Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #106  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Bama Girl, plateaus are the worst!

You mentioned that you're working out 30mins every day. Could you switch that up to 50 mins (or even 60) 5x/week? Here's why I ask... (warning: math to follow).

Let's assume you burn 75 calories/10 minutes (a reasonable estimate I think for aerobic activity).

If you work out 30 mins/day you burn 225/workout. Do that 7 days/week, you burn 1575 calories per week.

Now, if you work out for 50 mins, you burn 375 calories/workout. Do that 5x/week, you've burned 1875. And you get two rest days.

If you work out for 60 minutes/day, 5 days/week, you're up to 2,250. And you've still got two rest days!

Of course, this might not work for you if you have to squeeze your workout in during a lunch break or before school/work, etc. Or maybe you can do a longer workout only a couple days a week. But I tell myself that every 10 minutes I add will yield tangible results.

A lot of people believe strictly in "calories in, calories out," and that it's numbers, pure and simple. Many others will swear there are ways around a purely numbers approach (increasing protein and decreasing carbs, for example). I believe that the loooonger you move your body, the better. By which I mean, the difference between 30 mins and 60 mins is more than 30 mins. I know, that doesn't make sense... but I like it.

I also believe that switching things up, like trying a new form of exercise, can help bust a plateau, if only because you're working a new muscle group.

Lastly, I strongly believe in at least one recovery day. I do two because I'm doing lots of running and if I don't rest my tendonitis will recur. But please consider giving your body one day to regroup. You can still do a nice easy walk, and I usually do some pushups or planks on my day off. But I give my big muscles a little break.

Take this with a grain of salt -- I'm no pro! But I read a lot.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #107  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

I think that's a pretty good idea, actually. I work out after work, so I have plenty of time to increase my workout times. And I don't have to do the same thing for 50 minutes-- I can change it up. Thanks!
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #108  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama girl View Post
I think that's a pretty good idea, actually. I work out after work, so I have plenty of time to increase my workout times. And I don't have to do the same thing for 50 minutes-- I can change it up. Thanks!
You could also increase your intensity instead of your time, go faster, do inclines, intervals....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #109  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

bamagirl, I feel you. I've been playing with the same pound for 26 days now. Up one, down one. I've been following fat smash, which helped me get through two plateaus, but I've decided to switch it up. I'm going back to low-carb for a few weeks - I've been eating a lot of brown rice and beans and oatmeal, so I'm switching to egg whites, veggie sausage, and grilled chicken salads. Hopefully 2 weeks will finally help me get below 130!

I also just added in Jillian's 30Day Shred in addition to my gym workouts.

In addition to changing your exercise as suggsted above, think about calorie cycling and switching up what you eat. I'm one of those who doesn't think it's as simple as calories in, calories out. And I also find that if I'm not getting results, I get sloppy. Good luck!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #110  
I will never give up.

Thanks for all the info and support, ladies! How is everyone doing in this last week of May?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #111  
Grandma on the Go!

S/C/G: 143/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning,
I have most of the junk food cleared out from the party - slowly getting back on track. Scale is back on 128 this morning - which today I was very happy to see again, after being up for 2 days. Weather is moving in so I have the big sinus head this morning. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

I am ready for June! How about you?
danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #112  

I have been at exactly 127.8 for three days! How strange is that? To not move even a tenth of a pound? Boy, if I were .8 lower, I'd say I had this maintenance thing nailed!

So I mixed it up a little this morning -- ran 6.5 miles at a faster-than-6 mph pace. I usually go 4.5 or 5 miles at a slower pace. I also wasn't pushing the stroller this morning, so that makes it a lot easier to pick up the pace. My husband took all three kids to see his family this weekend so I have the house all to myself until Monday! Glorious! I love my kids but they are 24/7, especially my little guy who will 17 months old this week. It's a tough age. But I have to admit it was hard to see them go.

Now I am off to the Farmer's Market to stock up on good healthy stuff for the weekend. I have a long list of home and garden projects to do, but I'm not committed to finishing them all. My goal is to have LOTS of downtime this weekend! I would, however, like to stay on-plan.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Amy
Old 05-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #113  

Hi ladies,

Sorry for the back-to-back postings but I have something exciting to share: GOAL!!!

Weighed myself three times just to be sure... moved the scale around... yep! 127 even. (and 126.8 once).

And it is all thanks to coming here, learning calorie counting, and getting support. So THANK YOU!

I'm off for a long walk with a friend I haven't seen in, oh, 10 pounds. I wonder if she'll notice?

Happy Memorial Day to my fellow Americans. Enjoy your day off and your cookouts!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #114  
Eternally 2 pounds away..

S/C/G: 135/ticker/120

Height: 5'5"

Congrats! I am so happy for you

I hope you have a nice long weekend, we don't celebrate Memorial Day here but we have a May long weekend so I will be thinking about my American cousins
DoraUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Nice reading everyone's efforts and gaining support just from being amongst a bunch of folks all working towards the same goal. I've got myself on a 105 day plan for the summer to lose 15 pounds. I'm back to calorie counting as it's my best motivator and keeps me on track. I didn't berate myself with last week's pizza slices but it remindes me that I blew what was a perfect day for no reason.

I've taken a nine month break from my huge weight loss effort of last year. This time around I can't do anything high impact and I can't do anything at all like a lunge. My knees are shot. So, I have to basically be even more vigilant to calorie counting, life-style exercise (commuting by bike with the kids, relaxing by walking, urging my hubby to consider buying a bike or joining together for contra or square dancing as a date), and doing at least four times a week official aerobic workouts. I have to rigidly do little things when I used to do huge, major, all-encompassing, (and damaging) exercise to guarantee weight loss. This may be the best thing that happened to me because I'm very committed to losing these last 15 pounds and I can't do last years ridiculous intensity levels to achieve it.

We're joining a family for Memorial Day picnicing tomorrow. Can't wait. The family is just as committed to healthy living as we are--and they're awesome fun.

Hope everyone who gets this holiday (sorry overseas 3FC friends) enjoys.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #116  
Grandma on the Go!

S/C/G: 143/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Just hanging in there by a thread. Hope to have a good day. Habits are hard to break. But I will keep trying....
danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #117  
I will never give up.

It's June! Does it matter who starts the new chat thread?