Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy He done me wrong- stop me from burying my face in McDonalds

I just needed to vent, I got my heart broken today.

My dad has been going on and on all month about this trip that he's taking his wife and my 2 adult sisters on... and he's never invited me. I've just ignored it up until this point- it seemed like an event for "his" family- I'm from the first marriage and he tends to do a lot more vacations & things with his new family because they've always been together- I don't quite get it, but I accept that I get left out.

Today I learned everyone was going- grandparents, extended family- and he called it a "family reunion". Really hurtful, I don't want to call Dad out on it and embarrass him, I can't afford to go so I can't invite myself, all I can do is sit and sulk. All of a sudden I'm a surly unwanted teenager again. McDonald's is calling.....

Tell me your tales of heartbreak. Misery loves company!!!
nicolejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

you poor thing! I'm so sorry you're going through that! I would call and ask him about it, atleast to get it off your chest. I hope you feel better soon!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #3  

Aww, thank you dear! You mean I can't just passive-agressively post things on Facebook about it?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would ask him why he didn't invite you. He may mistakenly think that you won't want to go. Go ahead ask him .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #5  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

Asking does seem like the best way to deal with this. Not all that fun, I'm sure, but at least you'll figure out why he left you out like that.
You don't really want McDonalds. You think you do, but just imagine how much worse you would probably feel after eating it! Not good... Not good at all. Because then, once you eat it, you're left dealing with both the emotions of what your dad did *and* the feeling of going off plan. Don't do it. Totally not worth it.

Last edited by ninepaw; 05-21-2010 at 06:28 PM.
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Go for a jog or do equally exhausting cardio. Get that stress out! And remember it's not other people who validate you it's YOU!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #7  
Eye of the Tiger!

S/C/G: 205/175/146

Height: 5'10

That really sucks, sometimes family can really be hurtful. I have people in my family that like to attempt to passive aggressively sabotage my weight loss, they act like they are doing me a favor by cooking my favorite things, fudge and stuffing, when they know I am not in a stage where I can eat those foods and say I will definitely use portion control. I will be honest, I want to be close to my family, but if they are not acting in a way that will help me grow in a positive way they should not be a priority in my life. And then I get depressed and end up eating, and guess what... they win. I know it is not like your story, but the bottom line is that we need to make ourselves a priority. If I were you I would call him out and ask him why I am not part of the family. By not saying anything you are letting him get away with it, he wins you lose.
wannabeahotmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I can hear how badly this is making you feel. I am sorry.

Eating McDonalds will only make everything worse. You think it will soothe you...but, it really will not do that. You have a terrific weight loss going. Don't let someone's thoughtlessness impact all the good things you have going.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

VeggieGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I second exhausting cardio. This is EXACTLY why I keep my kickboxing DVDs and Gold's Cardio Gym rhythm boxing Wii game on hand.

I ALWAYS feel less frustrated after sweating it out.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Do you mean to tell us you are the only one who is not invited?

That really sucks big time, if true! Have you confirmed this with him? I mean, you really ought to call him out on it. You can't let him just think this is OK with you! And he might have a mistaken idea about this--people do mess up.

All the exercise in the world won't make up for misunderstanding. If it turns out he really did intend to exclude you and didn't think that would be a problem, then at least you can set him straight and go on, knowing where he stands.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Aww.. man.. that is NOT cool i've been there before. I call them out on it. But then again, i prefer to keep away from family.. its just easier in the long run.

* i agree 100% * with JayEll

*HUG* STAY AWAY FROM MICKEY D's!! You've come way to far !!! and to give in just lets those people win!
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Trust me, you don't want McDonald's. I went and spit on ALL of their burgers;P
Does that help?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #14  

OK, first of all, thank you SO much everyone for your comments!! I have never felt this supported in all my life It was so good to hear your feedback, and in some cases laugh because of it!! And thanks for the hugs.

I feel so much better today. I didn't eat McDonald's, I did do cardio. I also had an epiphany- why are my dad's feelings more important than mine? I just want to be the 'good girl', not cause any problems- and where has that gotten me? Stuffing my feelings down with food. I was even considering moving away from my family yesterday- which isn't realistic but I'm sure you all have been there

So, I'm going to ask him about it. I'm sure actually talking about it isn't as scary as I make it out to be. And from now on, I'm going to call people out right away when they do something hurtful like that, instead of letting it fester.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 228/220/140

Height: 5'9.5

Yea hun some Dad's sucks sometimes, i always suggest expressing how you feel in private and try to be emathic and non-aggresive. sometimes people do things without thinking their actions through. My dad is an addict and a compulsive liar but all of my family on his side continues inviting him over and embracing him b/c weed, alcohol, and abusing ur wife is normal behavior lol&smh. But i don't embrace him I let him know he's doing wrong and I dont let that get me down because I'm alive and my lungs, heart, and brain works just fine and that alone is something EVERYONE should feel super blessed about.

Don't poison your body with McDonalds take care of it, don't be afraid to say what YOU HAVE TO SAY, and do everything that you want to do!
LastTrain2Para is offline   Reply With Quote