View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #26
showgirlaz

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I hunted and had a hard time finding one that worked for us and was low in fat too. Nearly all of the recipes used a lot of mayo! Just a tip, you can substitute the cauliflower with chopped, boiled turnip or rutabaga once in awhile too!

This is one that uses a little less mayo and works in the hard boiled eggs too.

Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
1 medium head cauliflower (about 4 cups/1 quart florets)
2 hard-boiled eggs
1 medium stalk celery, minced (including leaves)
cup chopped green pepper (cooked to meet Ideal Protein standards)
2 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
1/3 cup mayonnaise (Smart Balance Omega 3 mayo)
1 tablespoon prepared mustard (brown or yellow)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon onion powder
1-2 teaspoons worth sugar substitute
2 tablespoons sugar-free pickle relish (look for mount olives pickles or relish they are splenda sweetened )
Salt and pepper

1. Break or chop the cauliflower into smallish florets. If they are too big, they're difficult to cook so that they have the right "bite" and flavor - the outside tends to overcook.
2. Steam on the stove or microwave florets in a covered container with a small amount of water.
3. Drain and put into a medium bowl. Chop the egg and add. Toss with salt and pepper. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Mix the ingredients for the dressing (mayo, lemon juice, spices, etc.). Taste for the balance of flavors you like. Mix the chopped vegetables and the dressing into the cauliflower and egg mixture. Add chopped fresh herbs if you wish - chives, dill, or parsley work well, but I've even used mint for something different. Garnish with the herb, or sprinkle with paprika. Chill.
Makes 8 servings.

FOUND AT :http://www.low-carbchef.com/Salads_Level_One.html

An alternate that I like but is much higher in fat is by Dana Carpender, in her book 500 low carb recipes.

DANA'S UNPOTATO SALAD
Small-medium fresh cauliflower, about 3 cups cut up
1 cup celery, chopped, about 4 stalks
1 cup red onion, chopped, about 4 ounces or one small-medium onion
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon granular Splenda, or to taste *
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 hard boiled eggs

Cut the cauliflower into bite-size pieces and place in a large casserole. Add 1 tablespoon water; cover and microwave on HIGH about 6-7 minutes, stirring after half the time. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes then drain and return the cauliflower to the casserole. I recommend chilling the cauliflower until it's at least lukewarm before adding the remaining ingredients. Stir in the celery and onions.
Unless the core is very woody, you can cube it and use it along with the rest of the florets

In a small bowl, mix all of the remaining ingredients except the eggs; pour over cauliflower and mix well. Peel and cut the eggs into large chunks. Gently stir into the salad so you don't break up the yolks too much. Chill well before serving.

Makes 8 servings

* I use liquid Splenda equal to about 5 teaspoons granular.

Per Serving: 263 Calories; 25g Fat; 5g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 4.5g Net Carbs

My Progress Photos

Taking this 10 pounds at a time!

You have to choose - eat how you want to look, or look how you want to eat...