just give it a google and incorporate themas you see fit. Really, just using olive oil in dressings or in pans when cooking counts as a MUFA. I use olive oil for everything, even baking.
Supposedly, the best benefits of these foods do come from eating a serving of one at every meal.
However, I think just upping your strength training will really help to tone you up in those areas as you get closer to your goal.
LisaElevated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Hmmm...I looked into to them a little bit on google and it looks like I'm using quite a few of them in the recommended fashion quite frequently, so it doesn't sound too much like I'll see much benefit in the belly fat area from increasing them to every meal. I'm probably getting them in about 2 meals and sometimes in snacks. I guess I'll just stick to it, try to really make my strength training count and keep my fingers crossed that the last 10-15 are primarily from my belly.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
They are called monounsaturated fats.
Thank goodness for this definition. All day I was staring at the title of this post, debating whether to click on it & read it or not, and all Icould think of was an obscenity that the late comedian Richard Pryor used to use when addressing a man or speaking of people in general: "Hey you Mufas!" (Probably it was "Mofos" but the two sound awfully similar.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote