South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #1  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Default Phase 2 speedbumps

So, today was day 3 of P2. For the first time since starting, I have had cravings, am retaining water big time and UP weight.

Now, I'm keeping the gain in perspective since I know I did not gain fat or injest too many calories from my diet, plus the fact that my fingers felt so swollen last night I actually took off my rings. I havent had to do that in months.

After breakkie I had cravings. Here's what I had:
1/2 c cottage cheese
about the same cherry silhouette
about 1/4 c fiber 1 original...?

I'm thinking its the cherry silhouette. But it was soooooo good after being on plain for 2 weeks. Son't get me wrong I like plain but I LOVE cherries and the new silhouette is chock full of them.

Has anyone else had problems with craving in p2? Or weight gain?

Another explanation for the gain, possibly bc I'm back incorporating starchy carbs? I know carbs make me hold onto water moreso than protein and fat.. IDK but maybe I should hide the scale. Its so tempting to weigh in everyday but I can see how this'll get counterproductive..

Any help appreciated!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

What is cherry silhouette and how much did you have? Did you have other fruits and grains or just this and the Fiber 1? What were the first 2 days food plans?

One of the reasons a lot of people follow the Phase 1.5 model is that introducing just one fruit or grain at a time does help you determine what foods you are more sensitive to. Could be the food, the combination, time of day, etc. If you are having cravings it's time to determine what caused them so you can modify your eating. Look at the cravings as a learning opportunity to help create the perfect lifelong eating plan for you

ETA - okay, found your food plans for the last two days. It could just be easing in with just one fruit or grain per day at first might help. Were the mandarin oranges in juice? Any syrup could cause problems.

Last edited by CyndiM; 05-28-2010 at 09:07 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #3  

Hi Cyndi!
Silhouette is yoplait sugar free fat free yogurt, I had about 1/2 a cup. The fiber 1 was the only starch of the day.

Yestreday yes the mandarins were in light syrup but ds drank all the syrup first then was wasting the oranges so I just ate them dry. Subsequent to that yesterday I was not snackey so I'm not sure.

I'm afraid! I get monster cravings and sometimes I have a big Can't- Do attitude though I'm trying to change my mentality, spending a lot of time in maintainers as well for tips and motivation. Great, great tips there!

I think I'm gonna go real scarce with the grain. And no sweet tasting fruit, just apples and berries.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Ah, thanks for the answer The oranges might have caused a problem even though you had them yesterday. I'd be surprised if that small amount of cherry yogurt was a problem but we are all different. Keep an eye on the amount of sf sweeteners too because that can cause problems for some people.

I have a terrible time with cravings, usually in the late afternoon. I've had to really monitor what I eat and when to figure out what causes problems for me. I was also an avid reader of the maintainer forum from day 1. It really helps with long term planning. You can do this, just view it as an uncomfortable learning experience and move on

Last edited by CyndiM; 05-28-2010 at 09:22 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #5  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Are you sure the Yoplait is sugar free? I haven't been able to find any sugar free Yoplait in my grocery store for quite a while. You might want to double check the ingredients list.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #6  

yep, totally
my mistake though, its made by Danone:
http://www.silhouetteandme.ca/en/pro...uette0/cherry/

The one by Yoplait is called Source, which is also good. I live in Canada though so YMMV. But everytime I've been to the States you guys have had a kick butt assortment of yogurt, we don't get the ones in pots with flavors like boston cream pie or strawberry cheesecake
Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #7  

Yeah, but all of those have high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient, even though they are labeled as light.

I'll have to watch for the Danone yogurt. I don't remember seeing it in the supermarket. They do have the ingredients online at their website, and I noticed that the third ingredient is modified corn starch. If you keep having problems, you might watch for that in your foods. It's something that I'm trying to avoid, but I'm honestly not sure if it is South Beach legal or not.

Last edited by fcmonroe; 05-29-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: maintaining

For me, the more things I add, even if they are perfectly acceptable on the plan, the more likely I am to have cravings, overeat, stall my loss.

For me this time (my third on SB), I added back much more slowly. And for me it worked NOT to add back early on the things I really wanted. Because I suspected I would crave or overeat. I also found it helped me to add things late in the day because if I did have those feelings they were short-lived by bedtime and gone by morning.

IMO, the weight gain is not a big deal at your current point in the diet... but the cravings might only get worse. It really is about trial and error and figuring out what you can and can't eat. Each of us is different. Good luck!

