Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 AM   #1  
Diggin' for Motivation

S/C/G: 310/291.5/150

Height: 5'6

Default A Blue New Member

Hello all!

I'm a new face around here! This isn't the first time I've seen this site, but this is the first time I've joined and given this site a good look and I think it's a good time for me to do this!

I'm feeling... rather low at this point and I am not sure where else I could turn so I would like to thank anyone who responds to this in advanced for the welcome and/or support.

I'm 20 and my "starting" weight when I realized what size I was, was when I hit 310 pounds during my senior year of high school almost two years ago. It was a shock, I've never seen myself like that before... EVER. Then, during the start of college, I dropped down to 275 (after starting thyroid medication for hypothyroidism) and was elated! I had a stressful period with my apartment and ended up moving back home where I gained an additional 10 pounds over the summer and within the past 9 months, I gained an additional 6 pounds (though I've dropped about 1-2 pants sizes as during the past 9 months, I did commit myself to a 6 week work-out program where I went to the gym 3-4 days a week for 45 minutes at a time). This puts me at 291.5...

Now, I have an upcoming doctor's appointment where I am sure my physician will prescribe me with high blood pressure medication and it's brought me to tears as the day closes in.

Besides the fear of being on that type of medication at my age, but I feel like I am creeping back up to being 300 pounds. I feel like bursting into tears as I promised myself I'd never get back up to 300 pounds, ever again.

So... that's why I am here, to keep my promise to myself and to, even though I won't drop any major weight by my doctor's appointment this week, that by the end of the year, I'll be off whatever medication for my HBP.

I just want to be happy and healthy... and not fearful of my future in terms of my body!

Thanks for listening...
Reciprocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

to 3FC! I'm glad you decided to join!

Hang in there! Most of us have been at times down, despairing and sometimes even angry with our weight situations. But there is plenty of support and lots of wise ladies who can help you find a plan that works for you. It sounds like you are working out which is great! Putting an emphasis on exercise and health is highly commendable!

You might want to look at the 300-plus forum for members who have faced the challenges of that weight range. You might also check out the dieting with obstacles forum.

Good luck with your goals!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #3  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

welcome and good luck! This is a wonderful site and you'll find lots of support here.
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

My main focus this time around has been on my blood pressure. I was averaging 155/100 and over the past three months or so have brought it down to an average of 100/60. They key for me has been the exercise you said you were doing. That does such amazing things for you! I have often said I may well be the most fit fat person out there. The body responds really well to exercise and minor changes in weight. So take heart.

You've come to a great place for motivation and encouragement! Grab some water and sit right down!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/225/175

Height: 5 feet 8 inches

Hi there! I like your name-I'm sure there's an interesting story behind it...

Regarding the blood pressure medication: don't forget that this is to keep you healthy-it's not a punishment for being overweight. Has a doctor ever said you are verging on HBP? I ask because not every overweight person has it!

In any case, hang in there! This is a great place for support and motivation.
Mary49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!!

I've been on here about a year. Not activley trying to lose the whole time, obviously but the ppl here are fantastic and supportive!

We're doing a 4th of July challenge to see how much we can lose by July 4th. Its one of the threads below! Feel free to join up! I love the challenges here because its the short term challenges like this that keep me focused, motivated and on track; so maybe itd help be a distraction for you
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #8  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I think it is great that you have decided to join us... This place is an awesome source of support.

Just take this one day at a time. Start setting some small goals for yourself... like exercising or drinking more water or calorie counting. One little step at a time. You'll get there!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #9  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome to the group! There is a lots of great information and advice here! Good for you for wanting to take control of your life again
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #10  
Diggin' for Motivation

Thank you everyone for the welcome and advice!!

@ Yoyoma - I will check out both of those forums, thank you! I joined into this club because I thought it was losing 100lb. I guess I read it wrong, but I will look into all of the forums.

@ Eliana - Hmm, thank you for the food for thought! When I was doing my little work out program, I had already went to the doctor's a few months before and I did not go again until a few months later so I am not sure how my blood pressure fluctuated during that time, but I do know what you mean about being a fit fat person! I could take those stairs better than an normal weight person, hahaha.

@ Mary - Thank you! Yes, I chose this name because to lose weight, you have to modify the way you eat and your lifestyle, along with your attitude and mindset of the whole idea of weight. There's also a song called "That's When" by Tonex in which a man is struggling to get through the tough obstacles in life and is asking for a break through.

I did not think of BP medication as that... I really did see it as a punishment, my mood has lightened a lot with that! Thank you! But yes, I have pre-hypertension and my doctor says that I have enough above average blood pressure readings for her to be able to put me on testing medication to keep me from passing completely into the first stage/level of HBP.

@ Tara - Thank you! I've been looking around at the mini-goal section of the forum and it's inspiring me to see what I can do within the next few weeks!

Thank you once again everyone! I really do feel the support and motivation already!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yoyoma was just giving suggestions as to where else to look AS WELL. You are MORE than welcome in 100 + regardless! Happy to have you here!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

glad to read you're feeling better. I reached 300 lbs in my teens, lost 100 lbs, gained 130 (over a bunch of years), my ever highest was actually 330. I was never diagnosed with high blood pressure, but I was headed in a very unhealthy direction. Hang in there, and all the changes and lbs and .1's and NSV will add up, believe me. Best of luck!!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! Don't stress over the hbp meds if you do have to take them. I took them for several years while I was working and had a ton of stress. After I retired I didn't need them any more, even staying at the same weight. One thing you do want to cut down on is your salt, that can make a huge difference in your readings.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #14  
Diggin' for Motivation

@ Eliana - Thank you! Heehee, I understood what she meant, I just didn't want to have a mod have to move anything because I posted in the wrong area, but thank you again!

Everyone has been very welcoming!

@ Dragon - I am going to march forward! I've been out of the house a lot this week and I joined SparkPeople.com to help me keep to very small goals - right now I'm commiting to drinking more water, walking at least 10 minutes a day and listening to an upbeat song!

@ Paula - That's what I am thinking it is; the stress. Each time I've been to the doctor's I've been dealing with stressful things (moving states, moving apartments twice in one year, starting school again, etc, etc). So I am hoping now that I am on vacation and have been relaxing for the past week my blood pressure will just show what I need to work on in terms of weight and diet.

And yes, I've been watching my sodium intake, some of the things I have been eating are horrible! I've really cut back. I've stopped cooking with salt as my major flavor and use fresh spices.