South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default I hate starting phase 2

I always stall for awhile until I get it figured out. I was doing great on phase 1, happily losing the weight again-even lost about as much as the 1st time I did SBD. Then wam-start adding things back and nothing. Hey at least I'm not gaining.

So back to the drawing board, figure out what I'm doing wrong. What I'm doing differently. I do know for a fact that I was not eating as many vegetables as before-primarily because I got lazy. And I think I have been eating bigger portions of meat/protein instead with just a few pieces of fruit and that one unplanned corn tamale at a friend's house-hey it was home made and so good. I did turn down the offer of a bunch to bring home for later.

I have to remember that the majority of non-starchy veggies are my friends and corn is more like a distant relative that should only visit once in a great while.

The plus side is that I haven't gained any back.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Sarah! You'll figure it out! For me, portion control is a key to losing.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Got to get those veggies in. I really think that is key to this plan. Then everything else falls into place for me. I can't overeat too much if my stomach is full of vegetables. I would watch the cheese too if you're eating more than 2 servings.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #4  

Portion control is a biggie. Plus in the beginning, it's exciting to be starting a new program and it's easy to follow the basic rules. Then complacency hits and I'm not as careful about those little nibble here, a little taste there. They add up quite a bit.

And I'm not being careful about getting my 10,000 steps a day either. It all adds up.

I was also doing a combo of calorie counting and SBD because I can eat all day long without ever actually feeling full. I had stopped weighing and measuring my portions thinking I could do it visually. Obviously not.

So back to paying attention to the little things, getting the veggies in and stop tasting my dh meals as I cook.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Awhile back, I decided to go on a hunt in the original SBD book to rediscover just what Dr A discussed regarding portion size. I found one statement in the Phase One Meal Plan;
" The South Beach Diet doesn't require you to measure what you eat in ounces, calories, or anything else. The meals should be of normal size-enough to satisfy your hunger, but no more than that."
It has been a very powerful phrase for me to remember, because it says to ME that I'm not really OP if I am consciously overeating. I have started plating my food rationally and am not going back for seconds. It is helping, because I am not techno-savvy and calorie counting, for me, would be an incredible PITA.

I've started working with the Beck Diet Plan and one of the "tools" is not standing while eating. This tool has helped in two ways;
1) I am recognizing just how much I eat on the fly
2) How those bites are really calories that add up.

Last night I was super hungry and was starting to graze as I made the salad. I sliced a 1/2 tomato and sat down and ate it. It was enough to be able to get back up and return to food sanity(vs mindless eating) while fixing dinner.

BTW-My title would be "I hate restarting phase 1". I dislike the restriction enough to want to do the best I can on P2 and continue to lose, even if at a snails pace.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #6  

I started doing Beck awhile back but never got past the first week. I do understand the principles but it hasn't clicked enough for me to actually do them.

Eating standing up and distracted eating are my big problems. I eat at my desk at work. I nibble as I'm fixing meals. All those little things add up.

Sarah