Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Mother's Day buffet

So tomorrow we're going to a Mother's Day buffet at 10am...horrible time...that's like snack time, but it's just the way it worked out. I'm planning on getting up and going for a 4mile jog before hand and eating a small snack and a cup of coffee (maybe 200 cals or so) around 8am and then using the buffet as my lunch and pm snack. But I don't know ahead of time what is going to be there and I have a major weekness for dessert. So I'm planning on sticking to the salad/fruit bar, I'm sure there will be one and doing my very best to have one very small dessert and calling it a day with a sensible dinner and I know that I'll go over my cals a bit, but I'm little concerned about keeping it under control around the dessert table. Any thoughts?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know this may not be helpful, but is there any reason you are going to a buffet? Is it for your mother/mil or do you have any choice in it?

Otherwise, just say you won't have any dessert and that is it. If it helps any, just think how long the food has been sitting out and it is probably all dried out, icky anyway.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Avoid the dessert table at all costs. think about how much fruit or salad or meat you can have for the calories in a single dessert. If you simply can't resist, how about a couple of tablespoons of ice cream in a cup of coffee? We used to do that when we were too poor to have dessert, one scoop and split it into our coffee and call it date night.

Good luck. I wouldn't be brave enough to even go to a buffet right now.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

The buffet is for my Mom and kind of a tradition for the family. I don't why they take me, honestly I don't eat enough to make the cost worth it anymore. I tried really hard to get us to just make breakfast at our house, but I lost the battle. Of course, I never said I didn't want to go for weight purposes, maybe that would have changed their minds, but it would have felt selfish to do that, although I'm a mom now too, so Mother's Day isn't just about my mom anymore, but that's a whole other thread on a completely different forum.

Anyway, I'm just nervous, because it's worse than a restaurant with not having nutritional information availble, but I need to learn how to eyeball and make good choice and avoid temptations...this will be a good test for me I think. I'm hoping that just recently falling into the 150s will help me to stay strong. I waiting for that day that I just naturally gravitate to better foods...I'm getting there. Lately I'd gladly choose a low cal salad over something fatty. So I'm hoping tomorrow I make good choices. I think the other key will be avoiding the champagne because alcohol always messes with my will power.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Go and have a good time! It looks like you have been calorie counting for months now and have a good idea of what is high in calories and what isn't. Just remember that most restaurants add extra fat and sugar where they don't need to. Make the best choices you can on the buffet. I would suggest taking small portions as well. If you try something and it doesn't taste good then don't eat it!

I occasionally go to an asian buffet in town. I'll eat sushi (sans some of the rice), vegetables, steamed dumplings, shrimp, and lean chicken or beef. At the end of the meal I will get a small plate of dessert with very small portions. I'll take small bites of each dessert and if it isn't FABULOUS I don't eat the rest. That way I'm not getting much dessert at all but I am treating myself. I still try to calorie count the whole meal and throw in tablespoon (or more) of oil into the count to try to account for the extra calories in restaurant food. It definitely is an off plan meal, but these occasional meals haven't thrown me completely for a loop or off plan.

I think you have a good plan going. Even if it doesn't go as well as you like you will know how to do better next time. Information is valuable. I hope you go and enjoy your day!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote