Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default I did the run!!!!!! :D

I got to do the run! I sometimes sell fresh water shrimp for aquariums and I had a lady come over to buy a few and she saw my other fish and had to have some. So the long and the short of it is I made enough money to be able to enter the run

I decided to go, even without anyone else there, partly because of the great support I received here from you guys You can't believe how glad I am I've found this site. I did end up meeting someone there who is doing the same online Canadian challange I am... I hadn't heard from her so I thought she didn't want to meet up but it turns out she had been sick but was wanting to run anyway.

And can you believe... in typical Canadian fashion, it SNOWED!!!! Yes it snowed. Big wet flakes that melted as soon as it hit the ground, this is not typical Canadian weather for the end of May (that doesn't mean it hasn't happened before though). I've never ran outside before, I wore many layers and was very glad I did. I wasn't sure how I would do but decided my "dream" goal would be to finish in under 45 minutes (I've only just reached week 6 of the couch 2 5k program). I managed to run for the first 2.5k (almost 3) without stopping, then I alternated walking and running. You guys were totally right, there were people cheering all along the way and it didn't matter if they didn't know me... several of the volunteers would look directly at you as you passed and say things like "You're doing great!" "Keep it up!" and all the other stuff. One older gentleman looked at me and said "You look even better coming up the hill!" (only a slight hill) although by this time I was walking it still made me laugh.

Towards the finish line I was walking again, I ran across the finish but if I had realized how close I was I would have started running sooner. They had the cheerleaders of our local football team stationed just before the finish, as everyone was coming in they were calling out "Sprint!" so I did and as I crossed the finish line I was amazed I was able to and I actually wondered "Where is this energy coming from???". Then I realized it must have been from the people cheering, I feel some of it was for me, even if they didn't actually know me. I was there and that was what mattered.

I really have to thank you guys... a big part of the reason I wanted to do this run is because the 5k was a fun run. That means there were people of all ages and abilities, I really feel I fit in. My new friend left me in the dust early on in the run but that was ok, I knew she would, she's just finished the program. She ended up finishing with a really good time of 33 minutes and I'm very happy for her. I ended up finishing with a time that really pleased me as well... 40 mintues Not bad, I think, for my first 5k I did run more then I walked and it was my first time running outside in public.

I went to visit my Mom after and she told me she was really proud of me, it made me feel better. I did something totally out of character for me... after the run I was checking out the booths set up and found that our local paper had one where you could have your picture taken and printed out on photo paper in a mock front page news type format that talked about the run. I stood in line and had my picture taken, all by myself. Just me. A few years ago I wouldn't have even considered doing the run let alone having a picture done to remember it by! I look horrible in the picture but I'm smiling
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #2  
Workin' It

Fantastic! Congratulations, that is a great time!

I love that burst of energy from people cheering.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #3  

Awesome!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #4  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

I'm so excited and proud of you! Good Job!!!
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #5  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I'm so very proud of you! That is a major victory...and I look forward to hearing about more of the 5k runs you do in the future.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #6  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

What an inspiring story! Congratulations!

EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #7  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

OMG I'm so glad you did it!!! See, I told you it would be great ! I knew if you just got there you'd feel amazing. Finishing it such a nice feeling isn't it?

Doing something out of character like that is really big for your self esteem. You're showing yourself that you can do things that you're not only scared of, but unsure whether or not you can. You should be so proud of yourself
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

WOOOHOOO!!! I am so glad!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #9  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Congratulations!! I don't think I posted to your first thread about the race, but I read it. This is a great ending, and I'm very happy that you were able to participate!
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #11  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 172/160/135

Height: 5'7

yay!! I read your original post but never commented. That is great !! Congratulations!!
nicholeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #12  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Thank you EVERYONE!!!!!! I did it and I got a picture to prove it!

I'm hoping to be able to shave a few minutes off of my time, my ultimate goal is to do a 5k in August in 30 minutes. Eek! Not sure if I'll get there but this one went better then expected so keep your fingers crossed! This gives me a lot of incentive to get running (as soon as my legs recover!).

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 05-31-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Told ya so
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #14  
Next mini-goal 184

S/C/G: 204/189/155

Height: 5' 7"

I read your first post where you were trying to decide to do the run or not. I really wanted to tell you to go for it, but I totally understood your reasons for maybe not doing the race. I am so glad you did it! I am glad you had a good experience & your time was really great for your first 5K. Congrats!

Dee

Last edited by Im On A Boat; 05-31-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Im On A Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #15  

Height: 5'11

Im so glad you decided to run!!! I told you it would be great! I would love to see your pic too
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote