Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #1  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Question Jasmine Rice-Is it REALLY that good for you?

So, we all have friends with stupid advice. I have one friend who I swear is CONSTANTLY trying to sabotage my efforts. Says things all the time like, "I don't want you to lose weight, you're so beautiful to me how you are!" I always say, "That's great, but I am not comfortable the way I am. I want to be beautiful to myself!" And that's met with much eye-rolling and sad looks from them. Honestly, you'd think I was anorexic the way they go on about it.

Anyways, it seems EVERYTIME I am around this person, they're trying to feed me CRAP that I know damn well I shouldn't be eating.
One thing they're constantly trying to shove at me is jasmine rice. They swear up and down that it's not like white rice, it's technically a brown rice, it's healthy, blah blah blah. But meanwhile, they eat (and serve) an ENTIRE PLATE LOADED 2 INCHES HIGH with the stuff! It's like an enormous fluffy white cloud on a plate! No, I never fall for the trap and eat even a 1/4 of it--In fact, lately when I go over I just refuse to have any at all 'cos I just don't think it's as "healthy" as they claim (even in an actual recommended serving size).
It always starts an argument. They know ALLLLL about what's good for me.

Meanwhile, this person has SCARY high triglycerides and eats insane amounts of food that I don't think is really all that great for them. And is trying to tell ME what's healthy???

So yeah... IS jasmine rice really all that awesome for you?

Side-note: Oh, and while we're on the thing about friends and their stupid advice, I was at a birthday party on Sunday and ate a tiny (itty bitty) amount of BBQ ribs*. My friend said "Don't worry, it's pure protein, that's good for you!!"

(*Still didn't go over my calorie limits, it's all good, I'm not doing a "confessional" about it )

Last edited by m3rma1d; 05-25-2010 at 10:54 AM.
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #2  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Jasmine rice can be either brown or white, you'd have to see the packaging to tell what your friends are dishing up (although I'm betting on white...). Even if it is brown it isn't more healthy than any other brown rice. I mean, maybe it's marginally healthier since basmati is supposed to have a better glycemic index and jasmine is also a fragrant rice. But they are harvested differently (basmati is aged) so I don't know about that. Anyway, a small side dish serving is fine, a heaping plateful not so much.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations on a grest loss ! There are diet saboteurs all around .. For different reasons, some are afraid they may lose your friendship if you meet your goal, others are jealous of your success, and others are concerned about their own weight and aren't ready to do anything about it.Stay strong !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #4  
CHEEZBURGER!

S/C/G: 149/147/135

Height: 5'3"

We were on a big jasmine rice kick for a while. Made in the microwave, it's fluffy / slightly-sticky deliciousness.

But our trainer said NO! NO! NO! That stuff is pure simple carbs.

I have seen brown jasmine rice in the store. So I would think that is a lesser evil.

I still eat the white jasmine rice, just in moderation, say 1/2 cup prepared as a serving.

Oh and let the haters hate.

Last edited by grrlscout; 05-25-2010 at 12:50 PM.
grrlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #5  

Jasmine rice makes my blood sugar levels skyrocket whether it is brown or white... A low GI rice is basmati. The brown is better, but the white is better than other white rices. I can eat brown basmati in moderation, and not have problems. I no longer buy Jasmine.

Congrats on your resolve to lose weight and to overcome the saboteurs. I know how frustrating it can be! Stick to it!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote