Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Question Diabetes,Menstruation,stress and pain

Do any of ya'll with elevated Blood Sugars,stress and pain notice a delay in your Period starting?I'm 3 Day's late starting this Month.At times I feel it coming,but then the feeling subsides.I have 28 Day Cycles,but the past few Month's my Periods are 27,29 or 30 Day Cycles.I've had physical pain lately and am taking a Prescription Pain Medication.Am also under a lot of Stress.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #2  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

Butter butt, I've never really notice or may not be paying enough attnention. I have not have an acutal full period since Feb. I think its because of my weight game.

I'll try to pay attention so I can have a better input.

Feel better!
Moni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #3  
Woman on mission!

Moni,
Beginning March 2006,I've kept a Monthly planner of my Periods.I began doing it,because I had DUB,Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (non-weight related).My Period finally arrived early Morning (4 Day's late!).
Old 05-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/240.8/180

Height: 5'10"

Hi,
I am a type 1 diabetic but my bs spikes during my TOM. Actually it is so hard to control my bs that my doctor put me on year around birth control- basically skip the placebo week and start a new pack. I get my period about once every 4 or so years. I am planning on going back to regular periods this summer however, since we are going to start trying to conceive in the fall.

By the way- I LOVE not having my period almost at all! The first few months are weird but after that- heaven! l
Papillion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I thought I was about in Menopause, (7 months no periods) but got my period in late March, very light, and have had short light bleeds twice since. I get backache and some cramps, but truthfully its hard to tell the difference from this discomfort and the stuff I get with the metformin, which I started in mid April.
I do know other people whose menses changed with weight loss, so I am trying to see it in that positive light.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #6  
Woman on mission!

Fatmad,
What stuff do you get with Metformin?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #7  
Madeleine

Butter, with the metformin I am very gassy at times. I also tend to constipation with my low carb diet, and although some people find metformin makes them have loose bowels, no such luck for me.
THe gassiness makes me feel bloated at times and I get back ache with it, and low cramps, just like when my period is about to start.
I am on a low dose, just one tablet (500 mg) per day, so I can understand why some people can't take the side effects especially with higher doses.
I have recently noticed that the gas and cramping is worse when I take it with dairy products, as if it gives me a mild lactose intolerance, but it doesn't get better if I take it with digestive enzymes. So I make sure that I take it with a meal that has meat and not dairy as my protein food.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:18 AM   #8  
Woman on mission!

Fatmad,
Thank you.The short period I took Metformin,I didn't have Gas,Constipation,Bloating or low Backache,however,I did have Intestinal Cramping.Also,after it got in my System good,Leg pain.Metformin can depelete COQ10,B12 and Folate.What could happen whilst taking: Heart Disease,high Homocysteine,Infection,Fatigue,Anemia,irregular Heartbeat,memory loss,increased risk of Cancer,Muscle cramps.I read the above in a Book I bought called Drug Muggers how to keep your Medicine from stealing the life out of you!Caution:this Natural Pharmacist tells you the truth.Author,Suzy Cohen.R.Ph.Did you have problem with Dairy before beginning Metformin?How long have you taken Metformin?I hope the symptoms subside soon
Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #9  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_Butt View Post
Fatmad,
Thank you.The short period I took Metformin,I didn't have Gas,Constipation,Bloating or low Backache,however,I did have Intestinal Cramping.Also,after it got in my System good,Leg pain.Metformin can depelete COQ10,B12 and Folate.What could happen whilst taking: Heart Disease,high Homocysteine,Infection,Fatigue,Anemia,irregular Heartbeat,memory loss,increased risk of Cancer,Muscle cramps.I read the above in a Book I bought called Drug Muggers how to keep your Medicine from stealing the life out of you!Caution:this Natural Pharmacist tells you the truth.Author,Suzy Cohen.R.Ph.Did you have problem with Dairy before beginning Metformin?How long have you taken Metformin?I hope the symptoms subside soon
I understand Butter, but other than discomfort, most of the severe side effects are not common. Where as with diabetes, the effects of uncontrolled blood sugars are all too common and difficult to deal with.
I know of many people on metformin, and they are not having major problems. Where as many people with diabetes have peripheral neuropathy and have need amputations, have memory loss, heart disease etc.
Each of us has to balance risks and benefits of any treatment.
I researched metformin pretty carefully, and felt it was worth the trial.
The side effects are uncomfortable at times, but I am getting better at manageing them, and finding ways to minimize the discomfort, but its not so severe that I would choose to stop, given the consequences, and the alternatives. I spite of excellent dietary and exercise lifestyle changes, I simply could not keep my sugars in good control except with severe carb restriction, which is just not sustainable for life. (and some would say unhealthy, but thats another argument.) I haven't had any spikes since being on the metformin, and if I can stay at this dose, would plan to take in for the long run, at least until my weight is down and if testing reveals I have reversed the pre-diabetes. If not, then I stay on.

Its this balance that is so important for each of us to find.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #10  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

My period has been very irregular and weird for the last year at least. Tuesday I thought it was coming because "there it was" - Wednesday I weighed and only lost .8 after a very good week. But since Tuesday I have had NOTHING except cravings. As for my blood sugar - all week it has been in the 120's - the lowest in over a year. I am frustrated to say the least.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote