Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/175/130

Exclamation He needs the calories, but I don't

My wonderful, amazing fiance has kidney disease, and is on the list for a transplant. Now he is doing peritineal dialysis, which make him lose wieght like crazy. Most of it is water weight, but he's been so sick that he went down to 105lbs. Needless to say he needs to eat a ton of calories to bring up his weight.

So obviously this poses the problem of cooking higher calorie food for him, and still managing to eat healthy myself.

I'm making him things like lasagna with whole milk ricotta, and milkshakes with carnation breakfast in them. It's sooo tempting to eat these things too. Does anyone have this problem? Maybe you have kids who want sweets? How do you kick the cravings?!?!
drop50lbsforwedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

My husband and son eat much differently than I do and sometimes is means making 3 meals! I don't have any miracle advice other than you just have to do it. Make sure whatever you make for yourself is something on your plan that you really enjoy and will satisfy you. Another option would be to compromise and make something in the middle of the road and you just eat less than your fiancé. I've started to do this with my DH and it works well, I have yet to find enough meals to cover all the days and I usually don't like the really small portions I have to do to make it work but some of the dishes work well. Or I'll use the same main ingrediants and make a doctored version for myself and a normal version for DH.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

That's hard, not just making all this food, but having to see him so ill and worry!

Can you make something that's high calorie for him that you really don't like? For example, if it were me, I hate pork, so I'd make something with that, and then I wouldn't be tempted at all.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Be sure to check with his kidney doctor about any diet restrictions. Just to be on the safe side.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/175/130

Thanks you so much for the advice. Paris, the only problem with your idea is he's a super picky eater, and well, I'm not. I like the idea of making the same meal, but making to batches, one more high calorie than the other, thanks ncuneo.

One thing I've tried is buying the lean cuisene version of whatever I'm making for him. It seems to work, but sometime lean cuisenes are so bland I end up eating that, AND what I made him!
drop50lbsforwedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

make things that can be individual. A while ago we made bread pizzas (pizza ingredients on a piece of bread, I mean), and I portioned everyone's out. My husband's 'pizzas' were 250 calories apiece, mine were about 100. that way you can mix and match what you want on it. Or make sub sandwiches, another thing that's easy to do. Also make a chicken salad and give him the high calorie dressings, nuts and meats for toppings, and go lighter for yourself. Or make basic dishes, say stir fry, and have the sauces on the table for adding, that way the calories are easier to work with.

hope that helps, I don't have a sick SO, but I do have one that needs to eat way more than I do.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote