Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #1  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Do you look in other people's grocery carts?

I find myself looking in other people's carts all the time now. If they are thin I look to see what they have....if they are big I look to see what they have. With few exceptions there are striking differences. Sometimes I see large people who like me, must be on a weight loss path because you know they aren't fat from what it in their cart. I sometimes see thin people with a lot of crap in their carts, but I figure they are buying for other family members too or they are the type that don't overeat.

So, do you look at what people have in their grocery carts?
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I do look. Sometimes, I am surprised by the amount of sugar and processed foods and the lack of vegetables. Honestly, my grocery basket may always have had a few of those in it, but I also had healthy food in there too.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 05-26-2010 at 09:13 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I admit I do look at other people's carts but I've caught other people looking into mine too
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #4  
Meg

Nope, I've never been interested in what other people are buying. But it does tickle me to think about how confusing MY cart must be to nebby people! I have my healthy foods; DH's Coke, chips, ice cream, and pasta; and the candy that DS (who is diabetic) keeps for hypoglycemic episodes. It's fun not to be able to be stereotyped.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #5  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I look... and people look in mine. They probably think how can someone eat that healthy and still be fat. Makes want to carry a before picture with me lol

But I have gotten ideas from other peoples carts
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #6  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Nope, I've never been interested in what other people are buying. But it does tickle me to think about how confusing MY cart must be to nebby people! I have my healthy foods; DH's Coke, chips, ice cream, and pasta; and the candy that DS (who is diabetic) keeps for hypoglycemic episodes. It's fun not to be able to be stereotyped.
LOL- so now when I see a mixed cart I will think of you Meg!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #7  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I look at my own cart (and around as well ). When I am in a smooth on plan state, I have cart pride. Fresh foods, few processed goods... Recently I looked at my cart and realized I could no longer claim cart pride. Candies, chips, prepared foods... Now I use my own cart evaluation as a tool to keep track of my and my family's intake...
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #8  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

YES! It's one of my hobbies at the supermarket It's so fun to see what people purchase.

I saw a man in scrubs buying cups and cups of pre-made soup. I can imagine he must be a busy busy bachelor

It's interesting but I don't pass judgement. It's more of a curiousity.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I NEVER looked until I visited this site! There are so many horror stories around here about shopping cart incidents. It made me compelled to look!

Mostly though, I am not interested in what other people are buying at all, unless it's beer. I have a hang up about beer and I chastise myself every time I have negative thoughts toward someone buying it. My brother is a severe, severe alcoholic so I'm afraid of the stuff.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #10  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I look. I know people look into mine too. I am surprised at what I see sometimes and sometimes when I see people with overweight and obese children and the cart is full of a bunch of junk for them I just want to shake them, slap them, maybe both. When I see people who are my size or larger and I see all or mostly healthy food I want to chear for them. I do see thin people with a bunch of junk sometimes too, and I just figure they have high metabolisms or something and I hope for their sake it never catches up to them. I am sad for them because I know they aren't as healthy as they could be and I kinda wish the junk would make them fat because at least the fat is a sign we can see to let us know to do something about our health, they have no sign.

I have had interesting conversations with total strangers about what was in our carts before. I discovered a new veggie, daikon (I think that's the proper spelling) - it looks like a giant parsnip, but tastes like a radish/turnip/potato and I love them, because I saw one in a guy's cart and just asked him, "hey, what's that thing and where are they?" I had a great conversation with a young mom whose child was begging (seriously begging) for grapefruit. I've also had people ask me about the things in my cart - is that good, does that work, etc.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
I had a great conversation with a young mom whose child was begging (seriously begging) for grapefruit.
Must have been my son. I swear I am the only mom who has ever uttered the words, "No, I am not buying frog legs" and also the only mom who has ever said at a buffet, "You must choose something besides fruit."
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #12  
Kaye

S/C/G: 176/See Ticker/140

I'm a cashier & I admit.. I do it all the time!!!!

Now, I am so subconscious whenever I go to the store. In a strange way, I think it has actually helped me improve my shopping and eating habits. Especially when I shop where I work.
yoyo no more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #13  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Eliana - my niece LOVES frog legs - she's 3.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #14  

Guilty I look to, and people do look into mine even gotten some strange looks. Certain stores I only buy certain things.
RedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #15  
Starting stronger.

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Mostly though, I am not interested in what other people are buying at all, unless it's beer. I have a hang up about beer and I chastise myself every time I have negative thoughts toward someone buying it. My brother is a severe, severe alcoholic so I'm afraid of the stuff.
YES! This is me too. I'm not a big cart looker (though I used to have insecurities about the stuff in my own cart) but I always notice if someone in line with me has a bunch of alcohol. I hate it, but because of family history, I do judge them.
Cita is offline   Reply With Quote