Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #1  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Has anyone read Geneen Roth's new book?

In the current issue of Oprah Magazine, there is an article about Geneen Roth's new book "Women, Food, and God." I really agreed with the basic premise of the book that often our problems with food "are not about the weight." So today I ordered the book from Barnes & Noble (they were sold out). Author Geneen Roth is known for her books about weight issues as she has experienced them herself. I am looking forward to reading the book rather than just the excerpt in the magazine.

If anyone has read the book, I'd love to know what you think of it and the ideas she expresses.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #2  

I have just finished it and to be perfectly honest - I loved it! The ideas are mainly about solving the issues behind the compulsive eating. I read a lot of books on the subject of food and nutrition and I have been looking for something like that for quite some time now. It's not about diet and not even about weight loss per se, it is more about why we tend to overeat in the first place and how to deal with it.
In my humble opinion - if you are going to read only one book in search of answers to your weight issues - this should be it.
The only negative thing I can say is that she uses this flowery lyrical language that can be a little hard to follow, as if she sometimes foregoes clarity for the beauty of the language. Other than that - I don't see anything bad in this book, and don't worry, if you're not particularly religious - it's not really about God.
NinaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #3  
Carol

NinaV,
I'm now reading the book and I am so glad I got it. I know that I am an emotional eater and this book helps me remember that food never solved a problem for me ... it just created a new one: excess weight to lose. The way that I have lost now 20 pounds is by recognizing that I reach for food to deal with any uncomfortable emotions. On the other hand, I (and most of us) also use food to celebrate good times. So I have to get a handle on all the reasons that I eat, not just one. Although I have less weight to lose than some others on this forum, I can tell you that I have been trying to lose that
thirty pounds since I had my children ... and they're 37 and 38 now!
The book is a great reminder of the correct place that food needs to have in my life. I am sure I will re-read it often for support.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/160/150

Height: 5'8

I saw the episode of oprah where she was promoting the book. I am definitely interested and am considering buying it. We'll see maybe I'll check it out, it sounds great from all the reviews
Natasha629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/207/160

Height: 5' 5"

I haven't read the book, but read her column in Good Housekeeping magazine each month. I will have to check into the book.
Pam
Pamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #6  

Bumping this to the top because she's on Oprah right now (I'm in Chicago which airs Oprah at 9am) so, if you're in another part of the country where it airs at the standard 4pm, you have plenty of time to set up a DVR or VCR to tape it... or just watch it at 4.

I've had 3 "ah ha" moments and the show is only halfway over. Wow. I'm buying the book later today.

Last edited by redsox33; 05-12-2010 at 10:35 AM.
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #7  

Ok, make that FOUR "ah ha" moments. Super wow.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #8  
Losing It In Colorado

S/C/G: 217/217/150

Height: 5' 9"

Ok, after reading all your reviews, I just ordered the book! I hope that I can get as much out of it as all of you. I really like her Good Housekeeping article. Thanks for the recommendation!
LosinitinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #9  

The books is amazing! I'm almost finished with it. I recommend it for anyone who's an emotional eater.
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 232/211/150

Height: 5'4''

I saw her on Oprah today and was intrigued (sp?), so I ordered the book :-) I've been struggling to get into onederland for a few months now and it seems the closer I get the more I sabotage it by eating to celebrate that I'm almost there. It is a cycle I need to break and hope this book will help. Good luck to everyone!
81togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #11  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

My little sis called me tonight an said "Oh, I heard of a book on Oprah you should read!!"

Beat her to it!

I've been a fan of Geneen Roth's since I picked up her book When You Eat from The Refridgerator, Pull Up A Chair. Also, I read When Food is Love
- must have been almost 20 years ago.

She really has a wonderfully gentle and positive message for those of us who struggle with compulsive/emotional eating.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #12  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Bought the book at Target today. I watched Oprah yesterday, and wow could I really see myself in her descriptions. I don't let myself feel emotions. I feel I have gotten my excessive eating under control, but I bought the book to learn how to accept and deal with emotions, instead of one day turning back to food. Can't wait to read it!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I plan on buying this book as soon as I can scrounge up the money! I know I need to deal with the reasons I overeat instead of just going on another "plan." Sure, I was able to lose 110 pounds, but I never really dealt with what made me obese in the first place. And now that I have to lose 65 pounds AGAIN, I want this to be the last time I do it. I want to be healthy on the inside and the outside!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #14  
Carol

LisaMarie,
I ordered my copy on Barnes&Noble online for about $15.00. At the store it was $24.99, so it saved me 10 bucks!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #15  

Target wanted 16.39, so I bought it. I didn't want to wait for it to arrive. Do you think maybe we could start a book club?