Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #1  

Default Job interview. Worst possible time.

I stopped eating refined sugars as of Sunday cold-turkey. Having done this before, I knew the first week would be especially miserable... headaches, mental fogginess, fatigue, and emotional instability. (I've never gotten past day 4 before because I felt so darn bad.) Today's the first day I've actually felt these symptoms, and they're steadily getting worse, but I'm really proud of myself because I have no desire to give up. The scales show I'm down three pounds, and my stomach feels a little smaller. I know I'll be happier and healthier if I can push through.

But... I've been unemployed since October, and I haven't had a job interview in a couple of months. Today I get a call. My interview is tomorrow. Now I'm torn. How can I present my best self when I'm detoxing from sugar? When I can't even think straight? Should I medicate with sugar temporarily and start again after the interview process? That seems like failure. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me perk up?
Lyri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Congrats on the job interview!

I find that dairy really helps my sugar issues- I have plain yogurt with just a little splenda and some vanilla extract in the afternoon and it helps keep me sharp. Make sure to ea a good lunch with some healthy protein, fiber, veggies, etc. Good luck!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #3  

This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks, SouthLake!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
Should I medicate with sugar temporarily and start again after the interview process? That seems like failure. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me perk up?
Let's pretend you're an alcoholic and re-phrase this: "Should I start drinking temporarily again, then try quitting after the interview process?"

Hmm. On both accounts, I have to say that's a pretty bad idea.

There will always be stress and difficulty in life. Now is the time to find other ways to manage it.

Yes, eating good carbs will help minimize your detox symptoms: Dairy, beans, whole grains with no added sugars, fruits and veggies. But also, you have to wrestle with your emotional dependence on this substance and be determined to really get free of it.

You can do it Good luck on the interview!
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #5  

Wow, WarMaiden. You're exactly right. Thanks for helping me see the situation from a different perspective.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Lyri - on South Beach, we call it the "flu", and beans make us feel a whole lot better.

Good luck tomorrow!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #7  

The "flu". How appropriate! It really is a miserable state of being. Thank heavens it's temporary. I'm going to have beans for dinner, thanks to your advice, Twynn. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
Let's pretend you're an alcoholic and re-phrase this: "Should I start drinking temporarily again, then try quitting after the interview process?"
I like this.

When first reading this thread I thought hmmm if it was me, I would probably just eat some sugar and worry about it later. But putting it that way - absolutely, no way - I would tough it out! And find something else to make me feel as good as possible.

You can do it and good luck - good luck for the interview and good luck for getting over sugar!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #9  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

TwynnB - Funny you say the "flu." I had a massive sugar binge last night and it was the first time I have had sugar for several months. And today, I feel like I am coming down with the flu. I had no idea that a come down off sugar would feel so bad.

Lyri - I hope you stick out the unpleasant symptoms. And ace your job interview. Good luck!
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #10  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Everyone's advice has been great and if it works and makes you feel better that's fantastic.

However, if it was me I would make sure not to jeopardise something like a job interview because of sugar withdrawal. If you can manage without it then of course go for it, but if you think it will actually affect your performance then it might be worth thinking about having sugar beforehand. You won't be a failure for doing so. You said you haven't had an interview for a long time so take full advantage of the opportunity - just make sure that if you do have to make changes to your sugar intake you get back right on track as soon as you leave the interview.

Best of luck with both!!
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #11  

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I tried the beans and dairy, and I felt surprisingly more normal, so I felt like I could make it without sugar. The interview went great, and I have another one next Wednesday! Thanks again for helping me.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Congrats, Lyri! I really hope the job comes through for you.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #13  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Woooooo!! Way to go! It's great that you've conquered both the sugar cravings and your first interview! Good luck for the next one!!
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote