Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #1  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Getting out of my 280's with Polycystic Ovaries

For some reason I can not ge tout of my 280's! It's been driving me nuts. I hit 278 a week ago and then went right back up to 282. It's frustrating. Has anyone else had any issues with Polycystic Ovaries? I have high cholesterol and dangerously close to becoming diabetic due to my weight. My doctor, last I saw him, put me on Metformin which is suppose to help with allllll of these particular things as well as help me lose weight. I let my perscription lapse and I am too ashamed to go see my doc again because I was 275 when I last saw him. He lectures me if I don't lose or if I can so I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and not being able to lose weight due to them?
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! There's a whole bunch of us over at

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...0-support.html

Just call the office, tell them you need a refill, and for them to call it in to your pharmacy. (Have pharmacy info handy to give to receptionist/nurse person.)

You can do this tiny thing for yourself -- just a phone call.

And if you don't like this doctor's bedside manner... "fire" him and get a new one.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Hi Shelly,

I don't have PCOS, but I know that it makes weight loss more difficult. I'm just wondering what your eating plan is now? When I was looking up information about nutrition, I was interested in going on a low-GI diet, and it's good for insulin resistance and PCOS. Although you probably are already aware of it, I thought I'd throw it out there. This link is helpful. http://www.the-gi-diet.org/glycemicindexchart/

I think there's also a "chicks with challenges" message board for PCOS on this site, I'm sure they can give you a lot of great information.

As for feeling ashamed and not going to the doctor... heck, I know the feeling! But if the Metformin is going to help you lose then it's worth a little temporary discomfort. I'm sure that your doctor would rather see you be successful in your weight loss than chide you for gaining a few pounds.

Hang in there!

Last edited by djs06; 05-29-2010 at 10:52 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #4  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I've got PCOS as well. I've done WW in the past successfully, but I did it while watching carbs (only good and trying to make sure all my points weren't carbs). Then I got pregnant and gained a bunch, and then had a baby and gained some more.

Now, I'm following a Primal Diet, which is a low carb diet. I am so much happier doing this than WW. Yes, I still have to pay attention to what I'm going to eat, but it's nice because I can eat until I am full and satisfied, not until my points run out and I go over if I'm still hungry. I started at the end of March.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #5  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

I also have PCOS. With a combination of the IR Diet and some intensive exercise I lost 80#. And as soon as I stopped doing those things, I gained about half of that back, so here I am, back to doing what I know works for me.

Find a diet and workout routine that works for you (and get back on your medication.) It may be a bit more difficult for us girls with PCOS but it's NOT impossible! Good luck!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

Yes, it sucks. Being on my met and doing low sugar/carb seems to be helping.
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #7  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I have PCOS..well I have had a hysterectomy but the drs says I still have PCOS.
Yes losing weight is harder for us.
I have to be very low carb diet. Very low sugar. I use splenda.
Lots of water, limit even diet drinks.
Portion control.
Excersise...I am up to 3 miles a day
lots od disipline...I now have the power to fix my kids something and sit down and eat my salad or healthy meal.

It's hard...but just keep pushing. I get stuck at certain weights. At 202 and now at 193.
I started at 255 Jan 18th 2010

Good luck!
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

How are you doing Shelly?

I have PCOS but I don't take Met, I do take BC pills that help regulate my hormones. It may take a little experimentation. I personally follow a high carb diet but I do try to keep added sugars, refined carbs, etc out of my diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote