Old 05-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Smile The Gabriel method

Anyone interested in joining a thread for the Gabriel method? I started doing it a week ago and I just love it.

Some components of the method are similar to the setpoint diet, which I had great success on years ago. What happened? Trauma and letting it all fall by the wayside again. In Gabriel's analysis, on some level, I decided that fat would protect me from more trauma. A big part of the method is convincing both mind and body that it's safe (in fact safer) to be slim.

Here's what I've noticed so far:

* Mostly no desire to eat when I'm not hungry, sometimes an absolute aversion to food.
* A thrilling feeling of the possibilities of life.
* More energy.
* I'm HAPPY!
* More mental space because I'm not preoccupied with thoughts of food/how fat I am all day.
* More thinking about how to make sure my own needs are met, rather than how to cope with what I have to do to look after everything and everyone else.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I recommend the book. It's only about $10 from Amazon.

The only thing I don't really like is the guy's website, which is too hype-y and looks like every bogus plan website. It makes it look like a scam. But I suspect that's due to the site creators. I wish legitimate people would put more time and thought into their sites and make them better.

Anyway, that's my only gripe. I lost two pounds last week (I'm going to WW -- I'm paid up till Sept. so I'm not going to quit weighing myself.).

Anyone else trying/thinking of trying this?

Last edited by Arabella; 05-24-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I don't want to be dense but I don't understand the method. I've looked up a few links and they tell me what the results will be but not how.
Have you got time to post a little bit of how a day might work?
Thankyou, I'd be genuinely interested, as my overeating has never been about hunger but all in my mind.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #3  

In a nutshell, the guided meditation and visualizations help you stop wanting to eat more food than you need and convince your mind that it wants to make your body slim. So it's kind of automatic, which is pretty sweet. No more struggling!

I've been working toward this kind of approach to some extent anyway but this really crystallizes it for me. I know if I'm not hungry and I want to eat something, that I probably need something other than food. A nap, a visit, some play time... So if I tend to my needs, eat when I'm hungry and not otherwise, that alone would do it. Add the visualization, meditation, etc... I love this method.

There's a lot of theory and research behind it, which is explained and documented in the book.

The focus is on adding healthy food to your diet, rather than taking junk out right away. He suggests that people eat as much as they want of whatever they want. If someone had a really crappy diet, it could take them quite a while to start losing. Although I've also heard stories of people having lightbulb moments that started them on their way immediately.

I haven't been spending a lot of time doing visualizations and etc. I just try to use positive self-talk throughout the day and possibly do one or two of the exercises he recommends. Most nights I've listened to the guided meditation, which is very relaxing.

Here's an interview I found.

Last edited by Arabella; 05-24-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Thanks for the tip about getting his book at Amazon. I've been considering buying it but was turned off by the idea of paying for a bunch of downloads that I really wasn't interested in. $10 is definitely more budget-friendly.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 AM   #5  

Default Feeling sad this morning

I've been here before, when I set out to actually deal with life instead of just getting through any way I can. Things come up to the surface. I know part of my issue has always been burying my feelings. Numbing myself so I don't feel.

The lesson, I guess, is that I can feel sad and be okay. If I don't let myself feel sadness, I'm not going to feel other things either. And I want to feel alive, not numbed. I'll hang with the feeling and see where it takes me.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #6  
banned

Arabella, I am really disappointed to see so little interest in the gabriel method here. I think it is a real shame.

I am having great success with it, lost 30kgs so far.

Maybe the book puts the lazy off, but it should be essential reading for everyone.

<edited by admin per forum rules>

Love
Marie

Last edited by msmendez11; 07-08-2009 at 11:59 PM.
msmendez11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:25 AM   #7  
a work in progress...

Hey... this may be just what I need to get back on board w/Mr Gabriel again! I started the book, really got into it, aaaaand.... stopped. I will make a point of FINISHING the book now, and getting back into the visualizations and exercises. THANK YOU, ARABELLA!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #8  

And thank you, Kat! I've been rereading it and I feel like I need daily reinforcement. Emotional obesity R me. But I know I can do this.

Marie, thanks for posting! I'm thrilled to hear your results. We'd love to hear more about your journey if you're willing to tell...
Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #9  

Thumbs up

I've been religiously listening to the audio file pretty much every night. I had the thought, yesterday, that I would absolutely get to goal just doing that and exercising the way I have been.

I started adding sprints into my running pretty much as soon as I read the book because it made so much sense. I've heard from other fitness experts that whatever you try to do, exercise-wise, your body is going to work to make that easier for you. And the sprints have made an enormous difference in my body. Not my weight, at least not yet. But I can see and feel the difference all over. And I know that even just doing as much as I'm doing will make this happen for me. I can tell from the improvement in my body that continuing will get me there.

But I want to start doing more -- spend a little more time with meditation and visualization.

