Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5

Default Tuna without mayo???

I am currently on a high protein low carb diet, but even in that i have decided to let go of all fatty foods such as mayo... i have a busy schedule and cannot cook food everyday. Tuna, thus, is the easiest and most convenient protein item... but without mayo it seems too bland to me... any suggestions to make the tuna taste better quickly or other high protein quick foods?
Sameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #2  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

I like it with a little olive oil and lemon juice. Sometimes I put just a little spicy brown mustard in it.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

I like hot sauce. I put that s*** on everything! lol
High in salt but low in calories.

Last edited by sotypical; 05-11-2010 at 05:38 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197.6/189/145

Height: 5'6

I put a little bit of olive oil, dried basil, dried chives, chopped red, green, yellow peppers, chopped onions, and minced garlic....totally delish!
bellenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I use hot and sweet mustard in my tuna. Or lowfat parmesan ranch dressing from Trader Joes. Or honey mustard salad dressing, or my personal favorite, tzatziki.

Mayo doesn't add any flavor for me...I like flavored things much better.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Tzatziki would be fantastic in tuna! Can't believe I have never thought of that.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5

wow!!! thank you ladies.. is shall try these!
Sameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

Disclaimer: I havent tried it on my tuna yet but it tasted somewhat acceptable (as in no other option) on the knife

Have you heard of Walden Farms? they make a lot of dressings and sauces that they say are 0 carb 0 sugar 0 fat....0 calorie even. So i bought a jar of their Fat free Carb free mayo last shopping trip. I haven't really had a chance to experiment with it yet, but I'll just throw it out there, maybe this can be your "training wheels" for cutting mayo out completely.

Personally not a major fan of mayo anyway, but I like it now and then. I usually do versions of what the other ladies have mentioned above. I love mustard. Especially whole grain mustard. So much flavor!!
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #9  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

honey mustard is definitely my fave with tuna, but sometimes I cant help but throw a half teaspoon of mayo with it.

I agree I bet tzatziki would be awesome
RienQueNny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you're eating low-carb, be careful of going too low-fat. Very low-fat and very low-carb can be a bad combination. You don't need a lot of fat, but you do need some.

That being said, I make tuna and other canned fish in a lot of ways, with and without mayo.

With mayo - I use Hellman's canola or olive oil mayo (45 and 50 calories respectively). I sometimes thin it further with about a tablespoon of water or skim milk.

Sloppy Tuna - (a sloppy joe made with a can of albacore tuna or canned chicken) - sounds gross, tastes great. Albacore tuna and low-carb barbecue sauce (or low-carb ketchup with a bit of Splenda, dash of vinegar and a smidge of mustard), a bit of diced green onion or dried onion. Surprisingly it tastes almost the same whether you use canned chicken or albacore tuna (I haven't tried it with other more fishier tuna).

I also like tuna with a vinegar and oil-based dressing. I use splenda and rice vinegar, salt and pepper and a bit of onion or garlic powder (rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar is so much milder than regular vinegar that little or no oil is needed).

If you like curry and have an asian grocery nearby, you may be able to find "Smiling Fish" canned fish. I love their sardines in curry sauces. Very good hot or cold (but you've got ot check the label, some of the sauces aren't low-carb).

I'll sometimes boil 6 to 8 eggs, to have for a few days. I don't usually peel them until I need them (unless I make deviled eggs). Mashing eggs with low-carb, low-cal ranch dressing makes a nice egg salad (it's also a good dressing for tuna salad in place of the mayo). An oil and vinegar dressing also works with eggs.

I buy low-sodium deli meats (and look for the ones that are obviously whole meat, not mashed and formed like bologna). I spread the deli meat with plain or flavored cream cheese or neufchatel (the low-fat cream cheese), then a bit of pickle or raw veggie (bell pepper and green onion is my favorite combo) for crunch in the center and roll them up.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I like it with a little light mayo and lots of mustard.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

This is such an awesome thread. I actually just bought some mustard last night called "Sweet with Heat" - going to have to try this in my Tuna for sure!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Avocado! I do a half of a large or a whole small one with one can, mash it up, add some lemon and hot sauce and onion and stuff- OH MAN it's soo good
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #14  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I buy tuna that is packed in olive oil (Genova is the brand) and when I'm pressed for time I eat it straight out of the can (i do drain it first). Or just dump it on top of a salad. I love love love this tuna.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #15  
The spangled kind

S/C/G: 225/135/135

Height: 5'4"

With tuna, I generally use some combination of Laughing Cow light, honey mustard, and/or (plain) greek yogurt.
Cotinga is offline   Reply With Quote