Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Water filter things??

You know those ones that go on your sink? Can anyone tell me about them?

Our water here is not so great tasting when it's plain, in tea or crystal light it's not so bad. It is very high in iron (well water, and we live on a mountain that at one time was mined for iron ore.. never did I dream that it would be in our water..lol) I have been reusing a few gallon jugs and going into town for water from the stores filtered water machine. Well it's cheap enough... 35 cents a gallon, but I am thinking that over time it would be way cheaper for a filter thing... if it will get the iron out.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #2  

We don't have much iron in our water, so I can't vouch for that.
But I have a filter that attaches under my sink to the cold water line. I bought it for around $40 at Walmart, the filters are good for 6 months and cost about $20 to replace. We have had it almost a year now, I love it. Hidden out of sight, my friend has one that attaches to the faucet and sits on the counter. I didn't like the look of it. This one was very easy to attach, did it myself in a few minutes. It only does cold water for the kitchen sink. But that is fine with me. I don't need it on the rest of the house.
aubrylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I don't know what was in my water, but I had one of those PUR filters that you attach directly to the faucet and it would get filled up in about a week. It would go from a normal water flow to just a trickle. I even called the company and they said that people in some areas had something in their water that caused this issue. They sent me coupons for a pitcher and some filters for that to use instead of the faucet one. That was fine for drinking water but I had wanted to use filtered water for cooking too.

Anyway, I don't specifically remember if it was iron that caused the issue, but you might want to call the company for whatever brand you are considering to see if it that would create any sort of problem.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I used to do Brita pitcher style, but then I wanted to use it for cooking too so I went with a PUR that attaches to the sink. They last me a while, but then my tap water was pretty decent compared to other areas.

I think that's the key thing -- what sort of water are you dealing with, and the amount of filtering that needs to happen.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I didn't mind tap water until I could smell the chlorine, it was really strong. So I bought one that attaches to your tap. The brand I have says "New Wave Enviro Products" and I bought it at an organic/health food store.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #6  

I have one that is under my sink and has it's own faucet that is next to our regular faucet. It's from RainSoft & is a charcoal filter. I love it because I only have to replace it once a year. I don't know how much it cost because it came with our water softener.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I was just told to check with the companies that do those bottled water cooler things that someone only pays 75 cents for a 5 gallon bottle... that's pretty cheap so I guess I will see what all we have around here.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #8  
Zoë's Mommy

S/C/G: 300.2/295.8/150

I have the best results with the Pur filters.

I prefer my water cooler and purified water(reverse osmosis) by the 5 gallon bottles(we use 3-4 5 gallon bottles a week)that I get from the water stores we have an abundance around here. Next up I want to get BPA free bottles purchased online to make it even better with no chances of leeching those chemicals.

I drink more water when I have a water cooler since its cold and ready so no excuses.
Zoesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #9  
Workin' It

I had a PUR filter that attached to my faucet, one filter lasted about six weeks when I was on city water. Loved it, very convenient. Mine was pretty large, extended a ways into the sink and blocked a little, but I had a small sink in my apartment. I also had to buy an adaptor to make it work as I remember. But, I really liked it a lot. The pitchers with built in filter work well too, and don't block the sink.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #10  
Zoë's Mommy

S/C/G: 300.2/295.8/150

Peanut,

Wow! That is some bad water then I'd guess. Were you using it all the time or just for drinking water and cooking? If you ran it a lot it may use up quite fast especially if your water has that much to filter. Here in Arizona I had to replace them more like monthly or every other month but in Florida I could go months on the same filter.
Zoesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #11  
300+ Chick

I use Brita picther filter for many years.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoesmama View Post
Peanut,

Wow! That is some bad water then I'd guess. Were you using it all the time or just for drinking water and cooking? If you ran it a lot it may use up quite fast especially if your water has that much to filter. Here in Arizona I had to replace them more like monthly or every other month but in Florida I could go months on the same filter.
It was a long time ago, I wish I could remember exactly what they said. It wasn't that the water was completely awful, it was some particular substance happen to react with whatever was in the filter. Whatever is inside of the faucet filter is different than the filter that goes inside the bottle, because that one worked fine. But I just can't remember what it was.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

We have a filter on our kitchen sink, and I have a Brita pitcher at work. The city where I live has terrible water, so filtering it is the only way I'll use it. We replace the filter every 6 weeks or so on the faucet, and the pitcher at work needs a new filter about once a month.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote