General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #1  

Default I left my job

I gave 3 weeks notice to my boss yesterday. And no, I don't have another job. I've mentioned before that my job is SUPER STRESSFUL, my bosses are terrible, and they dump on more and more work every day then wonder why the stuff from 10 minutes ago isn't done yet. And I'm not talking about simple little tasks either. So anyway... it's affecting my health and personal life and I decided that enough is enough. I've been wanting to switch careers into fitness instruction and/or personal training. I found a training program at a nearby gym and there could be a part time job in it for me at the end of the training in June. It's part time and only $10 an hour. But it's a year commitment and at the end I'd come out of it with 2 certifications that they paid for and a year of experience. In the meantime I'm hoping to fill in with some other part time work, which I've been looking for nonstop with no success so far. OH, and I met with the owner of the gym and the fitness trainer and they both LOVED me. I spent a few hours with them and all 3 of us are very excited so I'm confident about getting the job at the end.

I have money saved up so I should be ok and I know I won't be unemployed forever, even though it feels that way. But what kind of person gives up a good paying job and good benefits for practically nothing??? Am I totally insane?? I'm just trying to pursue what I love and unfortunately the nature of my full time job doesn't allow me to do both at once. The hours are insane. I don't have any kids so it's not like I have anyone depending on me. I'm 28 so I figure if I'm going to make a change, I'm doing it now while I'm still young and not "tied down."

I need advice!! Am I crazy?? Should I go crawling back to my employer and beg to stay?? I'm starting to freak out and I know it'll get worse once my last day rolls around.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/167/150

No not insane at all. It is scary right now but even though you did a drastic thing as it is very scary to quit any job right now you did the right thing. I have done this before when the job was too stressful and always got another one quickly.

You gave notice so you did not burn any bridges, you are doing it the right way. Stress can do a lot more to people than they realize, I can confess to that!

good luck!
carolinainfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Your not insane. I did the same thing over a year ago. I was working for LensCrafters as a lab tech. I was with them for 9 years, than I transferred to a store in Cali when I moved here to get married.
Long story short, it sucked. I was left alone a lot with a ton of work to do. My full time status was dropped to part time. One manager seemed to have a vendetta against me. She loved to wait till I was driving to work (40 minute drive from my home.) and she would call and cut my hours just as I got there.
The final straw was getting a 5% paycut for something that my lab supervisor PROMISED wouldn't be held against me. I broke a lot of lenses, going from state of the art equippment to older than dirt machines. They were so hard to get used to!!! He promised me more than once that it was okay, and no worries, that I wouldn't suffer for it, than BAM, my review had two places, where he brought out the breakages, not even blinking when I got a 5% pay cut.

I walked out that day. I also regretted it. Even though I was unhappy, I got one free pair of glasses each year, and still had decent benefits as well. I was scared, unemployed for 7 months. I rolled my 401k over into an IRA and used $7 grand to get through those months.
I finaly got another job at a kids clothing store, but for WAY less than what I was making. Basicly minimum wage and VERY low hours. I'm lucky if I get close to 20 hours.

But you know what? We made it through, and while its a struggle, I am SO much happier. I used to come home in tears so many times while working there. In my new job, after 6 months, I have yet to have a bad day!! I'm am going to interview for a higher position and better pay and hours with this company of Wed. Even if I wasn't to get it, I have high hopes that things will be so much better.

Its amazing what you can live with when you are happy with your job! Its scary at first but worth it in the long run. Good luck!
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I quit my job last summer. I loved my boss and the company and definitely enjoyed the work, but I was burnt out. I was travelling wayyy to much, stressed and always exhausted. It was stressful, and scary - but I couldn't be happier. I've still got a long way to go (one more year of this second undergrad degree, then 2 years for my masters) but I'm loving it. Best decision I ever made!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't think you are crazy. Good luck with your new career.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #6  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

I think you absolutely did the right thing in leaving that job. I did the same thing almost 3 years ago.I quit a job I loved with good pay and benefits because I could no longer work with my boss. Funny thing about it, she was my friend for years before she asked me to leave another job and work for her. She is a super-perfectionist and was never satisfied with anything I did.
The job was super high pressure but I loved the work and I worked at 150% at all times. It affected my health and happiness so much it was ridiculous.
I left, and after about 6 months, I realized that I had done what I had to do.
I started designing and selling jewelry and I love it.
Give yourself some time and you will be surprised at how things fall into place.
Oh, and by the way, leaving that job helped me to take off 19 lbs and maintain the loss. (I'm now starting on losing another 23 pounds). Best of luck!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #7  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

good luck with the change I hope everything works out for you.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #8  

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has gone through this. I just have to be patient and trust that things will fall into place. I may have to struggle with money for a while, but I have a savings and I will just suck it up in order to pursue what I want to do!!
It helps knowing that I'm not alone and that you guys all came out of it ok!! I will trust that I will too. Thanks for the support.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #9  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I don't think you're crazy. There comes a point in life where it's just not worth it. Stress can and will make your life miserable!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #10  

If you are in the US, have you thought about filing for unemployment? Usually you only get it if you're fired or if you're laid off, but if you can prove that your working conditions were bad enough, you can also get it. I have a friend who quit her job because of extreme stress. She studied up the verbiage on the unemployment web site, and was able to write up a statement about why she should be receiving it, and she was eligible!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
If you are in the US, have you thought about filing for unemployment? Usually you only get it if you're fired or if you're laid off, but if you can prove that your working conditions were bad enough, you can also get it. I have a friend who quit her job because of extreme stress. She studied up the verbiage on the unemployment web site, and was able to write up a statement about why she should be receiving it, and she was eligible!
I thought about unemployment but I figured I just wouldn't get it. But I will definitely check into this!! Thanks for the tip!!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #12  
Loving life...loving me

S/C/G: 234/226/150!

Height: 5'7"

Many of us don't have the courage to try something different because of all the "what if"s out there...I'm glad you put your health first, stress can do a number on us, and sadly. Good luck at the gym/training!! It may pay not so much, but you'll be taking are of yourself while you're at it that's a big plus! Later with your certs and all you will be able to look for something bigger I would think... In any case, give it your all! The biggest rewards in life are usually harder to get!
wowzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Many of us don't have the courage to try something different because of all the "what if"s out there...I'm glad you put your health first, stress can do a number on us, and sadly. Good luck at the gym/training!! It may pay not so much, but you'll be taking are of yourself while you're at it that's a big plus! Later with your certs and all you will be able to look for something bigger I would think... In any case, give it your all! The biggest rewards in life are usually harder to get!
Thanks for this!! I find your words very inspiring and supportive and I definitely need that right now. The "what if's" have definitely been holding me back and making me second guess my decision. There's no turning back now though, what's done is done. And I don't WANT to turn back, I'm just TERRIFIED!!! Logically I don't see any reason why I WON'T get a job teaching somewhere consistently, like at a gym or whatever. I'm getting my certifications so now I just need someone to give me a chance!! Hopefully that's where this training in June will come in and it'll be a stepping stone to something bigger (although low paying, I'm sure, LOL!)
Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #14  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Well, I think you did what was best for you. I have quit more jobs that were stressful, boring or just didn't like with no job to speak of. Well each time it got better. I did it shortly before I got married. I REFUSE to do something at the expense of myself. My philosophy has always been, if I get too sick or die from the job, they would put someone else in the seat to do what I was doing. SO always choose yourself!!
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #15  
Loving life...loving me

S/C/G: 234/226/150!

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany0809 View Post
Thanks for this!! I find your words very inspiring and supportive and I definitely need that right now. The "what if's" have definitely been holding me back and making me second guess my decision. There's no turning back now though, what's done is done. And I don't WANT to turn back, I'm just TERRIFIED!!! Logically I don't see any reason why I WON'T get a job teaching somewhere consistently, like at a gym or whatever. I'm getting my certifications so now I just need someone to give me a chance!! Hopefully that's where this training in June will come in and it'll be a stepping stone to something bigger (although low paying, I'm sure, LOL!)

Yeah, I hear you! almost 10yrs ago I moved to a place where I knew nobody, with just a few hundred bucks in my pocket...it was SCARY! I still don't know how I did it, but right now I couldn't see myself being somewhere different. It wasn't easy, but has put me closer my personal goals...there's still some trade offs that I struggle with, but every big accomplishment I can proudly say "I DID IT!"

Remember that happiness isn't measured with money, that's for sure...if you find that you're happy being an instructor, even with a lower pay, in the long run you'll be happier than at a stressful job with crappy coworkers and a higher pay.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Oh, sorry about my misspellings on my other message, I was typing on the stupid phone
wowzers is offline   Reply With Quote