BTW - I have been doing this for months and still struggle with the same issues as you. Just this past week I cut out grains again for a while. For me that makes a huge difference.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #9  

Girls- thank you so much for your input.
Fcmonroe- I cannot belive they put HFCS in there? I thought they were supposed to be healthy? So none of those delicious sounding flavors are sweetened with splenda or aspartame? bummer. I've never tried it, but when I go to the grocery store in the states its seems as if everyone's going with Danone light and fit? We don't have it in Cda though it could be the same concoction as silhouette. I notice many times the companies will name the exact same item something different there.

Waisting time-that is good to know its always a tinker here and there and to keep my eyes wide open and adjust as I go. I know what you mean about adding in favorite foods even if they are legal. For example most eating plans allow grapes but I cannot eat them, if I do I will have 5lbs of them and then go looking for another hit. Same with plain cherries (like a bowl of them). Its hard for me to maintain self control with those items.

So, I had the same breakkie today to see if it was something in that particular mix that was causing my problems, or just my state of mind. So far, about 1.5h later, I am still satisfied. So, I think it was just my stated of mind. Head hunger, for whatever reason. Its just that I normally struggle with head hunger later in the day, not in the AM.
Whatever. LOL
Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post

Waisting time-that is good to know its always a tinker here and there and to keep my eyes wide open and adjust as I go. I know what you mean about adding in favorite foods even if they are legal. For example most eating plans allow grapes but I cannot eat them, if I do I will have 5lbs of them and then go looking for another hit. Same with plain cherries (like a bowl of them). Its hard for me to maintain self control with those items.

So, I had the same breakkie today to see if it was something in that particular mix that was causing my problems, or just my state of mind. So far, about 1.5h later, I am still satisfied. So, I think it was just my stated of mind. Head hunger, for whatever reason. Its just that I normally struggle with head hunger later in the day, not in the AM.
Whatever. LOL
Oh I am the same with cherries! I have seen then on my last few trips to the store and was glad they did not look that great yet. I think I may just avoid them this season. I'd rather control my eating than have yummy cherries right now. Life is about trade-offs, I guess. BTW - I usually struggle with head hunger later in the day too. Sigh.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #11  

Natalia, they pu BOTH artificial sweeteners and HFCS in. Here's an ingredient list from a yoplait light yogurt. I found this online, but I know it's accurate.

Cultured pasteurized grade A nonfat mill, high fructose corn syrup, peaches, modified corn starch, whey protein concentrate, kosher gelatin, natural flavor, citric acid, tricalcium phosphate, *aspartame, potassium sorbate added to maintain freshness, colored with annatto extract, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D

I'm not sure when they started this insanity. I had sent my husband to the grocery to buy flavored yogurt with no sugar or corn syrup and he came back empty handed, saying there was none!! I then read the labels of the yogurt I had been buying and saw the corn syrup. I don't get it myself. Why both? It seems like overkill to me. Now I stick with unsweetened plain Greek yogurt and add my own no sugar added preserves, jelly, or syrup. I like having more control over the ingredients.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I only buy plain fat free Greek yogurt in a large container & flavor it myself. I couldn't find anything SB compatible in small containers. Added starches, sugars, etc!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #13  

that is absolutely insane!! Why put in HFCS? geez most people would even rather they put in table sugar than hfcs. And , usually you guys have wayyyyy more choice than us in Canada. although I did notice your selection of soymilk was disgustging. or should I say nonexistant. And when I asked a grocery clerk about it (i thought maybe it was in a different dept or I wasn't looking in the right area) they looked at me like I asked for pickled pig's feet. Sigh. I finally found one lonely litre of plain . No vanilla or anything else. I guess I was expecting more as at disneyworld they had it everywhere, in vanilla and chocolate even in individual containers at the resorts. It was great.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #14  

Looks like at Danone's website (spelled Dannon in the US- another oddity) they have a light & fit called carb control or something, it has no sugar or hfcs. Neither does the regular light and fit, but the regular light and fit has fructose (added fruit sugar).
http://www.dannon.com/ourproducts.aspx

i really fail to understand (and am totally shocked) about your lack of options for sugar free yogurt!! The only thing I can suggest is to bring it to the companies attention, and if they see that the only sugar free option is flying off the shelves, they will respond accordingly. And you know what, I remember seeing a biggest loser contestant having a container of Silhouette . I wonder how they got it? Here in Canada there is a huge selection.

Last edited by Natalia; 05-30-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #15  

Right now I'm happier using the Greek yogurt and adding my own flavorings. The way they change ingredients on the other yogurt is just very misleading.