Old 05-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #1  

Default Questions about Low Carb (Diet Not Otherwise Specified)

I tend to eat as low carb as I can throughout most days, but I do not follow any specific diet. I eat vegetables daily, and even fruits when I feel like it (once or twice a week, usually). I do not track my carbs or calories, but I am losing weight.

My question is, I find that since I live a pretty busy lifestyle (and insane work hours), I tend to drink a Slim Fast Low Carb shake every morning. Sometimes (maybe once a week - not often), I'll drink one for dinner as well with some veggies, or another lower calorie low carb shake (Pure Protein, EAS, Atkins) for a snack.

I think these shakes are a good way to supplement vitamins and minerals, but I do drink a lot of them. I'm wondering if the artificial ingredients could do more harm than the vitamins and minerals I gain with them.

If anyone wants to see an example of what I eat in a day, I'm glad to share.
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think it absolutely depends on how you feel about artificial ingredients. You have to admit that shakes are a convenient thing

If it's bothering you, research a little and find some other snacks that will work. I'm sure there's lots of tips in the low carb threads here.

Let's see what the others say.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #3  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Hi VN,

I'm not tracking macros anymore either. The first couple weeks I did, and now I have a feel for what keeps me around or under 50gm of carbs. It seems to be working, slower than I prefer, but I'm impatient.

I agree with Susan on the artificial stuff your gulping down. If it doesn't bother you then go for it. I am personally a little freaked out from what I've learned about our 'frankenfoods' so I am sticking to real food low carb eating.

For example: The Slimfasts have long list of artificially created ingredients, but it's the canola oil that stops me in my tracks. What I've learned about that so called healthy oil is pretty disturbing. I'm done with it. The Atkins uses sunflower oil which is very similar in the processing but cranks up the rancid omega 6 fats I'm trying to avoid. Plenty of folks have great weight loss success with these types of products and 'foods', but I am as interested in long term health as weight loss in addition to trying to find my fuel locally, organic, and or sustainably produced.

I know a Canadian rape farmer pretty well. I'm just stunned by the sheer tonnage of insecticides he dumps on that crop. That's where your canola oil comes from.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #4  

That's really good to know. I definitely prefer organics and all natural products, so I've been feeling a bit weird about the daily shakes. But I had no clue about all the insecticide - I was more worried about the lab-made ingredients. Thanks!

I may keep with them for a bit longer and slowly wean off. They satisfy my carb and sweets cravings, so it'd be difficult to quit cold turkey.

Thanks so much for the input!!
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #5  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

No problem, and seriously, if the shakes work for weight loss and convenience, you could do way worse. Since you see them as something to eventually stop, then you'll have to figure out other ways to satisfy the cravings they quench. That can be done with real food too.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I make my ow shakes with just milk and protein powder. I bought a bunch of Blender Bottles (plastic bottle with a lid and a little whisk ball to mix it up) because I'm too lazy and don't always have time to use any sort of blender or even my Magic Bullet. Most of the powders I use have Splenda in them, but there are some that don't have artificial sweeteners (such as Jay Robb brand, which I've gotten at Whole Foods). I mix the powder with milk ,and if I'm really feeling the "natural" thing, I'll use unsweetened Almond Breeze.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote