Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/209/145

Height: 5'5''

Question Flatmates don't eat right, what do I do?

OK, So... I have a house that I rent. In it, is my husband and I and 2 other couples. Everyone likes to cook for everyone else. It can be fun, it can be nice to come home too, but it can also be deep fried, butter coated, chocolate coated, or completely off the weight watchers food list altogether.

I don't want to be rude, but on the other hand, I will not eat that food. I always say that Im not hungry, and then secretly eat something else. Or wait an hour, then say, you know what Im in the mood for??? Broccoli!! As if I can't resist the urge to have some broccoli. Wow.

Any tips from you guys???
hammond29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #2  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

Wow, that is a unique situation! The only thing that I can think of to do would be to tell your friends "count me out" when they cook and that you will prepare meals for yourself (and husband, if desired). You should not have to sneak healthy food in your own home. Also, you should not have to pay for the food in these "joint" meals. You may have to explain that you are really trying to lose weight and that you would appreciate their understanding (although you may not get it).

I would do what I had to do to succeed, including buying my own refrigerator... or moving.

Last edited by Cglasscock1; 05-17-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #3  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

How about if you and your husband cook a healthy feast for your flatmates? Maybe you could turn it into a competition of sorts?
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

I've had this problem in the past with roommates, and now currently with my boss. My boss lives a house over so she is always stopping by with cookies, cakes, etc.

I think the best thing you can do is be honest. Explain your plan to them and how you have to make better eating choices. Let them know you do appreciate what they have done for you in offering the food, but you have to follow your plan. Speak with them so they do not feel attacked. Someone suggested to me not to speak with them when they give the food, but rather before they are offering food. This way they do not feel like it is a personal attack.

Be honest and I think you will find they are more understanding then you think. If not well, like losermom said you and your husband start cooking the healthy foods!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

This is always difficult. I find it's 'easier' to tell folks that I must watch my cholesterol or sugar - doctor's orders - instead of saying "I am trying to lose some weight.' I don't know why folks seem more 'respectful' of this. As if...losing weight isn't as important. Of course it is. This has worked for me in the past.

Of course...you are still faced with what they fix for themselves and must be willing to not eat it. But, then you can fix your healthy versions of what you like -or add something healthy for yourself when they cook and you want to eat at the same time.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-18-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Why don't you just tell them? I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to eat healthy without everyone else in the house knowing about it.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I agree with some of the posters above...you live with these people, and in some cases it's better to keep your weight loss to yourself. But not in this one. Tell them that you appreciate the effort they put into cooking, but that you're really trying to eat healthier and lose weight so they can plan to not cook for you when they're cooking. And then cook a healthy meal for yourself and your husband.

Do you share the grocery bill too? That would complicate matters a lot....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm with Beverlyjoy. If you can't just tell them you are trying to lose weight, make up some socially acceptable health reason like cholesterol to get you off the hook.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I told my roommates that I was going to lose some weight, so to please stop offering me cookies and the like (we don't share food beyond that).

I would tell them now because they aren't going to want to keep cooking for you and having the food go to waste. Then cook healthy meals when its your turn and see how that goes.

Really, you live with these people. So they are going to start noticing that you're losing weight or that you're buy more veggies than normal. IMO, its better to just be honest.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote