Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #1  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Default "So I noticed...."

In the past two weeks, though I really haven't been losing weight in leaps and bounds anymore like I used to, I've been getting a lot of really weird compliments and questions.

Literally three times in two weeks, two strangers and one friend (who I see like once a year) have asked me if I've been sick. When I ask them why, they say that I've lost so much weight something must be wrong with me.

Ohhhh-KAY.

Guess it's not normal for anyone to just... you know... get healthy? You have to have some rabid, body wasting disease, right? And, when I tell them the truth (I eat healthier), they all gave me the most skeptical looks EVER.

Anyone else get this, or something similar?
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Yes, I have heard some of the same comments. People who never diet or never have the need to, just don't get it and figure there must be something wrong. Don't let it bother you, they don't know any better.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

No. But I understand. I like the "Wow, you've lost so much weight" comments a whole lot better!

That is weird. But you're not the first person I've heard have this issue. Apparently there are a lot of strange people around...they just don't live near me.

Last edited by Eliana; 05-18-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I've gotten the "are you sick" question before...

But, here's the thing, I DID compliment someone I hadn't seen in a while for losing so much weight, and it turned out she had had breast cancer....ouch.

So, there is a logic to the question, I guess.

The one that really gets to me, is that I'm convinced that a lot of people where I work are convinced I had WLS and am lying about it....
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
But, here's the thing, I DID compliment someone I hadn't seen in a while for losing so much weight, and it turned out she had had breast cancer....ouch.
I have been asked "Are these happy pounds?" I guess that's a way around something like that situation. Because yes, unfortunately not all weight losses are happy ones.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

That really is funny
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

YEs, I've had this.

I had someone tell me how good I looked, and then she got kinda quiet and came closer to me and said something like, "you did WANT to lose the weight, right? I mean, you're okay, aren't you?" And I said, "never been better!".

And I had quite a few others inquire about my health as well.

I have a very good friend and we have a mutual friend/acquaintance and this man asked my friend NUMEROUS times if I've had WLS. She told him no. Told him no again and every time that he asked her. He finally believed her, but then went on to tell her that well, maybe she didn't have WLS, but she must have had liposuction. Oy. As if you could possibly liposuction away 165 lbs. If only!!

Some people really can't fathom losing such a large amount of weight.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Awe, I'm sorry they didn't frame the comments a little more nicely! I just take any weight-related comment as a compliment and go on my merry way - I'm happier if I just assume any noticing of the loss is a GOOD thing
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #9  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I had a co-worker say to me today that they noticed I was getting smaller but didn't want to say anything in case I was sick. Once I explained that I was just eating healthier she was relieved to know that I wasn't sick and said I looked nice. I think most people mean well but there are a lot of potential minefields with mentioning a person's weight. Even something well meaning like, "you look great! Keep it up!" could be taken as an implication of needing more work or backhanded or whatnot. I figure if they are mentioning it, they mean well. It's the ones who try and feed me or act weird towards me that get on my nerves.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I've been asked if I have cancer and if I've had weight loss surgery. It's fun isn't it lol!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I wouldn't mind that people assume I had WLS except that The Most Unpleasant Woman in the World works with me and she had weight loss surgery (didn't work) and I don't want to be categorized with her in any way.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #12  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Yeap...I've been told the reason I've lost weight was WLS and I've been asked by others if I was seriously I'll :P
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote