General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 AM   #1  
motivated

S/C/G: 164/159/130

Height: 5'4

Question Cabbage Soup Diet

Has anyone tried this? Does it really work? Is it worth it by the end of the week?
Maryd4love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 AM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It works... but it mostly just flushes out water weight. I do it every once and a while when I feel bogged down by processed crap... it's probably not the healthiest thing to do and I know that... You could add a cup of bran and some skim milk in the mornings to make it more balanced. I usually lose about 7lbs and gain 5 of them back so it evens out to my average weekly loss anyhow.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

I tried it years ago... it works if all you want to do is lose weight temporarily because you are simply not eating a healthful diet. It's totally unhealthy and another "fad" diet.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

While I don't do the soup diets, I do make very low calorie soups quite often. I "googled" "zero point soups", and found a bunch of soup recipes from Weight Watcher's members that were very low calorie broth and veggie soups. My favorite is tomato juice or V-8 mixed half and half with chicken broth, with tons of veggies thrown in to simmer til done. For me, it's the easiest way to get in all of my veggie servings. I have learned though, that if I'm going to have more than one bowl in a day, I have to drink extra water. Although they're low in caloire, the soups can be high in sodium.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

It isn't a balanced diet at all-and has been a fad diet that has been circulating around for eons. The soup itself isn't unhealthy-a certain vegetable soup-but basically, the food combinations in the plan are just plain strange-and are very unbalanced. Eating nothing but the soup and one particular fruit per day...and the next day eating nothing but the soup and another single item or two...and that sort of thing.

It is meant to flush out "water" in your system-not fat. You cannot lose 10 pounds of fat in one week. It is medically impossible.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

It will make you lose "scale weight" as in...you will see a few pounds of the scale-but it will NOT be fat. It will be mostly water, and then some muscle as well (which you want to keep!) because of the lack of protein.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #7  
hara hachi bu

I think I remember my mom doing this forever ago. I don't remember if it worked or not - probably did in the capacity that's been described by other posters - but I recall really liking the soup.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 145/145/105

Height: 5'1

I've been thinking about trying this, supplementing it with lentils so I don't lose too much protein.
mushroom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 AM   #9  

I've tried it but couldn't go for longer than a week. It causes temporary weight loss and when I started to eat again I gained 5 pounds back (I lost 7 pounds). I wouldn't recommend it unless you are just looking to lose a little weight to fit into a dress or something for a special event (and don't mind going back to your regular weight afterwards).
mexiandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

I tried it years ago. I did lose about 15 pounds over a month but then as soon as I went off of it, i gained it all back and then some. Still to this day, I cannot eat cabbage of any kind. It brings back horrible horrible memories. I would not suggest it. It gives me chills just thinking about it.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

The one I know about seems pretty decent (you don't ONLY eat soup) and you only do it a week.
VeggieGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote