Old 05-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #1  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default Changing tastes

I used to eat mostly processed foods, fast food, easy quick stuff. Since I've been trying to get healthy, I make more foods from scratch, skip the fast food, skip the boxed stuff. On 3 occasions in as many weeks I've eaten the old stuff I used to eat every day: Hostess Cupcake, Hamburger Helper, Angus Burger from McD's.

The cupcake was super over sweet (but of course I finished it!), the Hamburger Helper was SO salty I thought it must have been packaged wrong (only managed 1/2 of the 1 cup serving) and the burger was just nauseating on all fronts, the smell and taste were disgusting, greasy/rancid almost. I've never in my life thrown away fast food!! Over 3/4 of the burger went in the trash. On all 3 occasions my boyfriend said they all tasted fine to him.

I am surprised that I'm seeing such a difference! I actually prefer the flavor of real whole foods now and never thought I would. Have you ever eaten a carrot from the farmer's market, fresh peeled, super slowly, bite by bite...they are so sweet and fresh tasting! Steamed aparagus, grilled organic beef with sea salt, sweet potato with fat free cottage cheese, edamame just thawed from the freezer and eaten like Jelly Beans??? Good stuff!

Has anyone noticed that foods they used to eat on a regular basis taste just plain wrong?

Last edited by Michelle98272; 05-27-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Nope. Really wish I was one of the people this has happened for.

Last edited by caryesings; 05-27-2010 at 12:40 PM.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes. My old standbys (Wendy's burgers and fries, Hostess cupcakes, and Gardettos) taste gross now (Greasy/salty/limp, way too sweet, and way too salty, in that order).

The only fast food that I can stomach is In and Out, and even that will make my stomach roll for a while. Cupcakes I get now from people who actually BAKE them, and I'm surprised that I am picky and often find them too sweet (bad for me, though, a cupcakery opened in the next town over that serves the most amazingly balanced, not-too-sweet cupcakes I've ever had. I have to exercise SO MUCH RESTRAINT).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I've never eaten a lot of processed foods, but I used to eat a lot of sweets and and fatty carby stuff. I have to be honest-- I really haven't tried any of that stuff since I changed my eating habits. But I definitely noticed that simple foods taste way more delicious to me than they used to. I was raised eating carrot sticks, but had lost my taste for them-- now they're delicious again.

cottage cheese and cut up fruit? before I wouldn't have bothered, now it's a treat. I've always eaten apples, but now I really enjoy them, lots of things.
I've also noticed that things taste a lot saltier-- I eat olives from time to time but one olive now and I feel all salted out.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #5  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

It's all the salt that I can't take. On the few occasions when I've eaten crappy stuff I used to eat all the time, the salt just about gags me. I mean, I am dead sure I could quickly get used to it again, and there are some things that are always going to push my buttons, when it comes to processed junk food, but my goodness, the salt is just unbearable to me now, and I like it that way.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Definitely. Things I used to love, I don't any more. Yes I do get excited over a salad or a plate full of veggies or my favorite beans. I also never liked dark chocolate but now it is my favorite treat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #7  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Yep, my tastes have changed radically. My husband has experienced the same thing, and sometimes curses me for it :P
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

the good thing with me is that i do not even feel the urge to try them in order to see how they taste or not.

i believe that along with my tastebuds, my eyesight has changed into what looks pleasing to the eye. currently and thankfully, greasy fatty fast food LOOKS disguisting to me. plus, things like biscuits, chocolate and things like that.. look fake.

on the other hand... salads/wholegrains/steamed veggies/baked chicken and healthy things like nuts and seeds.. look mouthwatering!!!!!!!

grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #9  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Nothing tastes better to me now than fresh fruits and veggies. Although I don't eat fast food anymore, I'm sure if I was to taste it again it would probably be way too salty for me to enjoy. My taste buds must have really changed!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #10  
Graceful Loser

Absolutely. There are things I wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole seven months ago (bean sprouts, mushrooms, big salads, to name a few) that I have all of the time now. This is something I've puzzled about ever since I changed my eating habits. The last time I caved and had something bad for me (I got a small blizzard at Dairy Queen one night after a bad grade in my Financial Marketing class) it was AWFUL. I literally ate half, wanted to throw up, and threw the rest away. I can't really explain to you or anyone why my tastes have changed so much after such a short period of time, but it's like a completely different me now.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
Nope. Really wish I was one of the people this has happened for.
I'm not eating too much of the old stuff, but yeah, I still enjoy it when I do. It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the healthy stuff that I eat the vast majority of the time, but yes, it would be easier if I had completely lost my taste for the rest of it.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #12  

No, can't say that. I'm with Cary though, I wish that they did. lol
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #13  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

My parents were true hippies in the late 60's, I was raised on homemade granola, dried fruit as treats, whole grain breads, unsweetened homemade fruit juices/applesauce, garden grown vegetables, milk with meals, brown rice syrup for sweetening and carob chips as the big treat. My mom didn't work outside of the home and had the time to feed us wholesome healthy foods. We also were never denied food, always encouraged to eat when we were hungry and stop when we had had enough.

As I became an adult, I forgot all of that as I have always worked outside the home, sought the fast modern way of making food and also have struggled with finances my whole adult life looking for the cheapest way to feed myself and my family. My whole life has become unbalanced as my health has suffered from poor nutrition. I feel like I was starving to death at 275 lbs. Starving for nutrition for sure, definitely not calories!! I forgot how to feed myself healthily, forgot how to eat for fuel and instead got into this weird cycle of starve, binge, hate myself, starve, binge, hate myself.

I am thrilled to be getting back to the healthier way of living and being. I look at pictures of my family from the 70's and see very healthy happy naturally thin people (albeit with weird hair styles and macrame bikini's (mom!) with clear skin, shiny hair, bright eyes. My parents weren't obese, depressed/anxious and none of us 3 children were obese or had behavioral challenges. I really am beginning to see that the way I have eaten and fed my children has really led us so far away from being naturally healthy.

My tastes have changed and my life is changing too :-)
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I can still do grease unfortunately... but salt? EVERYTHING tastes so salty to me now! EVERYTHING. Especially fast food... thankfully
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #15  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

yup... sadly i cant stand starbucks strawberries and cream fraps.. i miss them.. but they taste awful now....
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote