Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Am I just being overly sensitive?

So, I've been healthy eating for a month or so. Because of previous failed attempts, I haven't broadcasted it to everyone I know. The other day at work I mentioned it off hand to the nurse I work with. She is very opinionated and a loudmouth. I mentioned I was doing WW (because she made a comment about me eating oatmeal) and I track what I eat and all that. I mentioned that I was feeling better physically and mentally.

Since that morning, if I'm eating food, she'll holler, "How many points is that?!" I went to the microwave to get something and I left my food journal out and she grabbed it and perused it. A lot of the time she'll walk in when I'm eating, ask the pointage, and walk away mumbling, "I couldn't ever do it. Lot of foolishness."

Does that seem unappropriate to you or is it just me? Am I being sensitive since I didn't relaly want it broadcasted till I had some good results?
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I think it is inappropriate as well and you should just ignore her or tell her to shut the heck up lol
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It's not appropriate, and I'd tell her so. Going through your journal? Ridiculous. And calling it foolish is rude.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

adult bullying.
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/242/120

Height: 5'3"

I agree. This is way, way over the line. You are entirely justified in telling her to back off, and if she doesn't, that is what HR is for.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #6  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Sure, she's out of line....but she's a wee bit transparent. Consider it flattery. She's obviously taken notice on her own before you've said anything and is threatened by your new, more svelte figure. You just came down from almost 300#...and at your being tall at 5'8, down into the 220's, that means you have some new dangerous, sexier curves coming into play and at your height, you're pulling them off quite well (and you know we women notice it on other women). Some women in general are very snide and competitive when it comes to this area. Self control and beauty are socially threatening. It's power.

All you need to do is keep smiling and keep that head held way up high. Naysayers (like her) are your confirmation that you're doing something oh so right. It's their feeling of inferiority, not yours. Allow it be your fuel.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #7  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

She's completely out of line. I would avoid her if you can. I'm hoping that she isn't your supervisor. If you can't avoid her, tell her off.

And a word of advice.....I would avoid sharing anything personal with her. I'm talking about my weightloss as little as possible while I'm at work. I just don't want to deal with those kinds of comments.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I felt I had to stop a coworker from "giving me suggestions" once. I simply smoothed my scrubs over my shrinking abdomen and said "I think I'm doing OK, don't you?" In a gentle tone ...

We do all right now. We can have a nice discussion about various weight loss plans and their health aspects without steaming at each other.

Another coworker doesn't really care about me. She just wants to go on and on about how wonderful she is. I smile and nod. There's no chance for discussion there
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #9  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKelly View Post
Sure, she's out of line....but she's a wee bit transparent. Consider it flattery. She's obviously taken notice on her own before you've said anything and is threatened by your new, more svelte figure. You just came down from almost 300#...and at your being tall at 5'8, down into the 220's, that means you have some new dangerous, sexier curves coming into play and at your height, you're pulling them off quite well (and you know we women notice it on other women). Some women in general are very snide and competitive when it comes to this area. Self control and beauty are socially threatening. It's power.
No, I've not changed inches since I've started at the facility. I've only lost 10 pounds and no inches since working there. I was pretty much maintaining when I hired there because I couldn't deal with the stress of losing weight before I switch jobs. She's been seeing the same figure that I've had for a year or two. I wish I had lost an inch or two. Scrubs shrink so easily in the wash!

It's not like she's fat or anything. She doesn't seem to be struggling with her weight. I wish this had happened on a day that a girl who worked that used to do WW as moral support do steer her wrong. Although the other day, that girl was there and heard her and said, "Oh, no, WW is really easy."

Sometimes I think that in this day and age, it's odd for one to just eat something healthy and good for you. I was just eating carrots. I love carrots even when off plan and a different girl walked in and said, "I guess you really were serious about losing weight."

Quote:
And a word of advice.....I would avoid sharing anything personal with her.
That's probably true. I was warned when I started there that she was two faced.

And she is the nurse supervisor of my unit. So I'm sure that before long the entire unit will know I'm on a diet or if I start eating a donut (knowing that I have the points for it), she'll say something about it.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Just want to add that you do not owe anyone an explanation of your food choices. All you need to say if someone questions your oatmeal is, "I like oatmeal." End of discussion.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #11  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

ugh. this is why i didnt tell anyone except my husband when i started trying to lose. people are obnoxious about it. if theyre not trying to "keep you on track" by noticing everything you eat, then theyre giving endless suggestions about how you could/should be doing things. i know a lot of them have good intentions and feel like they know more and can help you, but it gets old fast! people didnt start noticing until i lost about 45 lbs, and even then they'd give me suggestions even though i was clearly doing fine.

just keep your head up!

Last edited by juliastl27; 05-28-2010 at 10:56 AM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote