Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 03:08 PM   #1  
DETERMINED!

Default Why Can't I get back on track?

I recently gained 30 lbs (in 1 month)and no matter what I try I can't get focused to stick to anything. I lost 170 lbs in a little over a year by going to the gym 5 times a week.,and eating 1200-1400 calories a day. I did not go off that plan,and if I had a minor setback, I went right back on it.But now that I gained
so much I am so depressed.My clothes are getting very tight.I feel so awful about myself,and I know what I have to do but I can't seem to make myself do it.I see myself getting to my former weight,and it scares me.
Lauren
335/160/190(Current)

Last edited by sparrow; 11-10-2002 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:28 PM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello Sparrow!

You are not alone. I too have lost (though not as much as you have ~ you did wonderfully!!) only to gain it all back. I just can't seem to get back the original motivation that I had. I know what to do, but just can't seem to do it for even a day. I feel better when I do the right things, but for whatever reason, that doesn't make me stick to it. I need to get back on track for health reasons ~ even the scare of knowing what health problems I am at risk for if I do not shape up doesn't make me stick to it.

Help!!!!!!! I do not know what to do with myself.

Thanks for listening ~ glynne
Old 11-10-2002, 08:21 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Lauren - Ok, so you've gained. What changed. Are you still going to the gym? Eating the same calories. Do you think you can FORCE yourself to follow your old plan for just a day? And then maybe one day again?

I know where you are. It's where I am. I know I can do this, I've done it before. But I let myself get away with slacking.

I am so proud of you for losing all your weight. That is such an amazing thing. I've lost 40 or so, but never 175. That's just well...WOW!!! But I have heard that keeping it off can be just as hard.

Don't see yourself as your former 335, see yourself as your former 160. how good it felt. How in control you were. There lies the motivation.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:50 AM   #4  

Lauren, I'm with Sandi -- What changed? Did you get busier with something in your life, more hours at work, new hobby, something like that? Or maybe it's something emotional -- fear of success type issues. Did you lose a job or a promotion or something like that -- something that when you were fat you could blame on your weight and now you can't? Or maybe someone came on to you and you weren't prepared to deal with it?

Of course, it could be none of the above, could be just getting lazy ... having that attitude that "I was on a diet, now I don't have to diet anymore."

Are you still going to the gym?

Congratulations on your wonderful loss -- and good for you that you're catching this gain NOW and not when you've undone half of your hard work!!! Most of us are struggling to do what you did, and I know we can benefit from your experience ... let's get you back on your program so you can tell us all how great it is to shop in the normal clothes stores!

Pen
265/218.5/150ish
Old 11-11-2002, 09:55 AM   #5  

Congrats on what an amazing journey you accomplished! That is wonderful.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling right now. I too gained weight back. About 35 lbs I think. It's depressing and makes me SO angry. But I am STOPPING right now. It was so easy for the weight to come back. I stopped exercise. Then my water slowed down and then bam, I stopped watching what I was eating.

Please, please, please...look at what you have been doing, to why you gained some weight back. And stop. You know how too easy it is for it to come back.

Your in my thoughts...

Old 11-11-2002, 08:03 PM   #6  
DETERMINED!

Thanks everyone! Today I did great!I went to the gym ,and had a great workout.I also stayed OP.
One day at a time.
335/160/190:

Last edited by sparrow; 11-11-2002 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:35 PM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

YAY Sparrow! There you go: One Day at a Time!
Old 11-12-2002, 07:51 AM   #8  

Yay! Good for you! The trick now is to keep it up! One day at a time ... you'll get back to where you were!
Old 02-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Sparrow -

So how's it going? Been thinking about you.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:55 PM   #10  
DETERMINED!

Hi Sandi,
Thanks for asking!I am not doing too good right now. I recently went back out with a guy that I really liked and though he felt
the same. But since I did not hear from him in over a month I guess he didn't.I would be able to just forget it except I think that it was my fault. That it was because of something I said or didn't say. Or I wasn't exciting enough. As a result I feel awful about myself. My job performance is suffering. I don't want to go anywhere. I just find myself eating and going to bed about 8pm'just so I won't have to be depressed. My weigh is going right back up to where it was. I try every day to do what I used to do when I lost, but I just can't. I have no more motivation.
335-starting weight
194-Cuurrent weight
Old 02-07-2003, 03:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

oh no! we're here to KEEP you motivated!

the fact that you checked in means you still think about it. you can do it!!

do it for yourself, not for any boy. do it to feel good, to look good, to live longer.

chin up!
Old 02-07-2003, 03:05 PM   #12  
Long Time Member

Ok, so your depression is the trigger. Maybe right now doing the whole ball of wax is too much. Pick one thing and start to do it every day. Say, no snacking or just moving every day.

I know this whole thing is about emotions. Exercise can really help with that. A nice long walk just might clear your head.

The other thing that you need to know is that you can't change people. They are who they are. You want to be with someone who adores you because you are an amazing person. This guy is not that person. Doesn't matter why he didn't call...he didn't call. So you need to stop focusing on him and start focusing on the most important person in your life. You can do it and you are worth it!!!

Tomorrow is another day. Stop this downward spiral. You are still under 200. That is a great thing!!! You still have 141 lbs off!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 03:46 PM   #13  
Searching

I think Holly and Sandi both have good points. If push comes to shove and your still climbing why don't you talk to someone or at least to yourself about whats really making you unhappy. Nobody can makes us unhappy. Today we choose. I believe that.

Learing to love myself everyday,
Miss Chris
Old 02-08-2003, 01:24 PM   #14  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Miss Chris has a point. The most eye-opening thing my therapist ever said to me was that no one can MAKE you feel anything...what you feel, you choose to feel all by yourself. I am trying to remember that when I start to hurt over what someone else does. I just tell myself, you know, that's THEIR problem, not mine. I can either make myself feel bad about it, or I can live my own life, on my own terms. I'm not saying I never feel hurt by other people, but I am learning slowly not to wallow in it for weeks and weeks like I used to.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:06 AM   #15  

Hey, I agree with everyone ... I used to get the same way. I recall one guy that did the same to me, and how it took me a long time to get over it, endd up jumping into a relationship that turned out to be really bad news, etc., etc.

When I think about it now, I think a more appropriate response would have been to be angry ... I don't know how appropriate that is in your situation because I don't know all the details. BUT ultimately you shouldn't be beating yourself up over it. There could be any number of reasons he didn't call -- Most of the time I think guys who don't call do it because they don't want to hurt your feelings, not realizing that by not calling it hurts more.

I agree with Sandi - exercise would probably help a lot right now.

Feel better,
Pen
Closed Thread