The first week after I'd read the book I had a new lease on life. It was incredible. Then, the next week, although I kept listening to the guided meditation, things weren't as good. My body fighting back, I guess. I do believe that, beneath all our attempts, many of us are extremely reluctant to let go of the struggle. Because to do so means to deal with things that we've prevented ourselves from seeing or feeling. And we fear change. That's me, for sure. I need to come unstuck without coming unhinged...

So much of this is about adding things instead of taking things away -- add joy, meaning, self-care, rest, fun, etc. to my life and I'm not going to feel like eating when I'm not hungry. Also I find -- as I did before, years ago, on the Setpoint diet -- that when I'm hungry I don't want junk. I want nutrition!

Marie, thanks so much for sharing your story. You know, 30 kgs in six months is awesome!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #10  

Height: 6'

Default I would LOVE to join in....

Hello All! I started The Gabriel Method within the last month and couldn't agree more with everything you are saying! I have been scouring the web trying to find a forum that would help to share ideas, recipes and questions regarding the method.
I have been struggling with my weight my whole life and I truly feel that The Gabriel Method is the "missing link".

I was wondering what are some examples of what you ladies are eating for breakfast. I have been making the smoothie from his website, but I definitely want some other options.

Also, do you HAVE to ground the flax seed in order to reap the full benefits, or is it okay just to put them on a salad?

Thanks for any input, and I am so excited to find some other enthusiasts!!!

Thanks,
Melissa
mkebeling3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #11  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

I ordered the book last night because I want to check it out. I do not believe in dieting as I have enough of a problem eating 3 meals and 2 snacks.
I have started listening to the visualization. I did find a website but it was mostly aussie folks and the products and places did not help me. If anyone is interested I would like to start a blog or a little forum dedicated to the gabriel method or at least make sure this thread is active so we can share sources and such.

I will start off: for the grinder to grind the flaxseed/linseed check out Walmart (costs $15-$20) or Bed, Bath and Beyond (costs $20).
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #12  

Talking Basic supplies and begining feelings

I have found the flax seed either at Trader Joe's or at Giant supermarket in the organic section. At Giant they have it in bulk. I was also able to find the sprouted bread at both locations.

As for the Whey protein powder, I got mine at GNC. I also got the digestive enzymes there. The probiotics I got at Target, but I am sure you can also get them at GNC for one stop shopping. The Fish Oil I got at BJ's because of the cost savings!

I think those are the basic supplies I have gotten.

So far I have been doing pretty well at adding live foods to every meal...definitely more so than I used to. I am still having cravings for sweet stuff...but less often. I have a severe sweet tooth and have struggled with weight my whole life. I don't expect it to be a quick change. BUT having said that I do feel a difference. I am accepting my body more and I have been listening to the CD every night. I know that even just the small additions I have made will make a difference in my whole life. I have a 5 month old, and I CAN do the Gabriel Method even with taking care of him. I did not feel that way about any other program. I would love to hear about how everyone else is doing!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266/248/130

Height: 5'4

Hi I am new to this form, but I have been on the Gabriel Method almost 2 weeks now, and the change is crazy. I feel so much better, more alert, i remember things I never wouldhave and I have a ton more energy. I was totaly starving my bod of the vital things it needed, like jon said. I have 6 pills I take a day Milti vit for woman, Omega 3 fish oils, vit E, B12, Probiotic, and digestive enzymes and I am Loving the chance. I have lost 18lbs, and my goal is to go from 266 to 130. I hope all of you who are interested in tring it, do, and I hope we can all get to our goals together by whatever paths we chose. Best of luck to all...!
shularc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #14  

Default Meal questions

Shulark- So glad to hear of your success. I have not yet gotten on the scale. (as per Jon's idea of waiting 6 months) BUT I don't quite feel as if I have lost anything yet. I would love to know what your day looks like as far as food goes. Breakfast is especially a concern. I was making the smoothie from his website, but it just wasn't doing it for me as an 'everyday' meal. I have now started to have 2 omega eggs and once slice of sprouted bread with some various fruits on the side.

I am also not in love with Flax seed. I put it on every salad I have, but I don't grind it up for that. Is this okay? I think my issue with it is the ground texture of the flax seed. I just haven't found the way to truly work it in other than on salads in its whole form.

Also, do you eat all of your veggies raw (or live) or do you cook some of them. I know raw is better, but I want to mix it up some too!

Again, I couldn't be happier with how I feel and how much healthier I am eating. I am just a bit of a "Type A" person and I want to do this 'right.' (though I know I need to listen to my body..which is definitely a learning process)

Thanks for any input!

~Melissa
Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #15  

Just popping in with a quick answer -- you have to grind flax seed to get the benefit of it. If you don't grind it, it's only fiber because your body can't break it down.

Welcome to the thread, all! I intend to get back in soon.