Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Can also be used for a hair treatment. Liquify yolk and add to wet hair & leave on for 15 minutes then wash & condition as usual. Everything in yolk is great for your hair.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #17  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
I eat whole eggs and just factor them into my plan for the day. Generally I eat two whole eggs each day. Yum. Problem solved.
LOL me too
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #18  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
I eat whole eggs and just factor them into my plan for the day. Generally I eat two whole eggs each day. Yum. Problem solved.
For you. Not for the original poster. If eating whole eggs is not in her plan then it is not in her plan. The question was not "should I eat whole eggs"

There are a lot of healthy foods out there that others may not eat that I do and vice versa. Something has to give.

Regardless, because this very specific question is really a much more generic issue that many of us have to deal with in one form or another. For some of us it is a major issue to weight loss. The question translates as:

I feel guilty wasting food.

To which the answer really becomes "what is waste?" Which is a bigger waste, throwing an egg yolk (or 3 bites of mac n cheese or the last slice of pizza or the cube of avocado that wont keep or the last 5 nuts in the package...) in the trash or eating something you dont particularly need or even want just to keep from throwing it in the trash.

Sure, if you can find an alternate use that doesnt involve taking an egg yolk and adding cream and sugar to make creme brulee, great! Hair masque, dog food. I've done the hair thing from time to time, but that is only a % of the eggs I toss.

I read it and watching my family I believe it.

The ability to throw away edible food may be the # 1 indicator of long term weight loss success.

I've watched my mom eat an extra 300 calories easily at dinner because there was one bite of creamed spinach and one little taste of chicken and nothing was "enough to save for another meal" I've done it too. I was raised to see throwing away food as a sin. (considering the hippie heathen nature of my upbringing, perhaps the ONLY sin ) Overcoming that is freeing.

So take the egg yolks and with great joy and permission throw them away and free yourself.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

not that I'm recommending baking, but the Joy of Cooking Gold Medal cake takes 3 egg yolks.

I don't bake much, but that cake is an easy winner (to take places and give away-- of course!)
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

The ability to throw away edible food may be the # 1 indicator of long term weight loss success.

ennay -

Thanks for that post. I've been trying to internalize the message that it's ok to throw out food when it can't be saved and I don't want/need to eat it. It's great to see it put in that perspective.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Just an FYI, this is what Egg Beaters does with their yolks from their FAQ:

ConAgra Foods purchases pasteurized egg whites only. The supplier of these egg whites sells the yolks to other food and manufacturing companies for a variety of uses.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #22  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Similar here. I hate to read that people throw the yolk away, so many good nutrients in it! If I was of that mindset (that for whatever strange reason I don't yolks) I would definitely buy liquid egg whites. The waste would bother me.
Can't you freeze the yolks and use them in soups/something else?
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #23  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I second this one--great for the hair...the only trick is to not rinse in too hot of water (I did that once and the yolks "cooked" in my hair )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit2 View Post
Can also be used for a hair treatment. Liquify yolk and add to wet hair & leave on for 15 minutes then wash & condition as usual. Everything in yolk is great for your hair.
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Find a friend or neighbour who is eating Primal Blueprint fashion. They'll eat'em!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #25  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

I have gone back and forth on this, but really, I would rather not eat them because of the added calories. My biggest problem is how to dispose of them without creating a stinky mess. I also eat a lot of lf cottage cheese so now I save those cartons to put the yolks in and throw them away in the trash.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #26  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

As regards the waste issue, I just remind myself that everything eventually goes to waste anyway... either in the trashcan, or my body will take care of it. Only, why make extra work for my body?

As per the egg yolks, how about composting? Do you garden at all? Compost makes good fertiliyer.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #27  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hey I do compost, but didn't think I should put protein (egg yolk) in the compost. I don't know why I thought that - perhaps because you don't put meat in compost? hmmmm - I guess I'm not convinced, but on the other hand - do you put yours in the compost?

ETA: Just googled it and yes, it should be okay.

Last edited by ledom; 05-20-2010 at 08:59 PM.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #28  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledom View Post
Hey I do compost, but didn't think I should put protein (egg yolk) in the compost. I don't know why I thought that - perhaps because you don't put meat in compost? hmmmm - I guess I'm not convinced, but on the other hand - do you put yours in the compost?

ETA: Just googled it and yes, it should be okay.

Yay! I eat my yolks (hard-boiled eggs are one of my staple foods these days), but if I didn't, I'd throw them into the compost bin.

I hope that works out for you as a solution!
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #29  
Do everything in love.

S/C/G: 420/305.4/145

Height: 5'9"

I can respect being on a budget since I've been a poor college student for years, and eating healthier is definitely more expensive (not that I miss ramen noodles or party pizzas). I'm a big fan of egg beaters. I get the original which is 30 calories, 0g fat, 115mg sodium, and no cholesterol for the equivalent of one egg. I don't have to mess with getting rid of yolks, they're filling, and a 32oz carton has 16 servings. Even eating two (eggs) servings a day, the carton would still last me a week. For me, it's worth the investment. I've never bought just the egg whites version, so I don't know how much more expensive it would be.
ohlove is offline   Reply With Quote