South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #1  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Question What does everyone do for veggies?

Hi everyone!!

I discovered I was preggo a few weeks ago, and my doctor suggested I try the SBD due to high blood pressure and excess weight, so I have read the book and I'm really excited to start tomorrow! I'm going to get my shopping done today, but I'm a little stuck on the veggies. You see, I am having a crazy carrot craving and I no that they are not allowed in Phase 1 at all, and only very little in phase 2, which wouldn't be so bad if I was pregnant. I am a typical "southerner" and was raised on pinto beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes etc... so I really don't know a lot about, taste or how to cook, the veggies on the list. I was just wondering if you all could through out some of your favorite veggies that you use for SBD. I am on phase 1 at the moment, but would love phase 2 ideas as well because I will be there soon. Thank you all for taking the time out to read this. Have a blessed Memorial Day! Best wishes to you all!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

I eat way more now than ever before! My favorite way to cook them is roasting. I think they all taste better that way. Go to the recipe section and just spend some time in there. I can personally recommend the green bean fries and Jenn's best broccoli. I know lots of SBers make salads loaded with stuff but that doesn't do much for me personally. I do like sliced colored peppers though.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #3  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

I'm seriously hooked on veggies with my scrambled eggs at breakfast! Raw veggies are really good dipped in hummus. I buy the Sabra brand in individual cups. That makes it easy to toss one in my lunchbag for an afternoon snack.

Really, the best thing to do is find a recipe that appeals to you and go for it!! I've discovered that my family and I really like eggplant. My son likes it with tomatoes.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

I am a huge fan of veggie soups... I can make up a big batch of veggie soup and take it for my lunch all week long... especially love on rainy days, gives you a bit of comfort.

Also, I have found cauliflower very versitile... if you check out the recipe section there are a handful of mock potato recipes that use cauliflower instead.
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I love all my vegetables either roasted or grilled. It really does bring out the flavor of the vegetable and makes them taste wonderful. I preheat my oven to 425*, lightly spritz the vegetables with olive oil and a salt-free seasoning of your choice (I use Spike's), and roast them for anywhere from 20 minutes or more, depending on the thickness and the degree of done that you like.
Do the same technique for grilling. I especially love zucchini, red peppers, or portobello mushrooms grilled, then sprinkled with feta cheese.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #6  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

WOW!!! All really great suggestions and I really appreciate them!!! Thank you for telling me how to roast them cottage!! Thanks everyone, I'm really excited to get started and very greatful for everyones help!!! Enjoy your Sunday!!!!!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I am a veggie addict! I have been knowing to eat 15 cups of veggies a day!

Uhm, my favs? Cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, green beans - steamed with a little salt, sometimes with butter. Cucumber sliced with salt and pepper. Roasted veggies with cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, brussels sprout's, toss in olive oil and throw in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Celery with peanut butter or even cheese. Peppers and mushrooms sliced with some dip.

The only salad I love? Spinach salad with nuts and strawberries (phase 2 friendly).

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #8  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I am totally in love with some sugar snap peas right now.Yum! I took some of those and some grape tomatoes, tossed with a little bit of oil based dressing, and sprinkled with feta. Yum, yum!

Another favorite is zucchini. If you are craving something deep fried, this hits it for me. Slice the zucchini into thin rondelles. Place in a hot frypan with a T oil. Cook until browned and crisp-ish. Serve with a tad of 3 cheese ranch for a dip. There is something about the oil and the dressing that makes this really rich (even with the tiny bit of oil) and really satisfying .

We also take broccoli, cauli, zucchini, mushrooms, etc and put them in a foil pouch with a sprinkle of seasoning and a small bit of oil. Yum and no dishes!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/195/155

Height: 5' 8.5"

I"m not a veggie sort of gal. I like them, I just never seem to want to eat them. (weird that lol)
One thing that has helped me is to have some V8 on hand. Any time I think I'm missing out on the veggie count, I just chug a glass and I don't have to worry about it anymore. If you're pregnant, you might want to be sure to get low sodium.

Also, if you're not the greatest at cooking veggies, just get the frozen variety and pop them into the microwave. Can't get much easier than that. I like brussle sprouts and broccoli a lot, if they've got too strong of a flavor for you, try putting lemon juice when you cook them. It helps a bit.
Jarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Hey, if you're pregnant, you shouldn't be on Phase I, but should start SB in Phase II! I love the Crack Slaw recipe, add lots of veggies in the Taco Bake. I roast a lot of my veggies, but also saute in a little olive oil stuff like onions, mushrooms, garlic, etc. We also steam veggies a lot, like broccoli & cauliflower and sprinkle them with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Yum!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 212/195/155

Height: 5' 8.5"

Good point about the phase II murphmitch! I will second that (I have 5 kids, so I've been there). You have to remember that you aren't on South Beach for weight loss. You have to eat healthy for your baby too!
Jarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #12  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Great suggestions so far! The only one I thought to add was steamed, shredded cabbage. I often use it in place of things I might otherwise serve over rice or pasta. (the Crack Slaw that someone mentioned already is similar - but I haven't made that actual recipe yet).

Also - spaghetti squash. I didn't realize how much I loved it. It is definitely different than pasta, but has a similar shape and I love it with pasta-type dishes like tomato sauces & mozzarella/parmesan cheese.

Oh yeah - don't go on Phase 1 if you are pregnant. Plus even if you were on Phase 1, pinto beans are great. I have them almost every day. Enjoy your sweet potatoes and carrots...

Best of luck with your dietary changes and with your pregnancy!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #13  
South Beach!

S/C/G: 197/186/130

Height: 4'11

I did SB during my pregnancy, and yes, agreed w/everyone--go to Phase II :-)
kcchubbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote