Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default I'm pissed I'm still "overweight"

I feel amazing, I look freaking HOT (with clothes on), but I'm still considered "overweight" and it pisses me off. Looking at me, I don't think anyone would label me as overweight at this point. But I am, I know it and I feel like I have to keep going until I'm not. I know that sounds ridiculous, and it's not just that, I want a little less belly and 10lbs should get me there, but if it wasn't for the belly and a little bit of the thighs (although I think I might be willing to accept those) and being labeled overweight, I think I'd be done. I'm not sure why I'm posting this, I guess I'm just trying to admit it and accept my body, love my body. I'm getting there, but for some reason being "overweight" is getting in the way. Society really does suck...
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Um, who is labeling you overweight? The BMI chart, which a lot of people agree is not an ideal measurement of obesity?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #3  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I've lost 101 pounds to date, and I'm STILL overweight. I remember being ecstatic when I went from 'obese' to just 'overweight.' It was a great feeling and I can't wait to get into the 'normal' category. I'm short so, I can go as low as about 125 and still be in the normal range. My goal for now is 140 and once I get there I will reassess how I feel and how I look (naked.)

I know that most of my struggles are because of my low self esteem and I need to learn to love my body. But I ended up going off plan for almost a month because I've just been in such a funk about losing 100 pounds and still looking chubby. I know that makes absolutely no sense because how am I going to continue to lose weight if I go off plan? I was letting my emotions and my bad bad habits catch back up with me. I know that this is something I will have to be conscious of for the rest of my life. I want to reach for food for comfort and then hate myself for it. It's a viscous circle, but with consistency and determination and tons of support from the wonderful people on 3fc you and I can become what we've always wanted to be and we can learn to love ourselves.

Sorry I was rambling, but I just saw so much of myself in your post and wanted to let you know you aren't alone! Feel free to PM me anytime you need to vent.

You've done so amazingly well with your weightloss. 110 pounds is nothing to sneeze at! I applaud you and all of your success so far!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Does it help at all to know that if this were 1997, you'd be in the "normal" category instead of the "overweight" category? They've changed the definitions over time. From http://health.howstuffworks.com/bmi4.htm :

Quote:
In 1998, the National Institutes of Health lowered the overweight threshold for BMI 27.8 to 25 to match international guidelines. The move added 30 million Americans who were previously in the "healthy weight" category to the "overweight" category.
BMI is arbitrary. It's really best to not pay too much attention to it.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There is no healthy way for me to not be "overweight". I've gotten there, and it was not pretty - my hair fell out, I was starving, and I had to cut back my workouts because I didn't have enough energy to complete them. If I eat a moderately-low calorie diet, do a ton of exercise, etc, I settle at just into the "overweight" range for my height. But I know it's right for *me*, so who cares what some arbitrary BMI standard says, you know?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Wow, thanks so much for starting this thread--I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'4", 156 lbs., a size 8, and I get hit on in a bikini, but I'm "overweight" by 11 lbs. WarMaiden, that is so interesting! It does make me feel a little better about my current BMI of 26.8.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

WOW. This really was the thread I need today.

This morning I was thinking to myself about my struggle to not be in the 160's. I think I look pretty good, I must be happy with how I look because for 3 years I have been unable to focus long enough to lose weight. This is the weight I have been for about half my life it seems, all through high school.

But I am still overweight. I am a size 10. I do want to be smaller, but a healthy weight (according to the BMI chart) is 130 or lower. I often wonder what I look like when I get there, but I feel okay now. My BMI is still high at around 29, but anyway...

It is nice to see I am not alone.

Last edited by sotypical; 05-28-2010 at 01:07 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #8  

I feel the same way, I feel a lot better about myself but my body fat % is still too high putting on borderline overweight. Good to see that I am not alone.
RedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #9  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

The BMI isn't the best tool to go by. Everyone has a different body shape and carries their weight differently and, therefore, will be better off at certain weights that may or may not be considered "normal" weights.

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

On other posts you've made I've posted that you have a very similar body shape to me and we wear the same sizes. Despite being overweight I now count myself as being at goal and maintaining. My GP agrees with this. Although my BMI is considered 'overweight' my waist at 31" says otherwise. My lower belly and butt is where I carry the extra. I'd say if you're happy where you are then throw the BMI chart out of the window and ignore it.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

According to my BMI I'm morbidly obese- I'm totally not buying that. I wear a size 14 jean and medium shirts and my blood work is great. Sure I agree I'm overweight- but morbidly obese? Makes it sound like I can't even walk without gasping for oxygen!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 182/156/135

Height: 5'2

I so understand. I'm 166 and while of course I'm overweight, I don't feel obese! I can hold water in my clavicles and my waist is 28 inches.
CarbsAreEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #13  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Have you ever seen this? It's a great flickr pool of different BMIs. They post heights and weights too. Some of the overweight people are athletes and others look nowhere near overweight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7736776...7602199008819/

Last edited by jennylou; 05-29-2010 at 08:39 PM.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Of course, I have a long way to go ... but my doctor recently told me he thinks maybe my goal should be 175 or 180 because of my body build. I'm not even in the "overweight" category at that point, I'm still obese according to the BMI. (Will evaluate when I get there.)
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #15  

Height: 5'6

I know exactly what you mean. I've lost 54 lbs and feel so much better, but I'm still obese according to my BMI. That does make me mad sometimes even though I know I need to lose more weight. I'm excited about reaching overweight BMI, although I'm trying to keep it in mind that BMI is not the be-all and end-all of my or anyone else's weight loss. It's just a tool.

And by the way, people are absolutely terrible at judging how tall you are and how much you weigh just by looking at you. I think with your height and weight that there's not going to be anyone who looks at you and immediately thinks you're overweight.
Button is offline   Reply With Quote